“Pleasant stay, food and location”
Review of Royal Inn

Royal Inn
Ranked #124 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Sydney
“Pleasant stay, food and location”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed here in a room for 4 (double, single and not so solid 'camp bed'). Friendly service, decent food, nice roof top bar though closes at 10pm. They booked us bus to Ho Chi MInh for $15, though if we had gone direct to bus company it was just $10, thuogh that did include transport to bus stop. I am sure there are just as nice places, but it was fine for our 2 night stay

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed here after a big trip around Vietnam and a few days along the Mekong, so booked in based on reviews and photos on the internet. The price was double what I had been paying in other hotels, yet the hotel was below the standard of hotels half the price.
Upon arrival I thought the place looked lovely, modern, nicely decorated, yet once I got to the room I was sorely disappointed. There were NO WINDOWS>....and he room stunk of cigarettes. Obviously the previous person was a smoker, and having no windows, the whole room smelt horribly.
The room was dark, and lacked any sense of atmosphere. The best thing about the stay here was the bathroom. Modern and clean.
I would not return nor would i ever recommend. The hotel did not appear busy during my stay, yet I was told there were no other rooms I could relocate to. I only stayed 1 night.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Although a small hotel, it was comfortable and staff were friendly. We had a huge room on the top level with a private bar (although I guess eventually it will be open to all guests.) Food was great, but we only ate breakfast there daily (free) overall a lovely place to stay and prices were cheap! Loved out time here. The only downside is its a little out but tuk tuks are around $1 so that was never as issue.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Amberlina80
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Well the title is as positive as this hotel gets,,, checked in with very pleasant reception staff,,,, got to a tiny box room with no window,,,towels in the bathroom torn and threadbare. The bed was very hard almost like just lying on wood, which really hurt my back.... No complimentary water. The breakfast was a choice of eggs or noodles that was all. This could be a really nice hotel but as it is at present I would never come back.

Room Tip: Well until this hotel changed I would really avoid
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Alan278

Travelers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

Basically, it a simple hotel, nothing fanciful and stuff. First day check in a twin bed, second day back to standard room which is so freaking small that the last night I book another superior room. The receptionist told me there is no more king bed and had to make me pissed off and suddenly there a king bed!? Bathtub with hair, which is quite distasteful.

Had to take a tut tut driver to the center area for night life and stuff. Kinda troublesome, if you want to use a driver, take note that it just 3 - 4 USD per trip, do not give them too much or being too kind to them!! As I was being cheated of 30 USD just for a 2 way trip, for just being too nice/stuipd for not checking the price before I came to Cambodia..

Other then that, enjoy yourself there..

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Simple_guy88
Milford Sound, New Zealand
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have stayed in the hotel twice, once by myself in a Deluxe Private Double and second time with a friend in a Superior Private Twin.
The Double room was awesome and there was nothing to complain about. It was clean and spacious as expected, tea/coffee making facilities, TV, mini bar, wifi, safe etc. The balcony was small but then you wouldn't want to sit out there anyway as it faces the main road where the traffic is insane (people use the honk instead of the signals so the noise is horrendous).

With the Twin we experienced a few problems in the bathroom; first the door didn't shut properly and the bathroom flooded after taking showers as the bath tub was leaking. There was no kettle in the room but I guess that's because the Double was Deluxe and the Twin only Superior.

Breakfast was alright, it filled us up but I guess for some guys it wouldn't be filling enough. We ate dinner there too and quite enjoyed it. Service was good, the girls were very friendly. The reception staff was helpful too, but I found that the girl was more competent in dealing with issues, answering questions etc. The guys sometimes didn't really have a clue.

They have a pick up service from the airport and since my friend and I arrived on different days we experienced a complete different service. All drivers are called Mr. Lee but you might get lucky and get the chatty older guy that engages you in a conversation about politics/history etc or you get the younger guy who doesn't say anything at all. When I booked the city sightseeing tour with Mr. Lee that was offered by the hotel I didn't know there were different drivers so I was quite disappointed when the driver got into the car, turns around to us and says "Where do you want to go?". He didn't say anything during the tour, wasn't a guide at all just pretty much a driver. He even dropped us off at S21 45 min before it actually opened, so he knew nothing. For 40 USD we felt ripped off. Make sure you either point out which driver you want or do the tour with someone else.

In short, it's a nice hotel and when you have not too high expectations, you can overlook things like the leaking bath tub etc. We didn't mind and so we enjoyed our stay but other people might feel put off.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Giwikatja
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Stayed in a deluxe double for four nights @ $45/night. Room included a double bed and a cot, which crowded the room. I had booked this room because the advertisements stated it had a balcony. Apparently, the Royal Inn's definition of a balcony differs from mine, as it had just enough room to stand next to the two aircon units taking up the already minimal space. Although the room was clean, with the basic hotel appointments, I doubt I would book it again at the same price.

The rooftop bar/lounge was closed during our entire stay.

The included breakfast offered several choices from a set menu. The omlet was great and included several different breads. The noodles also get a good review.

The staff, while polite and efficient, seemed a bit removed, with the exception of the bellman and our housekeeper, who were both very attentive and proactive.

In short, The Royal Inn isn't a bad place to stay, but it doesn't live up to it's potential, and quite honestly, isn't that memorable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family