5 of 5 bubbles Review of Romdeng

Romdeng
Ranked #15 of 1,403 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: Asian, Cambodian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Open Monday to Sunday from 11am to 11pm (kitchen closes 10pm) Romdeng is set in a beautiful colonial building whose wooden carvings, tables, chairs and unique lights were all hand made in Cambodia. The silk goods and cushions adorning Romdeng were made by our students in sewing training at Mith Samlanh and its walls are hung with beautiful paintings produced by young people from the art classes there. All of this plus a pool, free WIFI, a family area and a gift shop mean a visit to Romdeng is a must.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Romdeng is a fantastic all round experience. The concept behind the restaurant, whilst by no means unique, is very encouraging to see, especially in a place like Phnom Penh where it is so badly needed.

The restaurant was one of the only fully occupied places in the area so it is clearly getting the attention it deserves. We didn't book and were very lucky to arrive a little earlier than everyone else and get a great table outside. This was a Saturday night, but I would still recommend booking though if possible.

We also experienced the tarantula, although after holding one, I couldn't bring myself to eat it after it looked at me with it's big round 'please don't eat me' eyes...

The shop upstairs is well worth a visit, and primarily consists of handmade products from scrap items (broaches made from spoons, bracelets from trash paper etc.). Very unique and very well crafted.

Food was excellent (with Khmer options available)
Service was unique and excellent - the kids act like they are straight out of Goodfellas, and whilst are obviously not classically trained, are very good at their jobs.
Atmosphere was top - the building is classic french architecture and has one of the nicest bathrooms in all of Cambodia ;)

Large meal for 2 plus cocktails and a beer was around US$30. Expensive for Cambodia, but still very cheap compared to any other country. We got the distinct impression though that a sizaeable chunk of the bill goes straight to the kids, so we didn't mind paying a little extra for it.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
“Good and Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

The food was very good overall. I especially recommend the fish and pumpkin coconut green curry. The adult menu portions are very generous while the kids menu portions are for very small kids, so if your kid has a decent appetite, you may want to find something on the adult menu. At $34 for a couple with two kids, the value is good not great. It is a beautiful venue for an admirable cause, and the price is similar to popular foreign run establishments in the city.

The highlight of the meal for me was getting to hold a live tarantula! It was scary at first but I ended up holding it for about 5 minutes. What a memorable experience.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Great food, service and cause but our experience was really made from the staff bringing around tarantulas. They allowed us to hold them if we wished and were also on the menu!

Vancouver, Canada
“great local meal with excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

we had read that we could have red tree ants with beef, a local delicacy at romdeng so we went to check it out. The service was excellent as it is a training restaurant for local street youth and they are all trying really hard to do things right. the food was delicious and with a bottle of wine the price was very reasonable. I would recommend this restaurant even if it wasn't for the positive impact the place has on local youth. The ant dish was actually really tasty.

• Visited June 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Great concept, mediocre Khmer food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I had only heard great things about Romdeng and so I went last week. I tried the tarantulas which were actually quite tasty! My main meal was not the best "western khmer food" that I have had here. Also prices were quite higher for portion size and quality than I have had at other similar restaurants. Probably because it is a training institution, which I am happy to support.

The staff were incredible, I love the concept of the restaurant, and the atmosphere is quite wonderful.

I would recommend to go for the entire experience, but not because the food is the best you'll find.