“Amazing tapas!”

Friends the Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 1,414 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: European, Asian, Soups, Cambodian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Located near the National Museum, you'll discover Friends the Restaurant a vibrant and colorful vocational training restaurant. Serving up share plates of creative cuisine with influences from across the globe, refreshing cocktails and fresh juices, you can see why Friends is one of Cambodia's longest running and best-loved restaurants. All profits are reinvested into the education of students in training and Mith Samlanh's social programs. Check out Friends 'n' Stuff for products that changes lives and Friends Nail Bar next door!
“Amazing tapas!”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Without doubt one of the best socially sustainable restaurant initiatives running on Earth! Friends is run by Tree Alliance, an organisation that employs street children and marginalized people, giving them the opportunity to learn kitchen and customer service skills and empower them to change their own future. Oh and did I mention the food here is AMAZING for grazing? Gorgeous tapas style dishes offer a mix of both Western and Asian foods in this eclectic menu. Must try tapas are the crispy zucchini and cheddar fritters and the shrimp wontons with sweet chilli and lime dip!

Visited November 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Oslo, Norway
“Good food, great service, great concept”
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

We stumbled upon this restaurant walking around in Phnom Penh and as I remembered it was rated #1 on tripadvisor we had to try it! We were not disappointed. The service was good, the staff was friendly and spoke English well. We tried three tapas dishes which were all very good.

London, United Kingdom
“Average (at best)”
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

I was really looking forward to coming to this restaurant after reading the reviews and good work they do in the community. We ordered cocktails first, which is where the first problem was. They had run out of the Red Hibiscus margarita I wanted, but that was fine, it was on their July menu (not their main menu) and I happily ordered a chilli and pineapple one. It was very tasty. We ordered four dishes from the tapas menu: the red ants and beef dish, the pepper squid, the honey meatballs and the zucchini and cheddar fritters. The food was ok. I found the red ants beef and the fritters to be tasty. My boyfriend liked the meatballs. The squid was ok. Then we came to order dessert. The first one I wanted they had run out of, so I picked another. Again, they had none left. I thought this was unacceptable. They were both on their standard menu, not specials, and it was 8.50pm, nowhere near the end of the night. The staff didn't seem very apologetic either. So four tapas dishes and two cocktails came to thirty dollars, which I wouldn't have minded if the food was outstanding, but it just wasn't. The fact that it's a good cause makes me give it an average rating, but I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone else.

Adelaide, Australia
“Friends restaurant ”
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

We visited this restaurant after the glowing reviews on T/A. We arrived around 6 pm and only just got a table. While we were there a constant flow of people arrived and those without a booking left disappointed. Only the two of us and being a Tapas bar (smaller meals) we ordered 3 main meals. Well it was a real effort to eat the three meals as they weren't small at all. Food was very good and service was excellent. Prices from our experience to date in Cambodia were pricey. Great restaurant , great cause - well done

“Best food I had in Cambodia”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I really enjoyed every dish that we ordered to share between the two of us. The shrimp avocado salad (can't remember the exact name) was a really good starter. The Cajun Blackened Tonle Sap Fish Filet was fresh, and the White Wine Butter and Succotash Vegetables complemented the fish well. Lastly, we decided to try the Stir Fried Red Tree Ants for the first time since our tour guide said it was a local delicacy. My friend doesn't eat beef, so they substituted it with pork for us. The dish was kind of fun and scary to try, especially for the bigger sized ants, but I trusted their quality of food. Wish they had the tarantula dish that's sold at romdeng!

• Visited July 2014