“Location, location. Don't hesitate.”
Review of Blue Lime

Blue Lime
Ranked #22 of 274 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed August 25, 2010

For the pool and the location alone this hotel proves a winner. I found the staff very friendly and helpful, the room spacious and clean and the breafast more than adequate. The hotel is set in a great location (yes, down an alley. I didnt count the paces but no more than 30 I'd guess. Is that really an issue as some have suggested?) and the pool is not what you'd expect to find when you step out from the lobby. It really is an as oasis just as it has been described by so many others. A welcome reward at the end of long hot day trudging around the streets and sites.

People have complained about the lack of hot water and I must admit I had no hot water myself but it was pretty hot outside at the time so it wasnt a problem and unless you have your ac turned down to recreate Arctic conditions I dont see why it should be an issue... but thats just me. The room was sufferring a bit from the rigours of time and climate but I was in the tropics after all and in the tropics - particularly in a developing country - building maintenance is always an ongoing issue. It probably could have done with a tile re-grout and a lick of paint and there were painters in the staiwell so maybe they were working there way through the hotel, Having said that though it was spotlessly clean and I'm being really picky and probably a bit unfair there with those comments. I have paid alot more for alot less in the past.

I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank mraod
thepavilion, Owner at Blue Lime, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2010

Indeed the original building needs repainting and re-sticking some floor tiles. We have been so busy finishing the new private pool rooms and mini garden rooms that we had left out some of the "non-critical" maintenance.

As mentioned in the review, we are now repainting the rooms one by one. I have noticed that the tiles of some rooms are coming out and need to be fixed. We are working on it too every time a room remains empty.

As for the solar hot water, one needs to wait some time (like one minute, which a long time when you are in a cold shower!). The water needs to come all the way from the roof tanks. As I have had some critics for that, I am considering to go back to an electrical system, but still hesitating. It would be a bit sad in such a sunny country...

Reviewed August 18, 2010

A cute oasis off a busy road.Excellent kooky room where everything is made of concrete , our room had huge balcony with day bed and views of surrounds and royal palace.
Great pool and bar.Breakfast includes eggs, bread fruit, coffee, tea and fresh passion fruit juice.Free internet access downstairs, very friendly and helpful staff who will help booking tours and onward bus journeys around Cambodia .Walking distance to some great restaraunts, Alley Cat Cafe right next door great for good mexican or a drink, and sites such as the museum and royal palace.Always tuk tuk driver outside to take you somewhere for 2-3USD

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank FrankieTeardrop
Reviewed August 11, 2010

A seasoned traveller recommended this hotel to us and it's a gem. Great yet strange location in the city and close to the river - every cab driver knew exactly where it was even if it was hidden on a side street. Easy to navigate to and excellent location. The hotel is fantastic. All the rooms have concrete furniture and they also have rooms with private pools that are amazing and worth the extra price. The staff are absolutely fantastic and they offer free storage as well. The breakfast was amazing and they have a great common area/pool lounge. Highly, highly recommend this hotel for anyone travelling to Phnom Penh - lots of laundry places within walking distance as well.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank JohnDPToronto
thepavilion, Owner at Blue Lime, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2010

Many thanks for such kind words. Hope we deserve them. The cleaners also do the laundry, as I wanted them to be able to make a little extra money.

Reviewed August 5, 2010

Stayed at the Blue Lime for 4N and highly rate this hotel. Set in a side street off the busy streets of Phnom Penh, it is an absolute haven from the hustle and buslte. The rooms are large, quiet and a bit left of field (all concrete), with a pool oasis out the back. Friendly staff, great food and a superd location. It is a 10 minute walk to the main food and entertainment drag and as usual in Cambodia, close to public stransport (Tuk Tuk).
We were lucky to have a top floor room and apart from the climb up the stairs (no lift - not an issue unless you are elderly, injured or possess limited mobility), and had views of the rooftops of Phnom Penh. I would give the following ratings:
Location 5/5
Service 5/5
Rooms 5/5
Food 5/5
Value 5/5
Staff 5/5
The only complaint - and this is getting picky is the water pressure is quite low and a nice fast shower at the end of the day to wash off the PP grime was not forthcoming. But thi sis being really picky.

If you want a quiet hotel in a great location, the Blue Lime must be considered.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank btandrmb
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Despite heeding Tripadvisor reviews and usually agreeing, I have to say the Blue Lime was not on par with its stellar reviews. I stayed in the newest building off of the pool. While my room was well appointed and fairly attractive, I found that the show was greater than the substance. My room did not have a refrigerator as stated on the website, which I was disappointed about, since I would have liked a place to store cold water for hot Phnom Penh days. I found the bed unbelievably uncomfortable--the mattress felt more like the concrete it was placed upon. The shower drain quit working my second day and water flooded all over the bathroom and into the bedroom. The construction work outside made sleeping nearly impossible, and I constantly felt like I was stepping over maintenance workers--not exactly relaxing when returning from a long day of touring.
Overall, I would say that the Blue Lime has a long way to go before it matches its reviews.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Laura_B2093
thepavilion, Owner at Blue Lime, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2010

The fridges for the new building are still blocked at the Sihanoukville customs and we have been promised to get them by August 10 now. I hope our supplier can fulfill as it is indeed a burden.

The opening of the second wing was indeed a nightmare, flooding from bathrooms, terraces and even roof. It took us more then 10 days to solve the various water problems, amongst many other.

Though delivered by the contractor as "completed" the building had a lot of issues and we kept having workers in and out to get things fixed. At one point I even wished we would never had added this extension!

Hope it is acceptable now and that our guest will enjoy it...

Reviewed July 25, 2010

We stayed at the Blue Lime for 2 nights at the end of two and a half week trip around SE Asia. We had booked on the strength of the reviews of this website and whilst we were aware of some short comings, we found this to be a bit more average than we expected it to be.
We were given a room 11 on the top floor which meant a LOT of stairs whenever we needed to get to and from the hotel room. There was no phone in the room so when we couldn't obtain internet access we had to keep walking up and down to reception to get any problems fixed (which were fixed quite quickly) We were at the end of a long trip and had a LOT of luggage this time, there were definitely some vacant rooms on lower levels so would have appreciated obtaining a room on a lower floor but we didn't make too big a deal of this at the time.
The biggest turn off was the shower pressure, it was almost NON-EXISTENT!! After coming off the dusty streets of Phnom Penh, it wasn't too fun to have this little trickle out of the shower, we did mention this to the reception when we were checking out so hopefully it was just a problem with our room but I have seen this mentioned on other reviews so please take note... if you like a semblance of shower pressure, think twice of eating here.
Breakfast eating area was very nice, just by the pool... after having buffet breakfasts for 2 weeks it was a bit of surprised to be served everything... and in pretty small portions (the eggs weren't great but I'm a bit of an egg critic!)
The bed had only a sheet and a thin flannel blanket for each of us but they were not really warm enough as you had to keep the air con on or you would melt, consequently both my friend and I would wake up at numerous times throughout the night as we couldn't get warm enough with the thin blanket and the aircon on. Aircon off and we were boiling... wasn't too fun!
Tuk tuk drivers outside were quite aggressive and quite demeaning to women, we found a tuk tuk driver outside and ended up using him for the entire duration of our trip. When he came to pick us up or wait for us at the hotel the other tuk tuk drivers would jeer at him, poor guy!
All in all the Blue Lime was adequate, the pool area looked divine but unfortunately it was raining when we spent a few hours at the hotel so didn't get to go in. I probably wouldn't stay here again, there were some lovely hotels by the riverside that looked interesting and were close to many more amenities.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends

Room 11 is indeed pretty high. As we are using solar water heaters which are gravity based, the water pressure on the top floor is a bit week. There is not much we can do about it except raising the water tanks even higher over the roof but I am concerned that it might not be safe.

But the top floor allows a really nice view on Phnom Penh, including on the Royal Palace roofs and the National Museum, which one does not get from lower floors.

The continental breakfast at the Blue Lime is unlimited, so portions should not be an issue.

The air conditioning is adjustable to any temperature. If one is too cold, one can raise the temperature to a more comfortable one. Ideal sleeping temperature is 24 or 25 Celsius. As Phnom Penh is located in a tropical area, I did not think of putting blankets used in Norway...

Reviewed July 25, 2010

A friend and I (2 women) stayed at the Blue Lime for almost a month. The hotel was clean and nice - WIFI in rooms, a beautiful, well-kept pool, nice lobby with computers that can be used by guests, and a bar in the back with a small menu. The staff (Sayeh, Toma, Polin, Geraldine and many others I can't remember right now) are THE BEST. They made us feel comfortable right from the start (and we got in really late), arranged all of our travel needs, answered our questions (which were many) and were very enjoyable to talk with. They are truly kind and helpful. The location is good to get around the city from - kind of centered in between all the good locations. Others on this site have noted that it is located in an ally, but I didn't find it to be a problem at all. It isn't a dark, desolate, or even long ally. It's kind of nice actually because it's off the main road and gives you a bit of privacy when walking out of the hotel. The only real issue I had was that there was a lot of construction going on around the area, so sleeping in wasn't always an option. The other issue was that the hotel doesn't keep enough money on hand to change larger bills, which are always needed for moto's and tuk-tuk's. So...come with a bunch of small bills or plan to visit the bank. Laundry service is also not offered on-site, but there is a wonderful woman two doors down from the hotel who will wash, dry, iron and fold your laundry for a really good rate (she has the cutest kids, too!). The hotel staff will even take your laundry to her if you prefer (I took mine to the woman to say hello to her and visit with her kids). For me, the minor issues I mentioned far outweighed the quality of the staff at the hotel and the overall experience. When I return to Phnom Penh, I will definitely stay at the Blue Lime again!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends