“Stylish Hotel”

The Rizqun International Hotel
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed at hotel for 3 nights from 01/09/13, the room was large and
Clean, the bed was comfortable, breakfast was ok , next to a shopping
mall and transport to the city is outside the hotel, staff are great and helpful
airport is 7 km away but prepare to pay $25 dollars for the trip. make sure
you visit the night market next to the hotel for a cheap meal the night market
is open every night of the week , otherwise there isn`t much to see in Brunei

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vince L

Reviewed September 13, 2013

10 minutes away from airport. The corridors and room are extremely cold, even when the air conditioners are adjusted higher. in terms of facilities the plus is it is near to all business entities. So it is good for short business trip. Wifi is also intermittent, to fully utilise it, we have to all crowd into the third floor business centre, like a business traveller's community there.

Otherwise, nothing much to review about.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed in Rizqun way back in January 2010. For a five star hotel, some rooms were small and some were bigger than the others though the room type was the same. I was shocked to find that the rooms for some of my friends were bigger, the bathroom and toilet were also bigger. But we were booked on the SAME room type.

The foods in the buffet were ok BUT for a 5 star hotel, there was so little selection/options. The same foods over and over for 1 week!

No complimentary wifi/LAN even for long staying guests and free wifi in the lobby was crap.

Food room service was ok, it was fast.

I have to agree with other guests that rooms were dirty/dusty.

Nothing much to do in the hotel, not much of amenities compared to other 5 star hotels except their boasted huge swimming pool which I never attempted to use. From my room, I could see the dirty pool water so no, I never attempted to get near the pool.

As for the staff, I found them ok. They were courteous (I don't know if it's because I was one of the guests of the Sultan and Crown Prince's ASEM event) but I never had any problem with the staff's attitude or behavior.

But for the service, I had a serious problem. See, I was in a large group of guests for the ASEM event and during our last night of stay, we came straight from the forest, prepared ourselves for the farewell dinner blah blah blah...Obviously I was checked-in and given a key card..After the farewell dinner, I went straight to my bed to sleep while my other friends party in the pool. To my surprise the next day when I woke up, my room mate was like: "Hey, the ushers and usherettes were looking for you. They said your name was not in the checked-in guests." I was like, "What? I did check-in. How the hell would I have access in the room? What, I stole a key card from someone?!" Obviously, the hotel system was so so. I was nearly reprimanded by the organisers from that incident.

To think that it is a 5 star hotel, they were not pepared to handle so much guests and multiple events. (The time we stayed there was also the time were there was an international billiards competition and a visit from one of Brunei's princes."

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road is better than the ones facing the pool. You can hear the noise from the pool...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ShinCat
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Fair verdict: this hotel may not fare really well in Tripadvisor because this is where international (business) guests usually stay (other being the Empire Hotel). For businesspeople, internet is really crucial, and boy, how they fail to deliver this basic service to the market.

I stayed here for 3 nights and only managed to get smooth (wired) internet access for a night in the room. Colleagues called me lucky because they couldn't even be connected in the room.

To brief you: internet is not free unless you book room with Premiere Club or higher class (Junior Suite, etc). Not sure how much the internet is if paid, but I heard from colleague it was B$40/day. I happened to get complimentary access.

Internet network in this hotel is segmented throughout premises:
1. If you connect via wifi (regular speed) & LAN (broadband speed) in rooms, you will have to get the paid username & password. The username & password is valid only for 24 hours (counting down even if you don't use it), and only for 1, yes ONE, device.
2. If you connect in public and semi-private space like the Coffee House or Premiere Lounge, you can easily enter a WPA2 key password to be connected to the network SSID (a.k.a. protected wifi).
As the result, speed and reliability differs throughout the premises. I was not sure what causes the network to be wrecked so frequently, but during my stay I have received at least two letters apologizing on the internet disruption, with the last one saying that the only place to be able to get connected was on 3rd floor (??).

Now, workaround. The 1 username-password credential for 1-device is indeed ridiculous. So what I did was that whenever I was in room, I plugged my MacBook Air and connect to the LAN, and shared the LAN connection via the the laptop's wifi, so that other devices (phones, etc) can get connected to the internet too.

Sadly, that only worked for a night because the next two nights, the service was disrupted.

My advice to the hotel is to actually get a good company to take care of their internet service. I don't know about Brunei, but in MY, SG, ID, cost for integrated & sophisticated system is not really expensive. For the Nomadix hardware that it uses (relatively good hardware), what can possibly be the cause of the constant disruption really bugs me. If local talents cannot solve this, I highly recommend outsource the service rather than sacrificing the good name of your business.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank applecart3355
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I booked this hotel last Thursday for business trip. The airport transfer did not turn up even though the staff Nurlina sent me two emails reassuring my pickup time. Fortunately the hotel is not too far away by taxi.

Breakfast was lousy the next morning, but overall the hotel experience is ok.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We had 1 night here to avoid a 10 hour lay over at the airport. To be honest I wouldn't stay here again, the rooms were ok, standard hotel room but the hallways....I have never seen so much open space in a hotel ever, cold and uninviting, If I had to overnight again I would choose more a resort than a hotel, maybe the Empire even though it is about 40 min drive away. Not much to do in Brunei, and if you love a drink and a smoke stay away, you wouldn't last the distance.
I didn't find the service overly friendly and was basically given our room key with no direction at all, I had to ask where the lifts were and where breakfast was. Wifi really bad and it's chargeable $40 for 1 day , they advertise wifi in lobby but still chargeable. It was impossible to get any connection in the room and I had to stand in the hallway to get any connection whatsoever. Overall hotel was clean, rooms ok but would choose elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Impressive hotel with large room and generous spaces. Service was slow (e.g. over one hour to clear and lay tables for breakfast). Internet was extremely unreliable: do not plan on having internet access at this hotel. Conveniently located next to comprehensive shopping mall with discount department stores nearby and wide choice of food. Not far from airport. Pool mainly unused. Quiet.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
#9 of 20 in Bandar Seri Begawan
Palm Garden Hotel
Palm Garden Hotel
#8 of 20 in Bandar Seri Begawan

Been to The Rizqun International Hotel? Share your experiences!