“Disappointment at bus charge” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Quay Boutique Hotel

The Quay Boutique Hotel
Ranked #95 of 274 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Melbourne, Australia
“Disappointment at bus charge”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

We recently stayed at The Quay and were happy with the accommodation, staff and services.

But ... We paid around US$13 per person to the cashier for four tickets on the Mekong Express air conditioned luxury bus for a five hour trip from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. When our pickup arrived, we were taken to another bus line and found it was a much poorer quality bus with no air conditioning and many stops, resulting in an uncomfortable trip of around eight hours.

More worryingly, we also found that the tickets on this bus were less than US$6 each, which leads us to question why the staff member charged the higher price and what happened to the remaining money???

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Great location on the riverfront, the rooms are modern, clean and comfortable. The cheaper rooms don't get any natural light, but the hotel discloses this on the website so we knew what to expect.
We stayed during the low season and got reduced rates, so for what we paid I think it was value for money.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Everything about our stay here was lousy. Our first impressions were disappointing: our room had no windows and ineffective air conditioning. However we figured that we would not be in town long, so after a brief complaint to the front desk we got on with seeing the city. The worst was yet to come, however. When we returned to the hotel on the second day after spending several hours touring the city, we made a very disappointing discovery. Someone had removed half the cash ($80) from a wallet I had left in the room, ironically to keep it safe from pickpockets. The thief had clearly gone for the strategy of only taking half our cash and hoping we would not notice. Fortunately he or she was either so greedy, so stupid or both that he or she elected to take a large amount and left the wallet open so it was completely obvious.

I immediately raised this with the shift manager who's initial response was not to investigate, apologise or otherwise react with any concern or sympathy but to question why the wallet had not been in the safety deposit box that day. Thankfully that had been filled with a laptop and passports but the implication was clear to me - anything not in there that subsequently went missing was fair game. Call me old fashioned but I expect my valuables in a locked hotel room to be safe regardless of whether they are in a small safe.

After two hours of general disinterest and inactivity from the staff matched by frequent complaining at the front desk on our part, they told us they had checked the cameras and the only person who had been in the room that day was the cleaner. Amazingly after a quick call to the cleaner, who assured them he had not stolen anything, they decided the matter was closed. I honestly couldn't believe it...

We complained further and eventually managed to speak on the phone to the off duty manager. She was full of hot air and empty promises along the lines of further investigation and an email. That was 3 weeks ago and we are yet to hear anything from her.

In summary if your idea of a good hotel experience is a room that resembles an air tight cave, staff who demonstrably could not care less about helping you and a fast and loose approach to your valuables and security then you will love this place. For everyone else do yourselves a favour and stay somewhere decent.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AP M
Orange, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Sheets had holes in them. Rooms had a musty smell all the time. Air con noisy. Bathroom dark. On a good note all staff were very friendly and helpful. Good location along riverside. Almost forgot fridge wasn't working on arrival so they replaced it but still didn't work.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Michelle B
spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

the loaction is great along the river and close to many restaurants and bars
rooms are very comfortable, but note the standard rooms have no window looking out, they have small windoes that let some light in - but not oo bad anyway
the front rooms have a balcony with views of the river.
the roof terrace is very nice - the 'swimming pool' is tiny, more like a jacuzzi
but nice views of the river also from the top of the building
food is good, breakfast also, nice service

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I got robbed in this hotel, which is something that has never happened to me before, I would avoid this hotel at all costs and never would recommend for anyone to stay there, total disaster.
When I first arrived there I noticed the small room that had no natural daylight and the really old bed sheets and pillows, the type of things you would expect to find in a hostel not in a hotel where you pay £50/ night, which for Cambodian standards is lot. I was comteplating about complaining about the room conditions but in the end was just a bit lazy and decided to not say anything as I was staying there for only 2 days.
But the worst thing that happened was the next day when we got robbed. Someone had removed £50 from my wallet which was lying in the room. It was awful to think that someone had opened my purse and gone through all the money and then taken what they wanted. When we discovered this we were shocked and I told the front desk at the reception but their attitude was beyond awful which made the incident worse. They did not care about the fact someone had stolen from the room and after me complaining, they finally decided to go through the video camera tape (video camera was located outside the door) to see if anyone had gone in. A job that would usually take 5/10min (as you just look through the tape and fast forward to see anyone coming in) took them 2h and we had to constantly check on the progress and they just did not seem interested at all. In the end the hotel staff concluded that it was our fault as we had not put valuables in a safety deposit box, but I don’t know many people that lock all their money there as generally you would expect to be treated with dignity in one of the supposedly best hotels in town. In the end they said only the cleaning lady had gone into our room and she says she had not taken anything, and the staff were unwilling to cooperate and help any further, they just did not care.
This was my last day in Phnom Penh and on my 2 week holiday amd this experience was awful and a sad end to my amazing trip. I would not wish for my worst enemy to stay at this hotel, it is so bad, they take your money and then don’t care about you and charge way too much for which is an awful room.

3 Thank Maija P
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Given that I had one week to relax in a city where I was unfamiliar with everything; the friendliness and professionalism of the hotel staff meant that I was able to spend the whole week enjoying myself without the hassle of trying to figure out where the best spots were. Although the hotel is in the heart of everything, it still has a nice peaceful feel about it for when you're wanting a break from the many pestering Tuk Tuk drivers, heat/humidity and packed out markets. Nothing was ever too much trouble and although I was a solo traveller, the friendly staff make you feel that you're amongst friends whilst trying out their extensive drinks range in the rooftop bar.

The only issue that occurred during my stay was one evening...well 4am...when an over-excited hotel resident was very load and shouting about his night out with some friends for quite some time. This was amplified as the communal areas tend to echo quite a bit and can therefore be a slightly noisy. However, this was easily resolved by calling reception and asking them to have a word with this particular person. As well as this, the lobby music can sometimes be a bit too load given the "echo factor" meaning that I could hear it from my room on the third floor. Although given that the music selection is very mellow, I found this quite bearable. So in summary, the hotel was a top spot where everything is on your doorstep and yet when stepping back inside, all of the Phnom Penh hustle and bustle seems to disappear. :)

Room Tip: Although it's a small hotel, I would probably ask for a room on the top floor given that the com...