“Fair ... but probably better options”

The Rizqun International Hotel
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed here while in Brunei for a conference. Nice location and decent service - but some significant drawbacks such as no wifi service, costly transport to the airport and slow front-desk service. If I go back, I will find other locations.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed June 23, 2012

I arrived at about 2 am for a medical conference on the same day. The hotel looks clean and proper. The receptionist who checked me in did not do a very good job. He was not forth coming with information as I had to asked him wether the room was paid for, and wether there was breakfast included. I forgot to ask about internet connection then. I went up to my room. My bags were delivered to me about 20 to 30 mins after I got into the room eventhough there was only another couple checking in at the same time.

As I had to prepare a presentation for the conference I needed internet connection. When the bell boy finally delivered my luggage, I asked him about the availablity of USB cable for my laptop as it was not available in the room, and he specifically said it was not in the hotel. The wifi connection was poor and at times appeared unavailable. So I brought my laptop down to the lobby hoping to get some connection. Apparently when asking the same bell boy who was now manning reception, wifi was not available but now there is USB cable for RENT. I was a bit disgusted, as he lied to me before.

I just signed off the rental form and went up to the room. And upon connection, the internet was chargable.

I travelled quite a bit, but this is the first hotel that really gave a bad first impression.

I will definitely complain to the management

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank cooldoc1971
Reviewed May 11, 2012

This hotel has a wonderful staff and is in a great location. The Gadong Mall is attached, so lots of places to shop and eat. The 4th floor of the Gadong Mall has a food court for local food and is very good. Every night the might market has wonderful local food and is only a 5 minute walk. The gym is limited and I don't think there is a sauna (just take a wlk and it's hot enough). There is a barber shop and hardware store across the street. The barber shop is US$4 with a quick neck massage. For the price and location it's the best hotel in Brunei.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank sclotz
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I don't even know where to start. When I checked in, I asked for a packet that was left by my colleagues for me at the front desk. "No miss, there's no message for you". After I insisted that this was not the case, the person "checked" with a colleague and came back with the same reply. I gave up, very irritated as the packet contained all my work papers for the next day, and accepted my key to go to my room. I went to the elevators only to find out the key didn't work. Went back for another key. This time it worked, and I opened what I thought would be my room, only to find a terrified Japanese couple there (this was at around half past midnight) half dressed. Apparently, I was given their room in error. Furiated, I went back to the reception and was given a new room. I told the receptionist that I really needed my packet for the next day and told them to find it. I specifically asked them NOT to bring it that night if they found it, so I could get a good nights sleep, and to be sure, I hung the do not disturb sign on my door. This didn't stop them from knocking on my room around 1 am with the packet. I couldn't believe it.

My bathroom was disgusting so I asked someone to come clean it for me. This never happened.

The wifi didn't work so they said they will send a bellboy up "right away" to assist me. Never happened.

On the plus side, the location was very good. Hence, two stars and not one.

On the absurd side, the elevators were stopped because some princess was due to use them. Seriously?

The mattress was so hard it was like sleeping on a rock.

There was no gym.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank observatrice
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Disappointing experience: slow service, non-existing wifi and shabby rooms. Negative highlight was the blockage of the lifts for appx. 20 minutes due "to the visit of the princess". Will look for other options next time.

Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Kai S
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Just arrived from my trip to brunei stayed at this hotel, see my observations :
Accessible - its highly accessible to mall, mosque, even to other religious churches
Staff - they were accommodating
PRice - price
Food - can be better i hope there are mo intercontinental choices
Room - only concern when i got into the room i tried to pick up phone directory to check on some no, and the it gathered some dust ,, its obvious HK hasnt picked it up since because the dust was quite significant.
Toiletries - limited hotels who would provide quality toiletries (not class a) in this hotel i think needs some major change the soap, shampoo lotion something i cant stand the smell ...
Airconditioned - its too cold

but overall compared to other hotels this is good enough !

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed in the Rizqun International Hotel last week and I thought it was excellent and it was a great way to break the journey between London and Melbourne. Check in was quick and efficient and my room was very comfortable with plenty of room to relax. It's located a few minutes drive from the 'downtown' area of Bandar above the main shopping centre/mall and very close to the night market. You can easily get downtown by taxi or 'purple minibus.' The pool was good to relax in, especially standing under the waterfall area, but there were no towels available. Breakfast was of a decent quality with a good range of food. Internet is available, but wasn't free. Other reviewers have said that it was so it may depend on how much you've paid for your room, or some other criteria. All the staff I met or saw were polite, friendly, very helpful and efficient.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
#9 of 20 in Bandar Seri Begawan
Palm Garden Hotel
Palm Garden Hotel
#8 of 20 in Bandar Seri Begawan

Been to The Rizqun International Hotel? Share your experiences!