“Can't fault it”

Romdeng
Ranked #16 of 1,481 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Open Monday to Sunday from 11am to 11pm (kitchen closes 10pm) Romdeng is set in a beautiful colonial building whose wooden carvings, tables, chairs and unique lights were all hand made in Cambodia. The silk goods and cushions adorning Romdeng were made by our students in sewing training at Mith Samlanh and its walls are hung with beautiful paintings produced by young people from the art classes there. All of this plus a pool, free WIFI, a family area and a gift shop mean a visit to Romdeng is a must.
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We had 3 dishes here- a noodle sad, a stirfry veg and the Romdeng fish. The stir fry for me was hideous but my wife liked it. Not sure why but we think that I don't like the local basil flavour. Aside from that everything else was pretty much perfect. Well, the house wine was pretty average but if you pay peanuts.... Fish was an out of body experience of flavours and noodle salad tickled every taste bud imaginable. Kaleidoscope of flavours that was impeccable. The guava, honey icy drink was delicious too. Am overlooking the wine and stir fry veg dishes to still rate this 5 stars because the other 2 dishes were so incredibly tasty, the quality of the best restaurants in the biggest culinary capitals at a tenth the cost.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Went to Romdeng as we had read about it and it sounded a great cause. Indeed the cause is great, but we felt the service was rather poor, not just by the trainees but even by the trainers which really doesn't bode well. The food was well presented and tasted good. Bit more expensive than similar places. Do something about the service and Romdeng could be better.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

For my last review I was impressed and gave Romdeng five stars. Since then I became a regular there, going there about once a week. The food is varied and top notch taste-wise but the service is a little behind.

The last time I was there, I was left waiting over five minutes after I had decided what my order would be. At that time (about 11.30am) there were more staff there than customers so it was disappointing. At one point during this wait, there was one member of staff pouring water about 15 metres from me, and seven other idle staff around him, but none looked my way.

There have been a couple of other times when I've had to ask twice for my bill too.

I'll probably give Romdeng a try again, and I hope the service can match its tasty food on future visits.

Friends-Intl, Public Relations Manager at Romdeng, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Traveller J,
Thanks a lot for your review.
We assure you that we are working on improving our service, following high international standards.
We hope we will see you coming back at Romdeng!
All the best,
The Romdeng team

Reviewed August 17, 2013

This restaurant (and the companion restaurant Friends) is well-deserving of the previous TripAdvisor reviews. We tried the fare at both restaurants since they offer different menus. The food and service are both excellent and the meals reasonably priced. These would be sufficient reasons alone for eating there; the fact that the restaurants offer training and support for street youth adds an additional “feel good” factor to having eaten there. The ambience at Romdeng has the edge over Friends and according to my wife has possibly the cleanest toilets in Phnom Penh(!) Just as we were finishing our meal we were subjected to a very heavy thunderstorm that resulted in extensive flooding – although not an uncommon experience in Phnom Penh at this time of year. Even though we had finished our meal Romdeng allowed us to sit out the storm until we were able to go on our way. We were so impressed with the food that we bought a recipe book from the shop attached, so will try our hands at recreating these dishes at home.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We read about this restaurant in the Lonely Planet and decided to give it a go. The food at first appeared to be a bit pricey compared to other restaurants in the area. BUT, the staff (teachers and students) were amazingly attentive, the building was lovely and the atmosphere was great. We shared a 'snack' of deep fried Tarantulas...they were very yummy!!! I would have them again! My second course was a beef peanut curry which was extremely tasty and I will try and cook it at home. They sell a cook book but we didn't take enough money out with us that evening, hopefully we can buy it off the internet when we get home...The restaurant is supporting street children to learn a profession so all in all the business and food was fantastic!!