“Absolutely Lovely”

The Quay Boutique Hotel
Ranked #212 of 274 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed June 30, 2009

This is a lovely boutique hotel and after having travelled to over 25 countries I can honestly say I thought it was one of the best I have stayed at in it's class. Yes it is pricey for Cambodia but worth it. Right on the waterfront surrounded by plenty of restaraunts. The french place next door is a real treat / bargain with several staff waiting on you.

The upgraded rooms are worthwhile and very funky. The rooms are quiet and spacious and you can plug your ipod into the bose sound system. The plunge pool is in a strange location as it is in full view of guests coming up to the terrace bar but it is so lovely you get over it. Happy hour cocktails are fantastically priced and they will even bring them to your room - although why would you want to when you have such a fantastic view over the river at sunset.

The staff are fantastic and can't do enough for you - they even called our taylor with a last minute change. They speak excellent english. The breakfast is delicious. I wouldn't book tours through them though as they are pricey. We enjoyed our stay so much we would almost come back to Phnom Penh just to stay again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 19, 2009

I was staying at the Quay's Sister Hotel in Phnom Penh, the FCC (which I liked) but I kept staring at an inroom ad for the Quay, and it looked so good I decided to switch....and I must say I am very pleased with my hotel changeover, even if I'm paying a bit more.

The Quay is fantastically designed, essentially a perfect design in my opinion for a small hotel. My room faces the back and while it has no window (just sandblasted glass that keeps you from seeing what would be an ugly view), I am surprised to say that the room design is so perfect that I am ok with that (though maybe not on a long stay)....and this is the first time in a thousand plus hotel room visits that I can say I had no window but that room style made up for lack of a view. The room design is great~! Of course, the rooms on the front have a view over the river, and patios, and that can't be beat (although the noise is much louder in the front especially as motorbikes in Cambodia are loud, so if you are a light sleeper, beware). My room didn't have a desk, so if I was on a business trip the room I had would not be workable unless I didn't mind working off of my bed.

The bar and restaurant, which you walk through when you arrive to get to reception and your room is lively and has good food. It's a great place to hang out with a book or your computer. Breakfast is included, and I had a great eggs benedict but almost everything on the menu sounded good.

The roof has a jacuzzi (if it's heated it wasn't when I was there), but better to pretend it's a plunge pool and cool off on the deck. There really aren't lounge areas on the roof (there's a pool bar) but there's enough deck space around the jacuzzi that you could get a bit of suntime in.

The hotel staff is very good. Very friendly. The woman behind the desk always ran to the elevevator to press the button when she saw me walking in.

The Quay is central to good bars and restaurants. It's also close to the Cantina, run by a former set dresser named Hurley who migrated from the United States and opened up a Tex Mex restaurant here that is fantastic.

If might be a bit more expensive than you want to spend, but The Quay is well worth checking out....

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank WorldTravelerAsia
Reviewed May 23, 2009

The location can't be beat. The hotel's riverfront property is located in the heart of the main tourist district, all within walking distance of numerous cafes, restaurants, bars, shops, and spas. Although the price is on the high end for tourist hotels, the Quay Hotel's rooms are spectacularly designed. Every inch is thoughtfully planned including light panels in the smaller budget rooms which lack any true windows, but this actually works really well. Flat panel cable TVs, air con, rain showers, designer bedding, you name it! Each room is fully outfitted with all the amenities including robes, slippers, in-room safe, aircon, hairdryer, minibar, fresh drinking water daily, luxury toiletries, wireless internet, and an over-the-top fabulous welcome fruit platter. In addition, the higher priced rooms come with a large desk, plush sofa/seating area, stereo system, and private balcony overlooking the river...we were impressed. Don't miss out on the rooftop bar where there's more amazing decor in the form of canopied lounge seating and a small hot tub. This is a real hot spot with guests, especially around sunset when the happy hour drinks kick in and the views of the river are spectacular. Oh and let's not forget the cafe and bar downstairs in the lobby. Here we were treated to a gourmet breakfast each morning that was so yummie we decided to come back for lunch AND dinner. The menu is outstanding and the service is supreme. Little did we expect to be eating such lavishly prepared meals on our trip. And for a truly relaxing experience, you can request to have breakfast sent directly to your room for no extra charge. It's great to sleep in! Finally, the hotel's proximity to the Royal Palace and museum are within walking distance...or take a $2 tuk-tuk. Overall we really enjoyed our stay at The Quay Hotel and will definitely be returning soon. This is our top pick hotel for Phnom Penh!

Travel tip: Book the hotel car for transportation to and from the airport in advance. It's clean, safe, and fairly priced. No haggling required.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2009

Watch out for all the 'hidden' costs at this place. The laundry, for example, is unreasonably expensive, as are items from the minibar. Now, avoiding the minibar is something that you would automatically do when in a hotel, but they don't tell you what's part of the minibar and what's not. I ate a tiny packet of peanuts there and was charged $6 for it. They claimed that I had also drank a bottle of 'minibar' water and that cost me $3! It's first-world prices in a third world country and they will use every opportunity to extract every last dollar out of you.

Overall, the hotel is clean and the staff are very friendly and helpful - it's the prices you have to watch out for. So a few tips would be - don't use their laundry service, go out and buy some detergent yourself and some snacks so that you don't have to depend on them. Get a tuktuk from outside the hotel, not from them. They also slap a VAT on you every few days.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank iamapizza
Reviewed April 25, 2009

We got room with no windows. The shower drain was clogged. There was construction and jack hammer kept us awake in the afternoon.
The staff very polite

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2009

Pleasant staff, very trendy looking rooms. However we were quite disappointed having read all the previous rave reviews!
Considering this is a newish hotel, the carpet in the lift and landing areas was badly stained as was the room carpet.
We opted for a room service breakfast and ticked the 'Pastries' option - this turned out to be just one croissant!
The night we stayed, DJ Sylva and her Rhythm sounds were playing in the bar on the ground floor. Due to the design of the place, this meant that we were subjected to very loud music in our room until well after midnight- it was so loud that even with the TV volume turned up high, we still couldn't hear the TV. The biggest problem for us that night was that we had to leave at 6 the next morning so didn't really appreciate not being able to get to sleep. When we phoned down to reception (as we understood that it was supposed to finish at 11.00) they didn't seem very concerned.
Definitely overpriced and over rated! For that money, I expect better service - and we found other much nicer places to stay in Phnom Penh at a fraction of the price!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2009

We had the happy chance of being moved to The Quay as our room at the FCC (their sister hotel) had a leak. What total luck. Beautiful spacious rooms, huge bathrooms with powerful showers, rooftop jacuzzi and great staff. The location is also fantastic - just 8 minute walk to the National Museum and Grand Palace and right on the riverfront. Delicious breakfast and great bar snacks. Basically, you do get what you pay for at The Quay. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family