“"Haunted" by the experience”
Review of KHS Resthouse

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bandar Seri Begawan
KHS Resthouse
Reviewed May 5, 2013

KH soon guesthouse is an old dimly lit haunted hospital with the occasional occurrence of spirit sighting...

NOT.

At least that's what you would believe if you read the earlier reviews. (I went there apprehensively after the reviews)

Guess lighting makes all the difference especially when you are an older building but perhaps in this case, the motel is only guilty of saving one too much electricity power. (Dim lighting makes it really creepy looking, at least for the hallway)

The motel is situated in the heart of BSB Brunei, within walking distance of attractions. This is important since there are limited public transport options in Brunei.

The motel facilities are... Well... Shabby at most. Rule no one: bring your own towel! Room wise the capacity is indeed spacious, we paid 45 for an en suite room and there were 2 beds. (One double, one single) Guess this is just the way the place is set up. Air con levels are passable and water heater is lukewarm at best.

Before I forget, bath water might leak out of the bathroom partition into bedroom area when you shower. I realized this late and was promptly greeted by a reservoir by the time I'm done.

There is no wi-fi in the room, or the motel. You are advised to hit the coffee bean by the street for free wifi.

Unless you have your arrangements of transport, you are very much advised to rough it out here. (Since most people spend 1-2 days tops in Brunei). At press time, your only other budget option would be Pusat Belia, which imposes a strictly different genders different dorm room policy.

All in all, it’s a very spacious but very humble livable abode.

Room Tip: room 309 has a leaky shower barrier, otherwise its all good.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I am supposed to stay at Pusat Belia Youth hostel but because I came in on a friday, the hotel reception is close. I have no other choice but to go to KH Soon. The hotel looks creepy. The kind of hotel you usually see in B-movies. Although the room given to me was huge, it does not have its own bathroom, so I have to use the shared ones. The room needs cleaning and repainting. The bathroom needs repair. The air-conditioning is not working so well either. The only plus point I could think of is its proximity to famous landmarks in BSB. For a price of $33, I felt I was robbed big time (oh well this is Brunei, everything is expensive).

Room Tip: It does not pay to get rooms with bathroom. The hotel doesn't seem to get full, so shared bathr...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank parris_ville
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This place seriously gave me the creeps. Shady looking characters just hanging out, crumbling and decrepit rooms, bathrooms that had constantly leaking pipes and mold on the walls. And for the prices I was paying? I wanted to cry. It was such an unpleasant experience that I scrapped my plans to stay a second night in order to catch the morning boat to Sabah, and took an evening flight to KK instead. It is the kind of place where you wouldn't be surprised if someone hid a video camera in the wall. Avoid avoid avoid.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank enigmused
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We are supposed to stay at Pusat Belia but were tired. We were in the Borneoguide office which is located 1 floor lower than K.H. Soon. We're 8 pax and we paid B$18 each. We stayed in room 411 and room 410. Room 411 is better than room 410. A lot bigger and cleaner. Upon entering the hallway, we all agreed with the same impression that the hostel seems an old hospital but renovated and transformed into a hostel. A/C works well. Beds are good. Pillows are soft. Linens are clean but in our room, we're 4 but they provide 1 towel and 1 small bar soap only. Bathroom fixtures are broken, with lot of stains. Good thing it has hot and cold shower with good water pressure. Location is good. Near Tamu Market and Jalan Cator for bus terminal, Foodcourt in just in the next building. They sell bottled water. Stay here if you're not so choosy about the ambiance/atmosphere and the enire feel of the building. My companions were not comfortable sleeping here. They even joked, asking " where is the nurse station?" .

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We checked pusat belia first but there was some cat exhibiton and they were full. So we went to k.h. and got a double room for 48 brunei dollars. The room was huge, clean with a big window. Shared bathroom on the corridor, only squat toilet, hot shower and no internet. Ok for one night if you don't want to pay much more.
We were just crossing brunei, coming from miri and continued to labuan next morning. If you don't want to do anything special there, just walk around and visit the big mosque and maybe take a boat trip, 120 - 150 b$ should be enough for 2 people (hotel, food, bus to serasa ferry terminal (1b$), boat to labuan (i think it was 17 b$) and don't forget to keep 2 b$ per person for departure tax). It can be less if you want to eat on the street but they have some very nice meals and wifi in the royal cafe next to the coffee beans :-)

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Berrz B
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was supposed to stay at Pusat Belia but unknowingly I arrived on Brunei's National Day and the place was packed to the brim with students. So I went hunting for another backpacker lodge and found this one by chance. As a backpacker I don't expect that much from my temporary lodgings but this was quite a letdown even for a usual backpacker hotel.

It's not that it was entirely bad; it did have its redeeming points - the staff were friendly and helpful and its strategic location is near many of the attractions in BSB. However, it was very rundown and somewhat unclean, even for a typical old lodge. The walls were stained, window sills were jaggedly rough and rusty, floor was dusty with cracks and shelf and table had a old, dusty feel. The bathrooms didn't fare better; it felt dirty and uncomfortable. Also, personally I felt that the lack of wifi connectivity was an inconvenience and had to go down to a nearby Coffee Bean for travel updating. Given all this, a BNR33 charge per night was relatively and unjustifiably expensive.

I stayed there for two nights and the kindest longest I'd give is only 2 nights more. If you have high expectations of cleanliness, this isn't your place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Room was basic but clean, clean bedding, hot water, aircon; cheap in comparison to all hotels in Brunei. I twisted my ankle in the street and bedridden for 3 days and the hotel staff helped me with food and drinks. Cannot speak highly enough about them - friendly, happy, polite and more than helpful. Nothing scary about the place!

Room Tip: Ask if the hot water and toilet work; see the first room before deciding to stay.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo