“I really enjoyed my stay”

Mangrove Paradise Resort
“I really enjoyed my stay”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I spend one night at this place and i found it nice and interesting. This is a good place if you are fishing enthusiast. You can either fish at the pond or by the river itself near your room.

The food are nice and yummy especially the 'ikan bakar' with local sauce 'sambal belacan'.

Personally i really recon to those who want to relax their mind and i am really looking forward to check in again this january 2012.....cheers!!!

• Stayed December 2011
7 Thank Honey_bee5182

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Indonesian first
Lumut
Reviewed February 14, 2010

The resort is about 20min from city and a great place to spend weekend with families in a surrounding mangroves. We booked two rooms (2 children) of the 15 rooms resort which were fully booked at the time of our stay in Feb. The room is very decent, clean and well appointed with a beautiful 'kampong ayer' view. However, the bathroom is a bit small and at times had a low pressure shower. Fishing is the main activity day & night (at veranda) and it was really great fun weather you are an angler or not..! We enjoyed a boat ride and stopped by a fishing farm which is across the hotel. The staff is friendly, a great place for relaxing and have no hesitation returning for some more fun..!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank ihsan78
Brunei
Reviewed November 13, 2009

My wife and I booked into the resort on the 4th November. At first we were extremely impressed with the location and facilities, but on closer inspection and as we actually used the facilities, the stay turned into a nightmare.
In all the time we were there, we could not find any member of management and the staff were totally incapable or incompetent.
The welcome letter states that there is tea and coffee. Well there was no tea, only some coffee, cappuccino and only 2 sachets of sugar. Is there a scarcity of sugar or are guests limited to how much they can use?
Further, the letter says that room service is operational from 6 a.m. and that Z’YANs is open from 7.30. Well, room service is only available from 8am and because Z’YANs is only open from 8 a.m., my wife could not have breakfast, as she had to attend a meeting by 8am.
• The room was boiling hot when we checked in. Why was the air conditioning not switched on? Our reservation had been made well in advance.
• The TV would not switch on with the remote. When we called someone to check, there was a power button somewhere at the back of the TV that needs to be switched on first. Why are there no instructions about this?
• There were no instructions as to how to open the curtains. The cords are tucked away with no visible handles or pulleys, and it is likely that someone will pull the cords and the whole lot will fall down.
• No news channels on the TV. There should at least be BBC, Al Jazeera and CNN. For the cost per night, I would have expected more movie channels and entertainment too.
• No Wi-Fi internet connection. A basic requirement in this day and age.
• There was no toilet paper in the bathroom.
• There was no hair dryer.
• The shower button in the shower was broken off and it was extremely difficult to pull out the pin so that the shower would work.
• There are no instructions on how to work the shower and hot water.
• The tap at the hand basin is not effective. It messes water all over the place when used.
• The one bedside lamp could not plug into the 3 pin socket. When the handyman came to check, he pushed a screwdriver into the top hole to force the 2 pin plug in. Not very safe.
• The room was dusty and dirty.
• The bathroom had never been cleaned since it was built - it is clear to see the builders’ dust and pieces of tiling grout still all over the place.
• The pillows are uncomfortable and rock hard.
• The room is very over-priced at $150 a night, especially compared to the other 5 star places nearby.
• The smell when the tide went out was awful and the amount of rubbish polluting the river is a disgrace.
• This attracts rats, which can be seen running around all over the rafters.
• The swimming pools are green with algae and are not very attractive.
• The resort definitely does NOT cater for foreigners and once news of the poor service standards gets out on the internet, you will find it very difficult to attract any tourists.

In addition to the above, we experienced the worst levels of service at the restaurant that we have ever encountered.
We had booked a table for 7pm and after being seated, we ordered some cool drinks. At 7.50 we had still not been served. At least 2 other tables that had arrived after us had already received their food by then.
When we called over a waitress, she gestured with her hand. When nothing happened, I went to the desk and stood there being totally ignored by the young girl as she took payments for other customers and filed papers. Eventually I asked a waiter what was happening and he then came out to our table.
We asked him questions about the menu and he could not answer. He had no English at all.
By this time we were fed up and we left, to have a lovely meal at the Yacht Club down the road.
In the more than 50 minutes that we sat there waiting to be served, we saw 2 other tables where people were getting angry because of the poor service.

The next morning I went to have breakfast at 8am as I was told. I sat down and after 15 minutes, when nobody had even approached me, I got up and spoke to one of the waitresses. I asked her what I must do to get some breakfast and she said that I could help myself to some rice dishes.
As this was not what I would expect for breakfast, I asked her if she had a breakfast menu. She then brought me the menu for dinner!
I asked her again for breakfast and she brought me a menu that stated American Breakfast, which I ordered. After 10 minutes, she came back to tell me that I could not have the American breakfast, because they had already cooked the rice dishes.
I got up and left , checked out and will never go back to theresort again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

#3 of 20 in Bandar Seri Begawan
The Brunei Hotel
The Brunei Hotel
#4 of 20 in Bandar Seri Begawan

Been to Mangrove Paradise Resort? Share your experiences!