“Worst customer service I have ever had”

The Quay Boutique Hotel
Ranked #90 of 265 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Singapore, Singapore
“Worst customer service I have ever had”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

I arrived at The Quay at 8pm to check into my room after a long day travelling across Cambodia. The receptionist let me say goodbye to my driver knowing that I had no room at the hotel. Five minutes later he eventually informed me of this. "The room you were due to stay in has a fault in the bathroom. We cannot fix it today and there are no other rooms". How long had you known there was a fault I asked. Since 2pm today. Why did no one call me or email me to let me know? No answer and no apology.
He then tells me he has arranged a room at a partner hotel. I asked for the details / website of the hotel, none of which he had to hand and spent another 10 minutes calling and scrambling for. Whilst the replacement hotel looked nice. It was less than the price of the room that I had requested at The Quay, over a mile away from where I wanted to be and not as premium. I asked him to look for another hotel. I was presented with 2 choices. One acceptable, one looked like Basil Fawlty would have felt right at home. What then became apparent was that The Quay had absolutely no intention of paying the difference for a more expensive room. I asked to speak to the manager who had disappeared for the evening leaving a sweet but inexperienced boy with poor English in his place. He sheepishly called his manager. Well, I've never had such a displeasure to speak to anyone in my life. He had no intention of making any effort to make my trip more enjoyable nor offer anything in the way of an apology. If that were my hotel manager I would have fired him on the spot!
I eventually settled for the first replacement hotel, more because I wasn't getting anywhere arguing. During the fun and games I had ordered a drink from the receptionist (who had offered me one) but hadn't had a chance to finish it. As I left the building they came running after me asking for money for the drink! Suffice to say I didn't pay.
The whole experience bittered what had been an incredible week long trip around Cambodia. I know Cambodian's can do hospitality because I have had it in abundance everywhere else I have stayed. I would highly recommend La Rose Hotel and Spa instead. This hotel couldn't have done more for me.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

As soon as we walked into the room, we were greeted with the strong aroma of lemongrass. Very refreshing. Good room, excellent bathroom. Breakfast was also very good. Location is great, you can pretty much walk to anywhere in the city, though there are always a plethora of tuk tuks waiting for you outside if you're feeling lazy.

• Stayed February 2013
Zwolle, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

We were in february 2011 in the quay. We made a reservation with a transfer from the airport. Everything worked out. We had a room at the street side and it was a bit noisy but that was not a problem. The room was very good and spacious. On the roof was a very nice bar and breakfast was also good. We arranged a taxi from this hotel to battambang.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

This hotel looks like it has been totally renovated. Our suite was excellent, very large with a hugh
bathroom ( bathtub and shower ), there was a great work area as well as a separate sitting area.
The sound insulation was fantastic as we did not hear any noise from the busy street below.
Breakfast was excellent and was a la carte, not a buffet.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

we were hoping to enjoy our room on the Mekong but we were put in a back room with 2 small side windows with frosted glass you couldn't even see out of. The hotel itself is in a good location but is very run down and very poorly managed. Staff tried to do their best but weren't able to supply an extra pillow because they couldn't find an extra pillow case. Strange set up - if you want to come in and out of the hotel after the restaurant and bar closed which appeared to be fairly early you had to walk through the restaurant with its open bar.
There were ants on the wall behind the bed right where your pillows are. This hotel is in really poor shape - the carpets were filthy and needed to be stretched - smelled musty as well - we almost left - but only had one night so we toughed it out. Would not recommend.

Room Tip: from the comments maybe the front rooms are better but don't take the back if you are claustroph...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I was part of a small group who came here. Although we had all reserved the suite rooms on the front rather than the smaller rooms on the back, one of our party ended up having to have a smaller room. The difference is like chalk and cheese. One is small and dark with no real windows and no where to sit, the other huge, bright, airy with a large working area and a separate seating area leading through a glazed panel to a balcony with seats and a table overlooking the quay and the river. I was in room 16 and the front suites are worth much more than the USD30 or so per night extra charge.

One small disadvantage of Room 16 was that as it was directly below the roof top bar you could here the bar music, a bit, in the room. However it wasn't a big issue for me.

Effort and money has been spent on the hotel fit out (only 16 rooms, 4 per floor, two on the front per floor and two on the back). I suspect that maintenance is/will be a bit more of a challenge and there are signs of dust accumulation in locations out of easy reach. Staff are enthusiastic but you sense that they are learning as they go along and sometimes have not been taught a high standard. That said I would very happily stay in any of the front facing suites again, although not a rear room.

I enjoyed the roof top bar. I understand that there are not many in Phnom Penh, but it made a change from the many ground floor street level bars

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

We splurged and went with the suite with a balcony overlooking the Tonle Sap River. This boutique hotel has a modern1960's vibe. The breakfast was very good. The suite room was huge with a very modern shower. The hotel booked a tuk tuk driver to take us to the Killing Fields and S21. They also booked a driver to take us to the airport. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We had some small mold spots on the ceiling which may have come from the AC duct since it was right above the mold spots but everything else was uber clean and comfy. The rooftop pool was very tiny. We didn't use it but went up to the roof to check it out. All in all we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: All the rooms were nice. We like to have a view so we splurged for a suite. The standard rooms don...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family