“Fine for short business stay.”

Orchid Garden Hotel
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I was here for 2 nights on business trip through Asia, and it was fine, although maybe wouldn't be my first choice if I was doing the booking.
Hotel was clean, service was fine.

Room was ok, bit dated, nothing special, nothing memorable, but it was clean and comfortable.

Internet worked kept logging in and out. Had to log in every two minutes.

Cafe in lobby was fine, buffet breakfast decent enough.

I didn't try the pool, although a colleague wasn't impressed.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Have stayed here twice in the last two months, the food served in the restaurant (which also provides the room service food) is not upto the mark. Ordered a local fish and chips and was sent a microwave re-heated dish, being in a hurry to catch my outbound flight did not send it back. Otherwise the hotel is exactly what it says on the tin.

Room Tip: some of the rooms have electrical problems, ask for a change immediately
1  Thank GGfromMumbai
Reviewed September 25, 2013

The airport transfers were efficient. The hotel was clean and aesthetics very pleasing. Check in was easy. Wifi had its problems. They ran an extra free shuttle for us to the city and pickup was on time and easy. Room was very comfortable. Free breakfast was delicious and you are seriously spoilt for choice. Our night there was included in our flight cost from Melbourne to Hong Kong. Highly recommend

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Megan L
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I spent a month here in Aug/Sept 2013. The room was in excellent shape, only the safe failed to work which I did not bother to report, bedding was good, room was quiet and very pleasant. The included breakfast was well done most days with the odd exception. By far the best feature is the hotel's location. It is close to everything by road - you do need a car because there is nothing to walk to here. There are no traffic jams in this area at any time of day and you have easy access to anything I can think of, unlike some of the downtown hotels, and the big one on the coast road. The restaurant downstairs crashed and burned on evening meals. High priced and very sad. My first try turned out to be chicken (I think - species was uncertain) more or less raw. I did not eat much of it. The second try was traditional fish and chips. They took the traditional part of the label pretty seriously because the fish had what must have been a decade old freezer burn. I paid the bill and left, never to return again except for the breakfast. So, you must have a car if you want to eat dinner. Oh yeah - you must start your shower water running 10 minutes before your shower time because the water system is only partly functional (no working recirculation system to keep the pipes hot with a very distant water heater). Not only that but when I first got here, no amount of time would yield shower temperature hot water. I spoke with the desk (resistance is futile), and had my booking agent talk to the manager. Everybody in the hotel should thank me for that gesture as now they can get hot showers with just a little patience and lead time. I like it here. I'll be back....

Room Tip: I was solo here so just had a regular room. With wifi, some do not work, try a different one. The 6t...
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We recently stayed 3 nights in this hotel, which is badly in need of renovation and has obviously seen better days! The hotel shuttle previously ordered to meet us on arrival at the airport did not turn up. With the airport terminal under renovation, it was very difficult to find a taxi at 1am. The hotel receptionists were not terribly helpful, despite our having arranged for a late check-in (actually 2 am & having paid for that full night). Our room key did not work, necessitating a return to ground floor reception from 5th floor for a replacement. We actually had to have our key re-computed three times during our stay!
The room was OK but "tired". Breakfast was just adequate but food generally in the main restaurant was re-heated (re-cycled) and I suspect left-over from catered functions in other parts of the hotel. The one night we went to a fabulous Japanese Restaurant in town, we were again stranded when the hotel shuttle arranged for 10.10pm pick- up did not arrive. Shops all shut, no taxis anywhere,very few people about & no one spoke English - quite scary. Eventually found someone still at now-closed restaurant, who phoned hotel for us who then sent shuttle to collect us. We did not get a serious apology until we asked for the Night Manager. I feel the young Muslim staff had only very basic English & did not take their jobs seriously. As a peace-offering we were offered Yum Cha the next day in their Chinese Restaurant which was very good. The Hotel is close to the airport but not close enough to walk to the city. Taxis need to be pre-ordered and Hotel Shuttle completely unreliable. In Brunei you need reliable transport or to be walking distance from the city centre, I suggest.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MelbourmeHellie
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed here for 24 hr stopover. Pick up from the airport was smooth, with a very short drive to the hotel. All the taxi transfers seem to be a set rate, which is secure for the passenger , if somewhat expensive, for the distance.Staff were pleasant and friendly, check in/ out was good. Room was pleasant, nice big bed and had everything we needed. ( iron, hair dryer, plenty of tea & coffee, complimentary water). A/c was good. Food at the restaurant ( Chinese ) was tasty and similar in price to Aus. Breakfast offered a good variety, I enjoyed to local dishes but it was not very warm. Pleasant surrounds in dining room, staff very pleasant. Pool was clean, cool and refreshing. Had a late check out at 2 pm, bags were securely stored for a few hours. The surrounding district was very quiet, although there was an interesting open air food market very nearby. I would love to have tried the food if I wasn't heading for a long haul flight later that day. We waited in the foyer area, on some comfortable lounges, until we had to leave for the airport. Return transfer was complimentary by the hotel.For a quiet stop over this was good. The place was probably very stylish when it first opened but could do with a bit of a make over, some investment and TLC, especially the pool area. Having stayed at several other hotels in Brunei, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the stadium.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lynda l
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here with high expectations, as many heads of stated made this hotel there pit stop during high level conferences. The hotel is functionally ok but I struggled with power supply, adapters and internet service which, in today's day and age, is unforgivable for a top business hotel. The business center was there fortunately to help - staff is general were helpful. This place good use an upgrade, especially the beds are form the last generation and are not as comfortable as what you would expect for that price. Overall I would rate this average.

1  Thank Rudi M