“Good Location”

The Centrepoint Hotel
Reviewed March 24, 2013

It is located in a very strategic location, surrounded by departmental stores, shopping malls & restaurants. Good condition & well maintained. Average maintenace of pool & gym. Overall its above average.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Murali M

Reviewed February 17, 2013

At first I booked this hotel without giving it much expectation as I thought it's quite an old hotel in Brunei. However, when I check in and saw the room, I am happy to be staying there. The location itself is very good. Easy to go to everywhere and easy to find food around. The check in process is a bit slow. Everything in the room is working fine and bed is nice and comfy. My only bad impression was the check out process is super slow and worst one ever I have came across. Maybe during the time I check out there was a huge tourist group arriving for check in, thus there was a mess at the counter and I have waited for almost 1 hour to get the check out done.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank evateh
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I found this hotel as among one of the best in Brunei. It has all you need, good restaurant, health club, swimming pool , tennis court, badminton court, shopping mall, supermarket in the same building.
It is situated in the most nicest place of the town.It has very nice close by restaurants and fast food joints. Walkable distance from 1 of the biggest mall of brunei "The Mall"

Junior Suite Rooms are huge with kitchen and all rooms are nicely setup. Hotel staff is also very friendly and helpful.

If you are going to stay for longer duration, you can bargain for the room rates :)

Room Tip: Front side road facing rooms are very noisy, go for backside rooms if you are planning to stay there...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2012

You never get a second chance to make a first impression and unfortunately my first impression is an overpriced, under delivered Hotel. Generally if the service is good you can forgive the mould in the resteraunt, cleanliness issues in the room, dirty pool area with no chairs and cigarette butts everywhere, and terrible breakfast, but as we were treated very off handedly as we arrived it accentuated the above.

Would not stay again, nor recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Talei B
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Arriving at the airport with Royal Brunei in the late afternoon, we discussed the option of taking a bus or taxi, and taxi won as we were quite tired. The ride to the hotel was short, 10 minutes at most (maybe that was just our taxi driver). Our first impression was exactly as expected from their website. The staff at the front desk at first seemed "shy", but as our 4 day stay progressed we realised that this is the culture, and we could not have asked any more from any of the staff at Centerpoint, they are very helpful. Our room was on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool. We found it spacoius, comfortable and clean. The best was a little soft for me, but my wife loved it. You will find a couple of bottles of water in the room each day, but tap water is fine to drink and we were constantly topping up our bottles whenever we went out on an adventure. There is also a minibar in the room, but do not expect or ask for alcohol, nor drink any bought duty free in public. Smoking in public is also forbidden, and not recommended in the room either, unless you specifically ask for a "smoking" room. The hotel is part of a shopping complex, large for Brunei, but do not expect a Westfield shopping centre. There are some great eateries very close to the hotel, including McDonalds for those who are not adventurous, but we made our way down the road to the open air food market which was fantastic. Public transport is good, expect to pay $1 for a trip into town, which is a great adventure in itself, however, we were there during Ramadan, so certain mosques were not open to the public, and as the local muslim population fasted during the day, the feasts in the evenings were great. Not a normal tourist destination, but one we hope to go back to.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Noojee
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I spent three nights in Brunei and stayed at the Centrepoint Hotel. The hotel itself is well located and the room I had was quite large and elegantly furnished with nice teak furniture and the hotel is only 10 or 15 years old and still looks quite new. I took a taxi from the airport and it only took around 15mins.

Next door to the hotel is Brunei's main shopping centre and it has a nice mix of stores and restaurants, including the nation's only McDonalds!

Within the hotel complex itself is the coffee bean coffee shop. It has free wifi and serves some delicious desserts. The hotel's own restaurant was on the first floor and is of a very modern layout, and there was lots to choose from on the buffet breakfast. Free Wifi was also available in the restaurant

My bedroom was nicely furnished and everything was spotlessly clean and the bathroom was also quite large and everything was in order with a good power shower also. A large laptop sized safe, mini bar and tea and coffee making facilities are also provided in the room. The TV had over 80 channels and it checked out ok. Wifi is available in the bedroom but it was incredibly expensive so I did not bother with it when I could access free wifi in both the coffee shop and restaurant on the second floor.

The staff were efficient and very helpful in ordering taxis and advising on the sights to see, housekeeping did a great job also throughout my stay.

Brunei itself has a very laid back lifestyle and the City Centre is more like a town centre in bigger countries, this hotel would make the perfect stopover as the whole place is so calm and unrushed, Brunei Airport was a charm with only a short walk from the plane to the taxis, so relaxed and I would consider returning again for a pleasant stopover. The main sights are within easy reach by taxi or if you want to brave the heat on foot, taxis in Brunei are incredibly expensive compared to Thai or Malaysian standards.

All in the hotel did everything I expected of it and it is a nice place to stay for a few nights and whilst it was quite expensive I would consider staying there again if I ever return to Brunei or transit through the country.

Room Tip: The higher floors have a better view and when it rains you will be treated to a great natural viewin...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank tomthepost
Reviewed June 1, 2012

As I was working in Brunei for a month, I lived at this hotel. The hotel starts to show it is dated - and it is really noisy. The service is ok, and the location is ok. There is a coffee shop in the hotel, as well as restaurants and a shopping mall. Service in the coffee shop is good. I had to go to work before they opened every morning, but still they were able to make me a cup of coffee.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms faving the road in front - I had one, and it was really noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business