“2 star Hotel”

NagaWorld Hotel & Entertainment Complex
Ranked #98 of 276 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We checked into the hotel that we had reserved on line.
Check in took quite a bit of time and through a maze of hallways and extra steps we got to a room that had no power. Having to travel back to the front desk to get a room with power took some time. An elevator up to a point then through the service (crowded) halls and up a the stairs then down the hall to our room. The windows were blocked with a mesh as they were doing construction. No internet available, the room was less than average from what we was said of the hotel. The safe did not work and we felt very unsafe as many working girls were always roaming the halls coming in and out of rooms all hours.
It was more of a service hotel for the hookers and at $155.00 per night was way too costly for a 2 star hotel type.
The food o the other hand was great with much variety and the casino was very nice too.
It is a great place to visit and eat, but not to spend the night in.

Room Tip: If your desire is for unsafe sex, this is the hotel for you
4  Thank Stephen T

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I was there in the month of August and well, I didnt know there was even a casino in cambodia. It was an eye opener of a trip.

The pick up at the airport wasnt really that smooth, we didnt notice the representative of nagaworld as he wasnt carrying a placard or anything noticeable as a representative of naga world. Thereafter, we were ferried to nagaworld in a van. Our baggage was promptly taken out of our van and delivered to our rooms after we had our rooms alloted to us, at the reception.
There wasnt much warmth in the service of the reception, it was generally a professional culture where things just get done. The reception generally wont ask how they might be of service of you but you just have to approach them, and they will assist in your enquiries or direct you to the approriate counter. I have never seen staff harassing customers for tips or wanting tips, which may had been indicated in a previous review.

The rooms were fine. Clean, comfortable and spacious. Mattress was good and springy. I went in a group of five so there were three rooms alloted to us. Surprisingly, they dont allot side by side rooms but rooms are given one room apart. One of the rooms, alloted to us, had an issue with the toilet as the water wasnt able to flush down so the toilet of the room became some sort of a mini reservoir. I had an issue with the safe in my room. We had to key in a 6 digit pin but the numeric button 6 when pressed, sometimes gave a 3 and other times a 6. The reception sent someone up within 10 mins as promised but he was unable to rectify the issue.

You can take the motorcycles or the cyclos (motorcycles with the carriage. lol) to the riverside where the cafes and massage parlours are located. The cafes pricings for food and drinks, are just slightly cheaper than singapore, unless you patronise an eatery which caters to the locals, off the main riverfront street. The massage parlours are definately cheaper as compatred to singapore prices.

I didnt try the breakfast that came with the room so I will not comment on it.

There was some entertainment in the evening at the hotel lobby, I am guessing held in conjuction with the casino.

Room Tip: Dont go now as the rooms are undergoing renovation if you are going to stay in the rooms during the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank DICKYLEE_SG
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Reception staff will not pay much attention to you unless you are regular customers or big shots.
OR you love giving tips then you will get all the attentions.
Room standard still remains good.
Renovation still ongoing. (starts at 7am!!!!!)
Get the lower floor rooms (6th to 8th floor) so less noise from the renovation.
Increase the shops but block the way to the elevators. Need to walk a small detour. (Weird layout of the shop).
Get the rooms facing the temple. Although it is not scenic as compare facing to the Mekong River, you can get faster elevator services and less people in the elevator with you.
Hotel staff going to office on 5th floor still continue to squeeze in the elevator with you.
Hotel staff still DO NOT bother to help you to hold on the elevator.

In conclusion, the expectations are high because of the hotel rate but surely with almost full-house everyday, they will not pay much attention to the service quality.
Compare to other smaller hotels, you will get much better comfort and safety (for your belongings) here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Joe C
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Well, I stayed at Inter-continental before I moved to Naga (as my client paid for my stay in Naga).

First off, when I checked in, the reception staff & bell boys are just "doing their job", really no smile and not even sincere. Seems that I get the impression they just want me to get out of there. Then there was the smoky loud lobby full of Chinese tourist.
Secondly, as an international traveler, I am used to different cultures, but the guests at Naga are mostly Chinese (mainland) [I am Chinese from Hong Kong] man who are there to gamble and looking for hookers. I. personally, feel that they have respect for anyone else. For example, they always stare at my wife from top to bottom regardless I tried to block their line of sight, which I feel is absolute harassment.
Thirdly, I stayed on the 11th floor, which I thought should be quiet. Then at 7AM, the floor upstairs start to make construction noises which woke me up from my sleep. Yes, construction at 7AM!
Forth, the room itself and the furniture are filled with cigarette burns. The mattress is a cheap spring loaded mattress and makes the squicky sound when I sit on it, not mentioning the fact that I can feel the spring underneath.
Fifth, if the breakfast is not as nice as Intercontinental. The vegetable and the fruit station is really weak. The orange juice is not freshly squeezed. Again, you have to compete against raging hordes of Chinese tourist.

Honestly, I don't think the hotel does not worth its stars. I have a better stay in any hotels in Guangdong than Naga. Absolutely not recommended if you go with family/wife/children. BTW, they don't have gym or pool or any leisure facilities as you would expect in a four star hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure that you cannot hear the construction sounds.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank zetic
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Summary: NagaWorld is basically a Casino with Rooms and Restaurants all aimed to keep you from leaving the facility and spending money elsewhere. Its focus is on catering to rich Asian gamblers, not on being a so-called four star business-class facility. Its guest rooms lack a bathtub, have heavily stained, dingy carpets with visual cigarette burns and left-over dank smoke smell, which will eventually penetrate your clothing and luggage. Its floor staff, while polite, are not trained to go the extra mile to address problems and concerns and always defer to their manager for escalations, who appears to be trained to deflect all complaints and show no compassion for even the most valid of concerns. Their restaurants are the sole highlight, taking my ranking up one notch from terrible to poor.

Details: I stayed there for four days during a Business Conference, but had problems from the very start. The rooms they set aside for the conference were primarily low-floor and to the rear of the facility, where you have a view out your window of what appears to be a utility building, which houses a 24x7 Electric Generator run on some sort of liquid fuel. This creates a constant droning noise in the rooms. After I complained about the noise, they moved me to a different room. Unfortunately, lower floor, same view, same noise, and to boot, a smoking room when I explicitly requested a non-smoking room. After deciding to move back to previous room for the night, when they claimed they had "no other rooms available", I was starting to unpack when they rang my doorbell with a key to a third room.

I accepted the third room, even though it was a smoking room as it was located towards the front of the facility, meaning no generator drone, and had a side view of the canal in front of the hotel. In the room was a notice stating that they were in the process of upgrading the rooms in the Hotel, so you might hear construction noise starting at 9AM. Well "might" was a substantial understatement, and the 9AM projection was completely wrong, as apparently the construction workers are on different time zone.

Some time around 7AM, I start hearing loud dragging and banging noises rattling the floor from about three rooms over, as the construction workers started bringing the supplies into the room being worked on for the day. By 8AM, the drilling and jack-hammering started as they work on the bathroom facilities. I call down to the front desk and complain about the construction noise beginning too early. They apologize and promise to look into it. Like a fool, I believe them.

Next day: same thing, only one room closer. Same call, same result, only this time, they offer to move me to another room towards the back of the hotel, which is the last thing I want, as the first two rooms were from that section. I asked them to find another way to compensate for their not honoring their noise restrictions. They said that they would look into it.

Third day: same thing, room across the hall. This time, go down to lobby and complain at front desk. The offer to move me to another room. No! Not what I want! Ask again for some other form of compensation. Said they would look into it.

Final day: same thing, room right next door. This time vibration so bad it causes one of the overhead Compact Florescent lights to blink on and off and then eventually fail. As I was using the shower at the time, I was sure that they would be breaking through the walls at any moment as they were visibly shaking accompanied with deafening noise from the equipment they were using. At check-out time, I asked for some compensation for the four days of early-morning construction noise. They said they could do nothing for me. I asked them to remove a $15 room service bill on principal, so they escalated to the Manager, who flatly refused stating that the discounted rate the conference provided was sufficient compensation!

Specifics:

Rooms: Outdated design. Old dingy toilet. Cigarette-stained Sinks and Carpets. No tub. Shower Pan slanted away from drain resulting in standing water at end of shower. One-star beds that were practically box springs. Bedding and Linens were clean, at least. Construction noise at 7AM really ruined the otherwise quiet surroundings

Food Options: Quality of Restaurants were overall quite good. Apart from the Chinese restaurant, which as I mentioned above, caters to Rich Asian Gamblers, the prices were quite reasonable by global business standards and the food I consumed at the various places was of high quality and met or exceeded my Foodie standards. I particularly liked the Cambodian, Thai, Vietnamese Fusion place, where the food was quite reasonably priced and very authentic, although they had the sauces mixed up on a couple of occasions. Frankly, If it weren't for the quality of the dining, I would have rated this facility "Terrible"!

Bottom line: If you like gambling and good dining, you will like this place, but I would recommend you choose to stay overnight elsewhere.

2  Thank uursw
Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

This was my buisness trip . Overall , good hotel with various places to eat within the complex. Location is not within walking distance of shops or places of interest. My room was spacious , clean & well serviced. Noted two points 1) Casino guests come & go throughout the night slamming doors, talking loudly. 2) Shower floor very slippery- no rubber mat 3) Breakfast is excellent, good selection of western& Asian foods.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed September 3, 2012

In short, my stay was quite comfortable in Nagaworld. Yes, its basically a casino with rooms as per many but the moment you cross level 2 its gone. Rooms are as quite as they should be. At times you hear distant drilling sound coz of expansion work but during day. I was there to attend a conference. Food was excellent and mostly halal so that was the plus point for me. Room service was really helpful. Cleaning wasn't an issue at all. But I heard an other colleague saw couple of cockroaches roaming around (lone case). Over all I'm quite happy with the hotel I'm not a gambling or 18+ stuff guy therefore never left the room after midnight. Heard alot of stories of being approached by many girls in the lobby. Yeah, do remember to spend sometime waiting for the lift to arrive.. they are slow..

2  Thank aftabsiddiqui