“A good, clean spa with proper massages and service, for tourists and expats alike.”
Review of Amara Spa

Amara Spa
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Let me start by saying that, yes I am a European, but I have been living and working in Thailand and Cambodia for the past 4-5 years. As such, I'm not comparing this spa to what I would expect back home, but I'm comparing it to other spas I have been to both in Bangkok and Phnom Penh.

25 USD for an hour of Swedish massage is not cheap in Asia. And yes, it is a complete steal in Europe. I know other spas in Phnom Penh and Bangkok that are cheaper, but not necessarily as clean.

I do like Swasdee in Phnom Penh as well for a full body massage, but I don't like the rooms, which are dark and not too clean all the time. Their price is 23 USD for 90 minutes I think. They do a good massage, but I do prefer the cleaniness of the rooms at Amara.
I do like U&Me in Phnom Penh for a reflexology and neck massage, but not for full body.

I do like Healthland in Bangkok, who do a 90 minute massage for the same money, but the ladies there are of varying quality - given the size of the Healthland spas they easily have 30-40 masseuses working on any given day and it is hard to get a consistently good massage all the time.

At Amara you will get a different room for a Khmer style massage, which takes place on the ground, than for an aroma / Swedish massage, which take place on a bed. I do like the beds more and then you have your own room. Khmer massages take place in a bigger room where spaces are separated with curtains.
As such, I'd go for the aroma and Swedish massage in a private room.

Yes, for Phnom Penh, 25 USD is a lot of money. But how often do you go to a massage? Really.

Reading the other comments, I have to make some statements towards some of the things said by others:
- I think the management is nice and not in any way as bad as decribed;
- Yes, the floors are dimly lid to get an 'ambient atmosphere'. Look out where you step! And no, it is not dangerous if you're walking carefully and are not drunk;
- How the masseuses look does not matter. It's how they massage! Anyone commenting on the looks of the ladies is perhaps in the wrong place and looking for something else...

Also, the ladies who massaged me were kind and spoke a little English, which helps to explain where to massage a little more and how hard. Quite a number of other spas can be difficult wrt. explaining what you want, given the lack of English language skills...

And no, there is no 'hanky panky' here. If you are looking for that, don't go here, because you will be disappointed with a good massage and no 'special service'. Fortunately!

NOTE: The photo on the top with the grassy lawn is not a photo of the spa!

3  Thank Dennis_Bours

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Just don't understand why the entrance and lobby area of this place need to be dimly lit, especially at night when it get worse.
To make situation worse, you need to negotiate the places very carefully, upon entering this place, as there are many uneven ground with different ground level and steps.
The stairs/steps that lead you upstair for your massage are poorly lit, and that each step of staircase are of same colour, they don't differentiate, and if you are not careful, you will trip and fall. This happened to me. I went for foot massage, and end-up with a sprained ankle, and I am still recovering from it.
So if you don't want to hurt yourself, or die at this place. Avoid this place.
A spa is supposed to be a place for relaxation, and without getting yourself hurt.
Will give up going to this place, unless they improve the safety of this place and make sure guests are not hurt.
There are many other good spas in Phnom Penh.

2  Thank Bizworks
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Just don't waste your money. Don't go there.
Expensive, better quality available nearby.
poor masseurs, they don't know how to do massage, just rubbing the oil on the body is not called massage. Horrible looking females. If you are paying more then at least girls should be decent looking. No body bothers even if you complain to manager STVORN
I have done massages in Cambodia Phnom Penh, Stung Treng and Siem Reap I know what massage means.

1  Thank pankaj b
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I had tried three massage/spa outlets in Phnom Penh over the 5 days I stayed there. The first two charged the same money as Amara Spa but were completely useless.

I finally went to Amara for reflexology and for muscle relaxation massage. This was over two and a half hours with the total cost being only USD 28. The masseuse was very good and very friendly.

Warm welcome on arrival with fresh cool wash cloth and some refreshing tea.

Thourghly enjoyed the time I spent there. The facilities are modern and well kept. Well worth the money. Trained and professional staff.

1  Thank MG22Bangkok
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Nice facilities. Great tea. But generally nothing special and for the standard massage and treatments way over priced. I think the Europeans love it and think its cheap compared to home..

2  Thank VMacca