“Deserving of #1”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2013

After realizing that BSB doesn't have the same street food/mall food scene that exists in Malaysia, my wife and I started looking for a restaurant. We were so happy with this find that we dined here three times. The menu is so varied and creative that we couldn't resist. The sushi servings are generous. The ingredients are fresh. The service is prompt, efficient and friendly. The place is immaculately clean. Take your time and go through the various offerings as they are extensive. It is a busy place so a reservation is a good idea. The restaurant is frequented by tourists as well as locals. Try to get a table overlooking all of the action on the river. You need to be a little adventurous unless you don't mind asking the staff endless questions about what is in the various dishes as pictures are provided but not ingredients. This is the one suggestion that I would give the owner- provide ingredients next to the pictures on the menu. Have a pen in hand to write the order numbers or expect a lot of flipping of menu pages- it is that extensive. We highly recommend this place.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I've been to quite a few Japanese restaurants in my life and this is definitely the best one I've been to. What a great selection of fresh, mouth-watering dishes! Unfortunately I don't live in Brunei otherwise I'd be here every week!

3  Thank shueshue
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Kaizen Sushi has several locations in Bandar Seri Begawan. I visited the waterfront restaurant overlooking the Kampong Ayer on the far shore (stilt city). The decor is pleasant - clean modern lines, polished stone, dark wood, bamboo screen and picture windows looking out onto the river. The menu is extensive (almost exhaustive) and rather daunting, since aside from classic nigiri, sashimi, and maki, tempura, noodles, teppanyaki etc there are pages and pages of fusion rolls ranging from the intriguing (Inari Spicy Shake Sushi -spicy minced raw salmon in a tofu pouch) to the downright bizarre (Bacon maki? Seared beef and asparagus maki? Tuna and melted cheese nigiri?)

The range of fish is truly exceptional and all of it was fresh and flavourful. Nigiri orders come in pairs, standard maki and temaki in 6-8 pcs at prices which - though pricey for Brunei - are extremely affordable for the traveller. The various 'creative' takes on sushi which blend local flavours are considerably more expensive.

King crab tempura had perfect, light batter and the crabmeat was succulent. Nigiri (maguro, hamachi, unagi) was impeccable. The only fusion maki I tried (Spicy scallop in mayonnaise(?) wrapped in nori) was pleasant enough, but not something I'd add to my own list.

Service was prompt and attentive. All in all, an excellent place for lunch, with a tranquil view of the bustling river and the stilt city beyond.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Me and my husband found this restaurant on the trip advisor and had a fantastic meal. I have to say the best sushi I have ever tried. Very smart place with affordable prices and good waiting staff. If you fancy a nice evening out that's the place to be.

1  Thank Tom F
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Love the cool design of plates and stuffs. Food is great. The place itself is great. Strongly recommended. Also, a perfect place for a dinner :)