“Oily, salty, and unsavoury”

Irina Russian Restaurant
Ranked #178 of 1,428 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: Russian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Nara, Japan
“Oily, salty, and unsavoury”
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

The Russian cusisine called "Irina Special" is a plate of gratin. But the special dish is far from satisfactory. It is very oily and salty, but savory taste is too thin and bland. I got tired of the dish with some bite. Usually i do not make leftover in the restaurant, but i left over half of the special menu.
In addition, the special menu ($9.5) is expensive for Phnom Penh ordinary restaurant price. No customer entered expect my friend and me even we were having dinner on Sunday night.
The expensive price and tiresome dish made me angry. I never go there again.

Hobart, Australia
“Should have stuck with vodka and chain smoking”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Im just back from eating a 5 dollar 40 toasted sandwich. It wasn't as good as it sounds. Irina is not going to be a place I revisit. (Well, to be fair I think the food might repeat on me a bit, but I'll certainly never willingly go back there in person.)

It was the sort of meal where you leave the table having only eaten half your food and feeling hungry, yet also feeling slightly queezy for persevering as long as you did.

I did ask for salad (or anything!) to give my "food" taste, but after I inquired where it had ended up 15 minutes after it had been ordered and was met by looks of bewilderment, I opted not to throw good money after bad.

We were the only 8 people in the restaurant, so they must have been slammed. It happens.

Some people claimed their food was "not that bad" and "fine" but I think they were mostly being British about it as my friend gave them a proper bollocking for having forgotten her order. Poor thing used to work in the service industry and did well to keep cool as long as she did, I'd say.

In all fairness to Irina, I put the whole experience down to the diet Gods smiting me for skipping out on the gym to eat cheese.

• Visited September 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Still the most satisfying restaurant in Phnom Penh”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Just following up what I wrote two years ago. This visit I went nine times in nine nights and it was always superb.

• Visited August 2013
Hawker, Australia
“Great Goulash”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Russian restaurant! Main course: Salmon (for me) was quite nice but can't say it was exceptionally well. Goulash (for my friend) was very well presented, juicy, and tasted perfect. No complains from my picky friend.

• Visited July 2013
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“From Russia with Love”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Irina is a great host in an exemplary setting. Irina's new vast housing allows for privacy and decorum. Stroganoff is like Stroganoff should be and Vodka available in industrial quantities upon request, what else do we need?!

• Visited July 2013