“Great stay, friendly staff, all expected services provided”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Me Mates Place

Me Mates Place
“Great stay, friendly staff, all expected services provided”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Turned up at 11pm and they were full, sorted me out a room at another hostel and booked us in the next 4 days.

Sorted my thai visa out with no issue, friendly staff, clean rooms, early check in and nice breakfast.

Highly recoomend a stay here as a base to explore phnom penh.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Indonesian first
Banff, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

I've been meaning to write a review for a long time now but have been very busy so apologies for the very belated review!
I stayed at Me mates place for a few nights at the beginning and end of my first trip to Cambodia in August 2011 and I loved it so much that I came back in October for a full months stay.
Tony looked after me and gave me a great rate and a room on the 3rd floor with a window looking out the back and a view of the river too. I could watch the monkeys playing on the roofs next door whilst eating my dragon fruit for breakfast!
All of the staff were generous and kind and welcomed me in as a sister to them. I was even invited to visit Tony's home village with his brother which was a really amazing Cambodian experience.
The staff organised my transport every day as I was volunteering at the orphanage on the other side of town, they also helped me to check off my list of "weird foods to eat" during my stay.
The room itself was a private room with an ensuite and a queen size bed. I had a TV and a mini bar fridge, generous closet and the WIFI reached my room but was better on the balcony. AC worked FANTASTICALLY as I had to sleep with a blanket each night because I was cold! (this is a great perk in Cambodia!)
All in all I can't say enough about my stay here. I would like to clarify that I was NOT offered any sort of compensation for a review (pointless as it's been over a year since I was there anyways)
People need to realise that for a hostel, and the small amount of money you're paying each night, you can't expect Fairmont 5 star quality. I am amazed at the petty things people complain of. Cambodia is still 3rd world! You're lucky you even have air con and Wifi!

They offered a swimming pool at their other hotel which was a short walk away and quite lovely.

Love your work guys! Big shout out to Tony! Can't wait to come back and visit!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

What a great place to stay with friendly staff like the bar man Tony Montana was a true gentleman and talked to me and my friend while playing pool. Stayed in a private room which was excellent including all facilities.

• Stayed September 2012
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

I've stayed at Me Mates for some nights during August 2012 and I've loved it.
The rooms are nothing special, even if they are all clean, with AC and those on the first and second floor with Wifi.
20 USD for a twin breakfast excluded.

What's spectacular about this guesthouse is definitely the staff: the guys are so welcoming, so kind and so friendly that you will immediately fall in love with Me Mates.
We have had some troubles during our stay and they have helped us in every possible way, so thank you very much guys, you have been precious!

The restaurant is very good, too.
I've never had a "serious" meal, but it has happened to order some sandwiches and they were really extraordinary.
I would say that the prices of the restaurant are a bit high (4USD for a clubsanwich) but believe me, you really get what you pay for.

One more thing: the location is great. Just 1 minute walking distance from the Wat Phnom and 10 minutes from the riverside.

In the end, I've been in Phnom Penh several times now and I'm sure I've never found any better place then Me Mates!
I will for sure get back there next time and I suggest you to do the same.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

We had been out to Sihanoukville on the coast, and I threw out my back (be careful how you swing that pack on to your back). After a five-hour trip back to PP, and a disastrous visit to Seeing Hands Massage (that's another review I need to get to---NOT excellent), I was barely able to walk. By the time we got to Me Mates, things were serious.

They found us a room on the lowest floor available and at 4:30am, when I was wracked with agonizing back spasms, they arranged for a doctor from the nearby SOS clinic to COME TO THE HOTEL. Imagine this happening in the U.S.(we were thinking ambulance, and wondering how they would get me down four flights of stairs) The doctor, and an assistant, administered several injections, finally morphine, waiting each time to see how they were working. After about two hours, they left my husband with several prescriptions and detailed instructions. They charged us $250.

We were holed up in the hotel for three days. We ate just about everything on their menu, including every smoothie. Every single thing was excellent.

The only criticism which, under the circumstances I hate to mention, was the AC. When you spend three days flat on your back in sweltering heat, you really want it to work. We were in two different rooms (they moved us to a lower floor when a room became available) and the AC was working poorly in both (really not at all in the first room). If they can keep those units better maintained, they would get an excellent from me in every category.

Overall, the staff at Me Mates are just heroes. I can't thank them enough.

• Stayed August 2012
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Stayed at Me Mates Place for 8 nights at the end of August.

Staff arranged tuk tuk to collect me from the airports and were very friendly.

Private room was very clean with powerfull aircon and a proper western shower unlike a lot of other places.

My only criticism is that my room didn't have a window but otherwise excellent for the price.
Tony Montana behind the bar makes great cocktails!

Yes they do offer a free beer for a review but they don't need to.

• Stayed August 2012
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

First of all no I didn't get a free drink to write this post!!! My boyfriend and I think this is by far the best hostel we stayed in along our 8 month travel. We stayed here for 13 days. We stayed in a private room not a dorm. The room was clean, with a huge bed, fantastic a/c cable tv and an amazing shower! The room was cleaned daily. All the staff were lovely and had very good English, they helped organize all our bus tickets. Unfortunately I needed to go to hospital while I was staying there, the staff organised a tuk tuk did all the bartering for me and recommended a fantastic hospital. and when I came back all the staff asked for the next week how I was feeling. The food that they sell is awesome and totally reasonable (I recommend the tacho salad). I would recommend this hostel to all my friends!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple