“Great food for a worthy cause”

Friends the Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 1,486 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Description: Located near the National Museum, you'll discover Friends the Restaurant a vibrant and colorful vocational training restaurant. Serving up share plates of creative cuisine with influences from across the globe, refreshing cocktails and fresh juices, you can see why Friends is one of Cambodia's longest running and best-loved restaurants. All profits are reinvested into the education of students in training and Mith Samlanh's social programs. Check out Friends 'n' Stuff for products that changes lives and Friends Nail Bar next door!
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Great idea to help local people learn a trade and use this skill in the restaurant. Our tour group (G Adventure) was around 14 people, didn't have to wait longer to be seated, and shortly after arriving our drinks and main meals were delivered to us. My goodness the food was Devine.

Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Excellent service and food. Had to queue up outside for about 15 minutes but it was worth the wait. Great to see then supporting the local community.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Maybe this is one of the best places in Phnom Penh, but in any other city it wouldn't make the top 200. From an international perspective, Friends would be struggle hard to be considered merely average.

I went with high expectations (maybe that was the problem) and ended up being quite disappointed.

Service:
The service was not good. After being seated there was a long wait for any attention from the staff, of whom there were many.The service throughout the meal was reluctant and sporadic.
Our appetizer arrived first, followed 2 minutes later by one the main dishes. The other main dish arrived about 15 minutes after that.

Food:
The food was decent, but quite heavy on grease and mayonnaise based sauces. It reminded me a bit of fast food. It seems the idea is to serve a different menu than what is normally found in PP. That's great, but doing that by serving a menu that harkens back to a 1980s restaurant isn't a help.

Cleanliness:
Our wooden table was sticky with old grease or old spilled food. Even a second perfunctory cleaning, when I asked, by the waiter did nothing to help it. This was the biggest turn off for me about the restaurant.

There are numerous good-cause restaurants going in PP and in the rest of Cambodia, and I was able to try a number of them on my trip. Friends, unfortunately, was the worst of them.

2  Thank AmeriLima
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We came here with our tour group since this restaurants gives back to the community and helps local street kids and teaches them to cook.

Our group was around 14 people and we did have reservations so they knew we were coming. We all ordered drinks, mains and even desserts. I know were in Asia and their on a different time schedule but this was by far the worst serve I've had.

Half our group got their food and there was no complaints but it wasn't anything amazing either. We waited for roughly over an hour and still no food and the half of our group already finished eating and others just their food when still 4 of us had nothing. After complaining they we still waited and told our group to just leave without us and we would catch up later.
roughly 2 or more hours we got our food and it was bone cold. I got fish and chips and it was gross, my friend got a pasta that she said just tasted like onions and I forget what my husband got. I did eat my meal anyways I was so hungry, I would have eaten anything. After eating our meals we still had to wait another half another for our desserts which I didn't even want by then. They were also nothing special.

I'm not sure what went wrong that night in the kitchen when we were there but I don't think I would ever go back.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Ate here recently while staying in Phnom Penh...luckily we booked a table because it was very busy the night we were there.The menu is a fabulous mixture of tapas and western cuisine..we all ordered different dishes and they were all delicious .Service is great and the staff are all fantastic..it's great to see places like this that are actively helping disadvantaged kids to have a future.Highly recommended.!