“Simply Awesome”

Friends the Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 1,481 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Description: Located near the National Museum, you'll discover Friends the Restaurant a vibrant and colorful vocational training restaurant. Serving up share plates of creative cuisine with influences from across the globe, refreshing cocktails and fresh juices, you can see why Friends is one of Cambodia's longest running and best-loved restaurants. All profits are reinvested into the education of students in training and Mith Samlanh's social programs. Check out Friends 'n' Stuff for products that changes lives and Friends Nail Bar next door!
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Went here for dinner one night and it was delicious. The restaurant was absolutely packed and the wait staff was extremely good. Beyond the fact that these guys are doing great things for the community, you should go here because the food was delicious. Not only was the main course/curry dish I ordered great, but the two desserts my friend and I tried were ridiculous! Seriously, get a dessert. We saw at least a dozen fly past us throughout the meal and that was enough to convince us to try some.

The ambiance is pretty cool, nothing fancy but just sort of playful/relaxed. And though it is expensive for Cambodia, you can get away with spending around $5. AND IT'S FOR A GOOD CAUSE.

Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Food here was done very simply but to a good standard. Actual Khmer food and not just a western version.
The waiters got a bit confused with our orders but it is a training restaurant with a good cause so people who complain about that are just being ignorant.
Price - cheap for the quality of the dishes.
Beautiful teachers and trainees.

The only con would be that due to the small seating areas and its high popularity the noise can be a bit much.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Following a trip to the Killing Fields, my fellow backpacker and I were in search of a tasty snack to help lift our spirits after a particularly harrowing day. And only one thing was going to satisfy... BBQ tarantula. Friends seems to be the only restaurant left in the city that serves them, guaranteeing to get that 'eat a strange delicacy in a foreign land' item firmly ticked off the bucket list. We had heard about the amazing work that Friends does giving training and job opportunities to street youths and were keen to visit anyhow.

The restaurant has a wonderful tranquil ambience with beautiful décor. The wait staff were so welcoming and nothing but helpful and courteous throughout our dining experience. And it was most certainly an experience! On my friends request, they bought out a live tarantula for us to hold while we awaiting for the poor blighter's brothers and sisters to arrive on our plates. Thank goodness I had alcohol to help fight the fear. As a former cocktail bar tender, I can say with confidence that their spirited concoctions were seriously tasty!

But what about the spiders, I hear you ask? Darn good! Samplers in other countries told me that when the bit into the tarantula's body, they were met with a burst of liquid. Not here, because they are BBQed. It seems that if you're wanting to try tarantula in Asia, this is the only place to do it! i only wish i had had another night in Phnom Penh to return to Friends and try another of the menu's (more conventional) delights!

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I had a negative experience of the waiter not writing down my entire order (left out one of the two dishes I asked for), despite clearly pointing out what I wanted on the menu in case he didnt understand me. So after watching many others come and be served I eventually reordered and when the dish came out I really did not like it and only ate a bit because I'd waited an hour for it. The first dish was fairly good though.

Also upon entering the bathroom I watched a trainee waiter walk out, then walk back in and hesitate before reluctantly washing his hands. Not sure if this is just because I saw him. Did not inspire confidence in the hygiene of the place!

I would probably try them again should I return to Phnom Penh as the menu is interesting, and the cause is good, but I would hope for better trainees!

1  Thank JacMBrisbane
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited 'Friends' for dinner and were so impressed we went back again the next night! Excellent selection of dishes, yummy drinks and a philosophy you are proud to support. The smoky eggplant dip is yummo!