“Attractive hotel”

Ranked #51 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
portugal
“Attractive hotel”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

An attractive, clean and modern hotel with well appointed good sized rooms if you have the deluxe as we did. Television, hairdryer, kettle, fridge and good WiFi all provided. We found the reception staff to be helpful. The buffet breakfast is very good and the hotel has a decent dinner menu with Asian and Western dishes and also a large, if somewhat expensive, Chinese menu which attracts many outsiders in to dine. They also come in for the extensive a la carte Chinese breakfast. These extra visitors make the dining area very crowded and noisy. I was also disappointed by the hard beds; the poor lighting in the rooms so that you could only read in bed if you removed the shade from the bedside light; the restaurant which is actually tables placed all over reception which gives a very noisy dining room and no place to sit quietly if waiting for someone; and the location is poor. It is a good 15 minute walk to the Royal Palace and then a good further 10 minutes to Riverside or a $2/3 tuk tuk ride. However, it represents reasonable value in Phnom Penh. It is perhaps more for business people than tourists.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nickyportugal
Leakhena P, Director of Sales at Almond Hotel Phnom Penh, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Dear Nicky Portugal,

Warmest Greeting From Almond Hotel & Restaurant in Phnom Penh!

With regard to you comment, On be half of my management team. I would like to say thank for your spend time to wrote down for us.

Your commend is very helpful to us for update and keep consistent on some points that we have today in our service to be better improve.

Thanks and Best Wishes,
Phal Leakhena
Group Marketing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
United States
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Room was a bit small for western standards. They use old fashioned keys rather than key cards. Bathroom was modern and had good water pressure for shower and toilet. Tile floors were clean. We had no window, no view...Bed was firm, but we slept well after all day outings anyway.

Staff was very friendly. I enjoyed the breakfasts...there was good Asian and western food, fresh every day. I will agree with other reviews that it was the best breakfast buffet. And the coffee was super good! You will not crave Starbucks at all. If you enjoy meeting fellow travelers, this is a great space for conversation...we met Belgians, Americans, and Japanese fellow travelers.

Overall, it was a cozy home base after excursions to the sites: royal palace, tuol sleng, killing fields, quad tours, riverside walk, etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window away from construction next door.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank appleface_sheryl
Leakhena P, Manager at Almond Hotel Phnom Penh, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Dear Appleface Shery,

Warmest Greeting From Almond Hotel & Restaurant in PP!

First of all, I would like to say thanks for you spent time to commted to us. I really appreciated you.

Once again, many thanks. We’re looking forward to welcome you again in Almond Hotel.

Should there be any further information or assistance you may need, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely yours,
Group Market Manager
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 31, 2012

The room was a good size, and well appointed. Free wifi worked well. The breakfasts were the best we had in South East Asia, with a good mix of western and local food, including an egg station.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nigel L
Leakhena P, Manager at Almond Hotel Phnom Penh, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Dear. Mr Nigel L,

Warmest Greeting from Almond Hotel in PP!

With regard to your commend on tripadvisor, I really appreciated. We hope that we will have a chance to serve you again in almond hotel. We are looking forward to welcome you.

Thanks & best wishes
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 22, 2011

A friend highly recommended this hotel, and she is usually spot-on but I was only slightly disappointed with this property. For the price, the rooms were clean (but as others have mentioned, I would not recommend getting a room without windows.) This was my first time in PP, so I can't quite compare the price and quality.

If you like to sleep in, the neighboring hotel does start very loud construction work at about 8:30 am, which is well-noted on signs in the hotel and certainly isn't the fault of Almond. I wasn't aware that this was a business hotel before reserving, but I'm not sure it's meant for tourists. I had several questions about itineraries/best mode of transportation and the like, and while the front desk helped us book a taxi, they weren't exactly jumping at the chance to help me make it easy for my two days in Phnom Penh.

Welcome beer, wifi, and mostly kind faces around the hotel were much appreciated. There was one male front desk worker who seemed very annoyed with my questions, and incorrectly told me when my laundry would be done and what to do with it. Furthermore, the laundry came back-- unwashed! While they do not do the laundry onsite, I would recommend they utilize another service as there was no offer of compensation for the inconvenience.

A decent stay, I think I was just expecting a bit more after a friend's stellar review.

Room Tip: Don't get the windowless room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Dear mr. Portland Oregon,

On behalf of almond hotels group management, I would like to say thanks for your time to recommend to us. We are sorry to make you inconvienece during your stayed in almond hotel. The construction of the neighbor will be finish the end of this month.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in almond hotel to make you trip much better during you stay with us.

Thanks & best wishes
Ms. Phal leakhena
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 3, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in the Almond Hotel during my travels to SE Asia in Nov 2011. For a three star hotel, I thought it is a solid choice. The room was was by no means fancy, but definitely clean and comfortable, the wifi connection was good, and the breakfast was excellent (with really good Chinese congee and great baguette). The hotel may not be totally in the middle of town, but it is a very short tuk-tuk ride to most places of interest (cost the four of us $3 one night on a tuk-tuk to go to a restaurant in town).
I would definitely recommend this hotel if one is looking for a 3 star property.

Room Tip: Enjoy the breakfast buffet!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Leakhena P, Manager at Almond Hotel Phnom Penh, responded to this review, December 11, 2011
Dear Sir / Madam,

Warmest Greeting From Almond Hotel & Yi Sang Chinese Restaurant in PP!

I'm really appreciate to your time to wrote the becautiful comment to us. We will try our best to keep the service to the customer.

Whilst thanking you for your patronage at Almond Hotel Phnom Penh, we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming your guests to Almond Hotel.
Should you need any further information or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us any time.

We assuring you our best attention at all time.

Thanks & Best Wishes,
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Was on a business trip on 8 - 12 Nov and highly recommended by friends to stay at Almond which they said suit my budget and needs as a business person. Found the hotel affordable, clean, staff is friendly and most of all, great food selection. The quality of the bed and comfortness of the room is to my expectation and the breakfast is superb - i get to choose between chinese dim sum or the local Cambodian dishes. Fresh croissants and juices to the selection. Wifi was working perfect and I must say that for the attractive room rate I paid online, the service and quality of my stay was beyond my expectation. I had stayed in some intenational 4 star hotels in Phnom Penh but sadly, not as friendly nor comfortable and most of all, one has to pay for internet! So well done Almond Hotel, management and staff! I will definitely spread the word for you. Keep up the good service.

Room Tip: There are rooms without window so if you have phobia, better check but these rooms are still very co...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank GlobewandererSaigon
Leakhena P, Manager at Almond Hotel Phnom Penh, responded to this review, November 24, 2011
Dear Mr. Globewanderer Saigon,

On behalf of our management team, I would like to say thanks you so much for your spent time to wrote the commend to us.

Sure, we will try the best to keep our good consistent on the food and seriver.

We are looking forwad to welcome you again soon.

Best Wishes,
Ms. Phal leakhena
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 8, 2011

this is the best hotel, good sleep, good service, room very clean, the staff very help fulll.
all is good . This is my first experience in almond hotel. I offern come phnom penh so from now i will stay here when i go there next.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends