“Excellent Khmer food”

Ranked #21 of 1,517 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: Cambodian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Malis is a landmark restaurant that has long enjoyed a reputation for pushing the boundaries of fusion food with traditional, original and new age Cambodian cuisine. With capacious seating and four VIP rooms set in a courtyard around a fountain, it is undeniably the capital's premier gourmet dining experience. Its busy kitchen is home to Luu Meng, Cambodia's only masterchef, whose artfully prepared dishes have graced tables around the world.
Reviewed June 13, 2014

The combination of outdoor eating, calm surroundings and excellent food mark Malis out as one of the better dining experiences in Phnom Penh.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,714)

Reviewed June 12, 2014

Malis is an excellent special occasion restaurant. My girlfriend and I travel with conservative budgets and Malis was our big date night in Cambodia. We made a reservation in advance for our Saturday night dinner and we saw other parties turned away even in the dry season. I strongly recommend specifying a table in a dining room with AC if you come during the dry season no matter how tempted you are by the beautiful, lush garden.
Malis is on a main street, easy to find and a short tuk tuk ride away from the river front. We arrived and were graciously greeted. We were seated at a great table near the pond. It was hot and they said they would bring us a fan in about 15 minutes when the table next to us was leaving. Huge menus and reasonable wine list were read by the flashlights they gave us because of the dim romantic ambiance around the pool. We ordered a bottle of reasonably priced, refreshing sounding white wine and appetizers. The wine came and both my girlfriend and the waiter noticed that I was visibly unhappy with the heat. Taking a break to wash my hands before the appetizer arrived I went to the bathroom and walked passed the AC dining room. The cool air pouring from the door was incredible and I knew I would never make it passed the end of the appetizer. I asked the host if we could be seated in the AC on my way back to the table and she checked her list and said nothing was available but would move us to the side under a fan and if something opened up she would move us again. The appetizer, a seafood and noodle dish was excellent but I was still very hot. After we finished the appetizer I got the great news that a table was available inside. I knew I would enjoy the amazing dishes so much more and greatly thanked her. We sat at the new table and placed our order for mains. We shared crab fried rice which was amazing and baby pok choy. My girlfriend had fish and I had the tiger prawns from the grill. I liked the prawns but the eggplant they sat on had far too much basil. We were next a window and saw others sitting outside that also looked in pain from the heat but too shy to ask to move. So happy to be in AC we stuck around for desert, my girlfriend got the coconut ice cream and it was incredible. I had the pumpkin creme brulee which is more like butternut squash than pumpkin, or perhaps just less sweet than I was expecting. My girlfriends ice cream was so good that after I ate the creme brulee I ordered the pumpkin sorbet. I think they forgot to put it in because it took an incredibly long time to come but were had no place to be. It also tasted like butternut squash and not as good as her ice cream which brought an even bigger smile to her face. It was a wonderful experience, pricey for Cambodia but the same as we would spend on a weekend dinner in NYC. This was bar far my favorite dinner of our vacation.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We had high hopes of Malis and thought the outside seating in the garden was super. We settled down for some good food and first had to wrestle with the menu, which consists of many pages of confusing lists and pictures. We waited some time for our drinks and to have our order taken, and the food when it arrived was very ordinary.

For example, my husbands main course of scallops 'Fresh from the Grill' was not grilled at all, but stir fried and with loads of mushrooms and afew tiny scallops (not like the picture at all!). This was willingly replaced but there was no single dish that made up for it. We didn't stay for dessert.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

This is my 7th visit to Phnom Penh, so I've eaten at quite a few restaurants here already. Based on the good reviews on Tripadviser, my wife picked this one and we were delightfully rewarded. On this Sunday night, the alfresco part was almost full, so we took the air conditioned area. The glasses of Chardonnay and Shiraz were good, and so was the appetizer of scallops tastefully cooked with mushrooms and local greens, served on clamp shells. We ordered the fish amok, pork ribs in tamarind sauce, seared duck in lemongrass, lightly pan fried baby Kailan vegetables and steamed rice. For dessert, we had the local taro cooked in coconut sauce. The ambience was great and the food was succulent; all that for US$51 net was a great deal for a delightful evening dining out. I would come again in future.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

As much as we appreciated the food on the Ama Lotus, we decided to risk a tuk-tuk from the ship to the restaurant. The food was beautifully presented, it was not over-spiced, the wine selection sufficient, the service excellent.
The cost was moderate given the quality and variety of the menu.
It was one of three great meals we had in Vietnam and Cambodia.