“Rip off boat ride”

85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Rip off boat ride”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Our driver took us to Lake Tonale Sap, which was an interesting drive seeing the villages on stilts. We paid for our family of five to get a boat to the floating villages, got the tickets, then 10 mins later an official came and asked us for $20 more as apparently our kids were not kids, despite having seen passports at ticket purchase. The boat was ok, the guide was poor despite good English. The floating village was very poor and I found it very sad to see the squalor that these folk live in. The country side villages seemed much better. However, I think thousands of tourists going to this one little village has created a cycle of dependence on begging. Women with small kids, kittens and cobras came up to our stationary boat and demanded money. The driver and guide did nothing to avoid this, in fact I am sure it is all part of the tour. The crocodile farm was just one small pool seething with overcrowded crocs. Skip this and instead get your driver to take you out to the countryside.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Aucklander68

Ko Samui, Thailand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't waste your time”
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

We visited the floating villages on advice from our tour guide that we hired for two days and really feel we got ripped off. Upon arrival we were told we had to pay $20 each to take a boat to the villages which was allot given the price of everything else in Cambodia. Our boats captain stopped for all of the begging children and families on route which were begging us for "one dollar". When we arrived at the villages we were only able to get off at one little market and then turned around and went back to shore. The only interesting thing about these villages was seeing how poor these people were which is sad as we paid over $40 to go out and see them. Wondering where our money went...!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Stacey C
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Waste of time and money!!!!”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

first of all you take transport to the pier for the boat on a road which can only be described as a motorcross track. on arrival you are rushed to the counter to pay $20 for the boat trip without being told anything about the trip.

once you get on the boat you are told about the school on the river and how tourists are supposed to buy rice for the local school... on arrival to the floating market you realise it is not actually a market just a shop that sells rice, the rice is price at $35 for 20kgs of rice (expensive for any part of the world). the tour guide trys to claim that 45% of the money gos to the community but it is very apparant it does not.

other than the school and this shop there is virtually nothing else to see. the tour guide asked for a tip for him and the driver, and i burst out laughing.

Blatently a tourist trap, do not waste the effort on this attraction it really is dissapointing.

Ellis D

Visited August 2013
2 Thank ellis d
Perth
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“1 dolla 1 dolla”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I found the tour amusing. There are kids in these big silver bowls with broken boards paddling along begging the tourists for $1 $1!!!!! You try & take a photo & a kid with a snake will walk up & freak you out then go $1 $1. They begging kids will cling on to the boat going $1 $1The local market tried to charge us $65 for 50kgs of rice....I don't think 50kg of rice cost that much in oz so there's no way it costs that much in Cambodia. When they tried to sell me the plate....initially I thought it was a royal not realising its me....then I cracked up laughing. If you don't want to see how a lot of locals live this isn't for you. I think the only English words most of the kids can say is $1 $1!!!

Visited July 2013
Borehamwood, England, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A good insight into the real Cambodia.”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We enjoyed the boat trip to the floating village the most. Our guide that came with the boat was really nice and spoke good English. On the way to the village he explained about the fisherman along the river and their back story.

When we got to the floating village, we were offered to go to the community market. We saw no reason why not, and we were taken to a wholesalers. What we weren't told is that you are expected to buy some food or water to go and take to the local school. This was annoying as we were not told that was the reason we were going to the market. We were bullied into buying noodles for $15 and we then proceeded to the school.

When we got to the school, we felt like we were filming a comic relief video as I was carrying their lunch on my shoulders. The children were very nice, and we got a thank you from the headmaster (even though he probably says it about 30 times a day). We bought the food for the starving children, but we then saw all the boat drivers tucking into the food, which was disappointing as I bought that food for the children.

We then went to a "crocodile farm" which consisted no more than a small pen with 4 crocs, a small shop and a scary girl with a dead snake around her neck. We avoided her at all costs and quickly left.

When we got back, a child presented us with a plate that had our faces on which was weird as I thought plates with faces on were only for royalty and of course, they wanted to charge you $20 for the privilege to eat off a plate with your face on.

It's something you feel you have to do but I would recommend against it.

Visited June 2013