“Worst hostel ever”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bandar Seri Begawan
Pusat Belia Youth Hostel
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Negatives:

- Reception is closed all day on Sundays.
- I emailed 3 days before arrival to try and organize a room. No response.
- I also called a handful of times (both numbers) during business hours. Nobody ever answered.
- The guy at reception allowed me to check in at 12pm, I paid, but I explained that all of the beds were dirty and needed clean sheets. Of 10 beds, only 3 were being used and all 7 other beds were dirty and the sheets hadn't been changed from the last person. He promised to return at 9 or 10 pm to change the linens, but he never turned up. I was forced to sleep in a dirty bed given that I had already paid him and he could not be reached.
- The bathrooms had also not been cleaned in at least 24 hours. There was no toilet paper for the entire time I was there.

Positives
- There are plenty of outlets in the rooms for recharging cameras, etc.
- Good location.
- Only cheap option in BSB.
- Walking distance to bus stop.
- Air conditioning in the rooms.

In summary, it's one thing to have a vague reception that's often unattended (as hinted in the Lonely Planet and in other reviews). That I was fine with and expected. It's another thing to take full payment for the room, know that all of the beds are dirty when you take payment, and then lie about the fact that you will return later to change the sheets. Of the 50 countries I've backpacked to, this is by far the worst hostel I've been to. It's a shame they have a monopoly on BSB, because that city could really use a proper hostel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank cb02

Reviewed May 10, 2012

Only 10B$ for a bed and perfect if you travel solo. It's not very clean, but not very dirty either. The 4 person dorm rooms have a freezing airco, but blankets are provided. Men and women have to sleep in separate sections of the hostel, which makes it a bit less fun for couples, but may be a plus for solo women travellers. There is no real communal space, except for some wooden benches on the outdoor hallway.
The reception is not staffed most of the time, so it pays to e-mail or call beforehand.
It even has a swimming pool, for 1B$. Basically the whole place is a sportshall for Bruneian youths, with a small hostel inside. If you have a few bucks more to spend, the Terrace Hotel is also nice. We spent 2 nights in Pusat Belia to save money, and 1 night in Terrace Hotel to have some luxury.

Room Tip: Only dorms. Men and women have separate sections.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ronald D
Reviewed May 10, 2012 via mobile

Can anyone help us? Since last month I was trying to email Pusat Belia at youthhostel.551@hotmail.com to book for a room but I still did not received any reply. Our travel will be next wk already.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Nivl
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I was turned down a bed from the other side of BSB but a kind receptionist pointed me to PB. after waiting for 15 minutes as there is no one to receive me, an old lady led me to the winding stairways and showed me the most decent hotel room I've seen so far under the backpacker's level of accommodation. I left for dinner and breakfast in the morning with no hassle and stress. The bathroom is clean, linens are white and clean, the place is spacious with available books for reading in a very modest cost of B$10. I will definitely go back to Pusat Belia and recommend it to my travel friends.

Room Tip: The larger room on the south side is high ceiling-ed with wider beds.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank anne40ph
Reviewed January 30, 2012

This is best and cheap hostel I found in BSB. For only $B10.00 per night, you can have a room with for beds. The room is very simple and has AC. Bath room and shower is communal. Men and Women headquarters are seperated. Curfew time is till 10:00 PM. Nothing to do inside of the room but wifi is available near to the swimming pool.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank db01212014d
Reviewed October 30, 2011

just to share and some advice
booking is most important via youthhostel.551@hotmail.com.
ask for package room and transport and breakfast too
the room cost $10 transport $25 sedan car $50 limo van can arrange any time

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Some weeks ago I stayed at Pusat Belia. Before getting there I tried to get information regarding the booking system but found nothing online. At the entrance to the male dorm there's a placard informing that the booking system of the hostel is on a first come, first serve basis and depends on the availability.

Room Tip: On the female dorm there are big rooms with many beds and some smaller ones for four people. I don...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple