“One of the best in Asia!”

The Quay Boutique Hotel
Ranked #217 of 278 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed February 7, 2009

A brilliant hotel and our favourite during our time travelling SE Asia. Very modern, with a fantastic roof top bar area over looking the city.

A great shower / bathroom with very modern fixtures and fittings and a flat screen TV.

The only reason I would knock one point off was the noise of the jacuzzi on the roof at night (we stayed on the top floor) and also the ring of the lift on each floor (please disable this!)

I cant believe the previous review knocked the breakfast, I can only assume they are used to an American all you can eat type breakfast (or maybe they just like to stuff their faces!) The breakfast was fantastic and you had a choice of fruit, eggs, toast, fruit juice and coffee all done with a modern twist. The best scrambled eggs I have ever had!

Hats off to the very friendly staff who always had a smile and welcome for you.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DirkBigler

Reviewed January 2, 2009

The Quay is a very cool, modern hotel. We stayed in the panoramic room, which was huge with a fabulous bathroom and free wi-fi. The staff was extremely nice and the service was great. The small hotel helped-- they knew us. Breakfast was good, and we ate it on the rooftop deck.
The hotel is also in walking distance to the main sights and the river. I would definitely recommend this place for Phnom Penh!
As for noise-- we slept with earplugs and it wasn't an issue.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 24, 2008

I also only stayed here one night and wished I could have stayed longer. When I arrived my room wasn't ready so I had to go out for a while. When I came back they were prepared for me.

I had one of the front facing rooms with a balcony. The room was quite large. The place is very designed. Maybe a little to chi chi for me. The bathroom was very pretty.

Free internet was nice. The wood floor was VERY slippery. There are about 100 remote controls which was a little annoying. One for the TV, one for the stereo, one for the a/c, one for the cool ceiling fans, one for the drapes...

The view of the river was awesome. What wasn't so awesome was the early-morning noise of all the honking horns of the traffic on the busy street out front.

Breakfast was OK, but there wasn't much to it.

The location is a little bit hidden even though it is on the main street. I think because it is so new people don't know it yet. It's in a good location for the Grand Palace and all of the restaurants along the river.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed November 8, 2008

Only stayed for a night, but wish I could have stayed much longer. Rooms were very modern, especially the bathrooms, and the food in the hotel restaurant was fantastic. Location, on the banks of the Mekong and Tonle Sap rivers, offered a great view. Also within easy walking distance of the Royal Palace. Only drawbacks were the single elevator and the street noise, which actually wasn't too bad, but we stayed on the top floor.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mattbob
Reviewed October 20, 2008

The Quay is a very trendy and well serviced place to stay in an emerging city. When it comes to service, words cannot do the Quay staff justice.

We stayed in two rooms (one large, one small) during our four days at the Quay, and both were spotlessly clean and kept with utmost care. Freshly steamed pastries awaited us each time we returned to our room. The restaurant in the lobby was absolutely delicious, especially the continental breakfast (I just could not get enough of it). The front desk had several recent DVDs (American) to lend for use in the highly advanced entertainment centers in the guestrooms.

I have seen a few reviews expressing dissatisfaction with the smaller windowless rooms. However, having switched from a larger room (sitting area, balcony, work area, tub) to a windowless one, I have to say that there is hardly any difference between the two rooms. Despite not having a window, the smaller room is still amply lit with all the amenities you could possibly need. Frankly, all the perks that came with the larger room were all perks that we did not need or use.

However, the highlight of our stay was without a doubt the high quality service. Being new to Cambodia, we had numerous questions to ask the front desk and they were always more than happy to answer them. When we asked them to book us a one-night stay in Siem Reap, they immediately checked for availability at various inns and reserved a room on our behalf, even though our inn was not the Quay's sister property in Siem Reap (the FCC). Their car service was both friendly and affordable. The bartenders were genuinely concerned when it seemed as though we were not satisfied with our drinks (which was not the case at all).

The Quay is a bit small (only 16 rooms in total), but the service is EXCEPTIONAL. It was truly such a pleasure to stay at the Quay that it was difficult to leave. I recommend the Quay to everyone who passes through Phnom Penh.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank travelingdg
Reviewed October 20, 2008

In contrast to the previous poster I very much enjoyed a recent 3 night stay at the chic and trendy Quay. Probably for PP $140++ is not a bargain but the best rate I was offered at Raffles was $240++!

I had no problem locating the hotel as they were at the airport to meet me with limousine transfer at only $2 more than the official taxi rate. Every member of staff I encountered were more than just smiley faces, they were genuinely friendly, obliging and helpful – particularly when one of my suitcases had failed to arrive. They efficiently arranged for bus tickets to Siem Reap and the bill was ready and correct when I came to leave.

On arrival room facilities were comprehensively explained and a large platter of fruit delivered. Turndown service (as opposed to room servicing) was provided and a selection of sweet meats left each evening.

River facing rooms were not only chic but they were actually comfortable (which is not always the case) and there was a great desk facility for those that need to work. The bathroom was spacious and the shower water pressure good. I did not care for the toiletries – particularly the thin slice of ‘organic’ soap which simply disintegrates when used in the shower and other than some unsightly mould on the ceiling these were my only gripes. Internet is free (WiFi and LAN) - although you do have to get a username and access password, but reception were happy to deliver this to the room when required.

Breakfast in Chow was excellent – in fact all meals sampled there were very good and the staff were efficient and friendly. Chat to Patrick for restaurant recommendations and wine – he is a mine of information and very enthusiastic.
Besides the FCC (which was so-so), you can charge your bill if eating at the Spanish restaurant Pacharan which I would also recommend.
There is also a roof top terrace bar with plunge pool and Jacuzzi and a generous happy (4) hours!

The hotel is conveniently located for the National Museum and Royal palace and although work along the promenade is still on going I was able to have a good run along the riverside each morning!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank macsym
Reviewed September 18, 2008

Let's kick off with price. The Raffles Royal, arguably the iconic Phnom Penh Hotel, a classic building with classic Asian service, offered me US$110+++; the Quay charged me US$140+++. This hotel positions itself as the best of the best, so that's how to judge it.

The good stuff: the hotel is uber-cool, would be a trendy hotel in Zurich or Buenos Aires. Designer everything, aroma oils in the room, asymmetric room fans, odd-shaped dining plates... you name it, every wannabe fashionista's dream. And the rooms at the front have a nice view, and a huge flat screen TV and DVD for those of you who travel to Phnom Penh to watch movies in your hotel room.

But having booked in for three days I checked out after one night. Why?

First, the hotel's so cool it's impossible to find. My airport taxi drove past it three times before we spotted the tiny-trendy nameplate. Then the front staff, who were very smiley and friendly, were utterly clueless - they couldn't show me on their own city map where their hotel was, had no idea how long it would take me to reach the US Embassy, and were totally stumped when I asked them to suggest a running route for the morning. Then the (equally smiley, friendly) bellboy who showed me to the room, couldn't work out half the gadgets in the room, forgot to explain how to call reception, and just gave up trying to find where some of the light switches were. I gave up, gave him $1, worked it out for myself.

I work in hotel rooms. I do my meetings during the day, do my job in the evening. Having been travelling all day, I had a lot of work to do. Internet cost money and an access code - then didn't work with my email client. The (smiley, friendly) staff member tried a few times to fix it, called his friend, and told me the IT guy would work it out on his day shift the next day. Which left me not getting a day's work done, and, given I was going to be out all the next day, not getting the next day's work done either. End of story, as far as I'm concerned.

I'll pass over the other wrinkles (the gloominess of the room lighting, or lack of it; the wobbly plumbing fixtures; the amenities in the room in chi-chi little bottles with necks too small to allow the goo to run out; the cups in the room that didn't fit their saucers; the cordless room phone that wasn't charged up and hence useless; the deafening room aircon system even on its lowest setting; the mystery of working out that #501 is the number for reception....). The final straw was that, when I checked out, they argued that I should pay 50% of the cost of the two nights I didn't want.

If you want to be the most expensive hotel in town, fine. But you must (i) make sure that everything works (ii) make sure that your people are trained to the Nth degree,,, and only then will people appreciate the design and decor.

At this price in Phnom Penh, this hotel's a joke.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business