“just OK”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bandar Seri Begawan
Pusat Belia Youth Hostel
Pasir Mas, Kelantan, Malaysia
“just OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

a few rooms had a malfunctioned air-conds. a few had a malfunctioned standfan as well. we got both malfunctioned, haha. but it is quite cold at night though (windows open).

i'm not sure but i think it is quite hot during the day in brunei, so if u're a muslim, go straight to the prayer room at the end of another block, switch on those air-conds to the max, and have a comfort relax on the thick carpet. you might as well end up bringing ur sleeping bag and have a night over there i guess. ^^

the huge advantage is that it is very near to the city. all within walking distance.

anyway, the purpose of travel is to see places and learn things. bed is just a place to have a good sleep and to secure your luggage during the day, and this pusat belia served us well indeed!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank nazrin_afifi

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Indonesian first
Cebu, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Emailed 2x but no response. I arrive at 1030am & no one's there at the reception. The guy who seems to work there showed me to the room and he said, if theres an open room you may stay but if all is closed you have to come back later at 230pm. Good thing 1 out of 5 rooms was open! Only 1 bed is taken out of 10! Room is clean, carpeted, w/ aircon w/ 5 bunk beds. Shared bathroom/restroom. No kitchen. Internet cafe is closed until further notice. Swimming pool can be used at an addtl cost, I think B$1. No one seems to be running this place. Surveillance camera will be your only companion. :-) Cheapest available in Bandar at B$10/night. Perfect for budget travellers. Clean, comfy and near places of interest.

Room Tip: Good location. 200 meter from Radisson on the right & Jubilee hotel on the corner/left. Seems to...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank thaneecm
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

That day we arrived was Friday, there is no one day, our phone couldn't call out, so we wait and wait and wait. We first met a guy from Japan who is leaving, he bring us to a restaurant nearby to have some food. We borrow the phone from the restaurant to call, the assisstant received and said he will be there. But when we went back to there, no one is there. Then we met a guy from Bangladesh. He try to sms the guy, as a result he reply he will come back on 7.30pm. So the guy from Bangladesh told us that we could just leave our luggage there, go out to walk then come back at 7.30pm. So we just took all the valuable things and go and visit the attraction. By around 7.30, the guy come, we fill in the form, and he gave us a small rooms.

The room is clean, the bathroom is ok, but there no place to hang your clothes.

Overall, it is a perfect place to live if you have a limit budget, but, you need to take some risk and time for waiting. As I know, the people mostly come on the morning or evening. Just try your luck.

And, as I heard, there are no bed on 1st Sept till 15 Sept.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lhw0307
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

Negatives:

- Reception is closed all day on Sundays.
- I emailed 3 days before arrival to try and organize a room. No response.
- I also called a handful of times (both numbers) during business hours. Nobody ever answered.
- The guy at reception allowed me to check in at 12pm, I paid, but I explained that all of the beds were dirty and needed clean sheets. Of 10 beds, only 3 were being used and all 7 other beds were dirty and the sheets hadn't been changed from the last person. He promised to return at 9 or 10 pm to change the linens, but he never turned up. I was forced to sleep in a dirty bed given that I had already paid him and he could not be reached.
- The bathrooms had also not been cleaned in at least 24 hours. There was no toilet paper for the entire time I was there.

Positives
- There are plenty of outlets in the rooms for recharging cameras, etc.
- Good location.
- Only cheap option in BSB.
- Walking distance to bus stop.
- Air conditioning in the rooms.

In summary, it's one thing to have a vague reception that's often unattended (as hinted in the Lonely Planet and in other reviews). That I was fine with and expected. It's another thing to take full payment for the room, know that all of the beds are dirty when you take payment, and then lie about the fact that you will return later to change the sheets. Of the 50 countries I've backpacked to, this is by far the worst hostel I've been to. It's a shame they have a monopoly on BSB, because that city could really use a proper hostel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank cb02

Travelers are raving about these Bandar Seri Begawan hotels

Siem Reap, Cambodia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

Only 10B$ for a bed and perfect if you travel solo. It's not very clean, but not very dirty either. The 4 person dorm rooms have a freezing airco, but blankets are provided. Men and women have to sleep in separate sections of the hostel, which makes it a bit less fun for couples, but may be a plus for solo women travellers. There is no real communal space, except for some wooden benches on the outdoor hallway.
The reception is not staffed most of the time, so it pays to e-mail or call beforehand.
It even has a swimming pool, for 1B$. Basically the whole place is a sportshall for Bruneian youths, with a small hostel inside. If you have a few bucks more to spend, the Terrace Hotel is also nice. We spent 2 nights in Pusat Belia to save money, and 1 night in Terrace Hotel to have some luxury.

Room Tip: Only dorms. Men and women have separate sections.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ronald D
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012 via mobile

Can anyone help us? Since last month I was trying to email Pusat Belia at youthhostel.551@hotmail.com to book for a room but I still did not received any reply. Our travel will be next wk already.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Nivl
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

I was turned down a bed from the other side of BSB but a kind receptionist pointed me to PB. after waiting for 15 minutes as there is no one to receive me, an old lady led me to the winding stairways and showed me the most decent hotel room I've seen so far under the backpacker's level of accommodation. I left for dinner and breakfast in the morning with no hassle and stress. The bathroom is clean, linens are white and clean, the place is spacious with available books for reading in a very modest cost of B$10. I will definitely go back to Pusat Belia and recommend it to my travel friends.

Room Tip: The larger room on the south side is high ceiling-ed with wider beds.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo