“not as expected”

Ranked #4 of 81 Hotels in Dhaka City
Toronto, Canada
“not as expected”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

went for a dinner,well the food quality was not bad.. but i did not find the restaurant look like a five star hotel.and there were mosquitoes all over the place,,even it was near the foods which is very disgusting.
and the staff -they were good i guess
but overall disappointed and the quality is not at all like a five star should have

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank RachaelG923
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your dining experience in one of our restaurants.

We are disappointed to learn that our service offerings did not quite meet your expectations. This, however, provides us with an opportunity to re-examine and realign ourselves; and we, once again, thank you for your criticism. We certainly will look into the matter very closely and act upon it.

Please do visit our property soon for a better experience. We promise you that.

Nazrul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I'd never been to Bangladesh adn was overwhelmed by the crowded streets, noise and air quality. Howver, the Westin provided a great place to stay and escape from the activity. It is well located and has excellent service. The rooms were very nice and all the staff were very friendly. They had a great breakfast bno matter what your tastes and the restuarants were quite good. The excercise facility was well stocked with access to the pool. Although I found the pool to be too warm. I did not use the spa facilities during my stay. If I was going back to Dhaka I would not hesitate to stay here.

Room Tip: I was on the south side and o the 12th fllor so it was quiet.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel and describing it as a great place to stay. Your kind words of appreciation will inspire us do even better in future.

We have passed your comment on the water temperature of our pool to our Engineering Department. This, certainly will be looked at and exmined closely there.

Please do book with us for your next visit to Dhaka.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Extremely overpriced and bad value for money staff are typically up tight and do no recognize all customers of all races as equal I had to reprimand a staff member because they treated my friend from africa very badly also for breakfast you can't go casually wearing shorts and slippers because they insist on you being formally dressed when it is normal to be relaxed during breakfast.

• Stayed November 2012
Nazrul I, Manager at The Westin Dhaka, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience of staying with us.

It is disappointing for us to learn that The Westin Dhaka did not meet your expectations in terms of price and services. We would request you to take note of the fact that we import most of our amenities and food and beverage ingredients from abroad often against payment of a very high import duty to maintain the true five star Westin standards. This may have some minor reflection on our price structure which probably caught your attention in some places.

On the matter of wearing shorts and slippers in our restaurants which you mentioned, we would like to mention that we have a very clear policy on dress code for our venues about which our valued guests are informed well in advance. Being a member of the Starwood family The Westin Dhaka is very respectful to local culture and tradition. The dress code thus formulated for The Westin Dhaka honors the local culture and tradition.

We are sorry to hear from you that one of your friends was treated rather ‘badly’ as you felt in The Westin Dhaka. This must be an isolated incident which certainly does not reflect our policy of treating all our guests in equal manners.

To conclude, may we request that you give us another chance to serve you better! Please do book with us for your next trip to Dhaka. We promise that it will be better experience for you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

good location, very clean tidy friendly hotel with all western amenities in the Indian continent, nice barbers shop, but be ready to pay western prices. couldn't really fault it for this part of the world . crazy traffic though. would i stay there again ? maybee if i got a better deal !! overpriced for what it is

Room Tip: dont get a room near the lift as there is too much noise, also it seemed by having a gold SPG card i...
1 Thank 8888London
Dear Guest,

Monsoon greetings of Bangladesh from The Westin Dhaka!

Thank you for sharing your experience of staying with us. We are very happy to know that we were able to serve you as a, in your words, "very clean tidy friendly hotel with all western amenities".

We will be too glad to have your reservation with us for your next visit to Dhaka. We will be waiting for that.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed here for 9 days on a business trip. The staff are courteous. Breakfast is fruitful and tasty. Room is comfortable. The only set back is the road in front of the hotel is always crowded and dangerous..but guess just as everywhere in this hectic city. An authentic 5-star hotel, in a nutshell.

1 Thank zdqqq
Nazrul I, Manager at The Westin Dhaka, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings of fresh monsoon rain from Dhaka!

We appreciate your taking time to share your experience of staying with us. It feels really good to be authenticated by our valued guests as a true five star hotel.

We will be too glad to have your booking for your next trip to Dhaka.

Thank you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I was in Dhaka in late May 2013 for a week and our advice was that the Westin was the place to stay. It's a fine (as in OK) hotel. The rooms are posh, well appointed, clean, lots of marble in the bathroom (if you like that kind of thing) and it's well located in the middle of the city. The manager was friendly and ever present at breakfast and the check out staff were helpful. Given this, I wouldn't normally complain about a hotel as I'm about to... However, it costs me £170 a night to stay here, and for that price I think it's fair to expect pretty high standards. I've certainly had many, much better experiences, for significantly less money, in quality business hotels just across the border in India.

So here's what I found at the Westin, Dhaka, that I didn't think was particularly fair given the price:
- a lobby which (for the whole week I stayed) stank of diesel fumes
- a power supply which, within two hours of checking in, had gone off 6 times (it got better through the week)
- slow and only intermittently available wifi Internet costing about £10 a day
- a bar which served two types of beer. The cheapest, a local undrinkable lager, for about £6 for a small can
- pretty average, but massively overpriced, in the main restaurant costing about £40 for the buffet
- surly waiting staff for dinner and breakfast
- stale pastries at breakfast (lots of comments about how good the breakfast was - yes, plenty of choice but nothing spectacularly nice)

Msybe there are no cheaper, better alternatives (I don't know) and the lack of competition gives the Westin a licence to charge what it likes. However, either this hotel is a massive rip off or the cost of running a hotel is much higher here than in other South Asian cities I've visited. If you do stay, eat outside (we found lots of much nicer restaurants nearby for literally 25% of the buffet price), don't drink and save yourself the £10 for the Internet (try and find a net-cafe elsewhere).

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Tpw101
Nazrul I, Manager at The Westin Dhaka, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings! I hope this reply finds you well.

Following your recent stay at the The Westin Dhaka, I wanted to take a minute and extend an electronic thank you for taking the time and effort to share your experience of staying with us.

We are very happy to see that you have appreciated our “posh, well appointed and clean” rooms. Your reference to our ever present Managers in our venues and friendly checkout associates will certainly inspire us to do more.

We, however, are disappointed to know that your experience was not of that similar positive nature in some other areas of our hotel. Nevertheless thank you for bringing those areas to our attention. We certainly will be working hard to bring positive changes into those areas where our deliveries fell short of your expectations.

Kind regards.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My favorite hotel in Dhaka, as stated in my title I miss my Star trek Slot machines and smoking cigars that make the Venetian so much fun, but found another entertaining way to spend my time while smoking a cigar without losing $800. Outside the Westin Hotel is a wealth of fun. On the street to the right of the Hotel there is a unlimited amount of homeless children who I played Frisbee, tossed an American football around and remembered to bring a Baseball bat and tennis balls, ( they weren't ready for real baseballs ), and had them saying "Cricket BHALO NAI, Baseball BHALO " GO Cardinals ". Obviously entertainment and location of hotel is great, I found the staff always very accommodating and always there to help me with all my wishes, I still go to Dhaka regularly to see my Bangladeshi wife, but being unemployed with savings running low, I have to stay in lousy hotels in Banani . Lucky for me, I still found homeless children to play with there, Imagine that!

If I could afford it I would stay at this hotel every time in Dhaka. " Big Mistake" taking my Rajbari wife to stay there, Now she always wants the Westin Dhaka Everytime, " Wait till she sees the Venetian in Las Vegas, she will say , " Look at me Ma, Top of the world " Until she is108 stories up at The Stratosphere and cries for her MOM....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Brian L
Nazrul I, Manager at The Westin Dhaka, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

We enjoyed your nice writeup on your Bangladesh experience, especially that of staying with us. It was good to see that you have appreciated the great location of our hotel and the magnificent service of our associates who are always ready to go some extra miles to assist you with any of your requirements.

Thank you for staying with us. We will be too happy to book your room in our hotel for your next trip to Dhaka.