“Perfect Hotel, Just Needs a Restaurant in it”

and 1 more site!
Contemporary Heights Hotel
Ranked #40 of 83 Hotels in Dhaka City
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed 8 days and it suited my needs almost perfectly. Very clean, and aesthetically much better than most hotels (as a designer I appreciate this). My room was very large, my bed was very comfy, the shower was fine (took a while for the water to get hot, but at least it did get hot -- two much more expensive hotels I stayed at in Dhaka never had better than warm water while I was there) nice refridgerator, awesome tv, decent internet -- sometimes slow but as good as anywhere else I used it. Staff couldn't have been sweeter or more attentive and very good at their jobs and it was quiet, not a ton of people running around.

The location might seem unsatisfactory if you're new to Dhaka and come here straight from the airport, but really - this is an awesome situation b/c it's in the diplomatic area where the embassies are so if there are any political strikes while you're in town (happened at least 3 times during my 3week stay) you won't have to stay in your hotel room, you can still get out and about. Just a short walk away is the best coffee shop in the city - North End Coffee. The Lonely Planet guidebook says Cafe Mango is the best but they need to update, it is a restaurant for one thing (not delicious I might add), the service there was terrible when I went, and it couldn't be better coffee than North End b/c North End roasts its own beans and makes its own cinnamon rolls, etc. but they're only a block away from each other so you can compare for yourself. A short walk in the opposite direction and gets you to Gulshan, the nicest part of Dhaka for restaurants and shopping. You will love being able to take advantage of this while paying half or a third as much for your nicer hotel room (than a room at the Westin in Gulshan for example). The pool is super clean and fantastic at Contemporary Heights. The only thing lacking is just not having a restaurant or cafe on hand and having to send for all these things without really knowing the quality of what you're going to get (I had good luck with everything I ordered except grocery items, got bigger quantities than needed and not the quality that I would have preferred but this may have been all that was available. still, if they had a restaurant/cafe you wouldn't have to send out for tea, coffee, crackers, fruit). But I will definitely stay again and I will definitely recommend it to friends. Oh, I also disagree with the reviews that say they charge a lot for going to get food for you. If it's in the immediate vicinity, they charge 20-30 tka, which is less than $0.50. they charge 40-50 tka (still less than one US dollar) for places a couple miles away and a little more for 5 miles or so. That's beyond reasonable if you ask me, especially considering the effort it takes to get anywhere in Dhaka. Basically I wouldn't stay here if I had kids because you need a lot of stuff from room service probably that you won't get here. but if you want a very comfortable, spacious clean room for a great price in a safe area, you really can't beat it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank Anna T
There are newer reviews for Contemporary Heights Hotel

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Room were ok, but lacks of everythung else. No restaurants or other facilities in the close streets. On the other side, hotel employee bring food to you if you ask them, or everything else, like changing money but the downgrade is that they make you pay a lot of money for this service.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank chp81
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Well first of all let me state that it is not a hotel but a so called serviced apartment where I have not get the service they have promised(stayed about 10 nights). The management is not professional at all. The location is awful for foreigners(relatively safe though) and the biggest handicap is there is no restaurant or any service so you even can not have a cup of coffee unless you wanna try the local hud right across the hotel. Be aware of stray dogs and unpaved roads infront. The rooms are big in zie with conmfy beds and a flat screen TV and A/C where the only good points are. However, the hotel itself lack facilities, it is dusty and dirty. The management relies on tipping to serve your seeks. I am sure for about the same price you may choose somewhere else. Forget about breakfast, the pool and gym that are advertised.

Room Tip: Room size are okay.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank okaloocha
Reviewed February 4, 2013

While the hotel itself is quite new and therefore the rooms look good, the location is terrible.
The hotel info is very misleading - first of all, it is not a hotel, it is a serviced apartments building. Second major misinformation is that the hotel is located in the "heart of Baridhara, secure diplomatic zone with the walking distance to restaurants, cafes, etc". In reality the hotel is located quite far from the claimed lace - it is in the halted (due to the crisis) construction zone - unpaved dusty streets full of stray dogs, construction workers, showering people, street performers, etc. we were told that this area was with the highest crime rate in Dhaka and when inquired about safety at the hotel, we were not advised to walk on our own outside of the hotel gate.
About the hotel itself - the grand suites we had was quite spacious and modern, the bathroom had a very modern look. The personnel was very friendly. But... the windows overlooked abandoned building populated by construction workers, there was no safe in the bedroom as promised, there was no hot water during our stay, the hi-pitch sound of water pump going off and on for 24 hours was hard to bear, it was complimented by sounds of honking cars and rickshaws, street performers, barking dogs, etc. In other words, very heavy noise pollution as windows were not soundproof at all.
We selected this hotel based on the reviews and it really bugs me how on earth someone could leave a top score review for this place.
Originally we planned to stay for a week, but after 2 sleepless nights, no hot water to take proper shower, we decided to move out.
We notified the hotel front desk that we will be moving out in the morning. The friendliness of the personnel evaporated in seconds, we were told that they will not unfreeze our deposit ( amount of one week stay) and refund the balance to our credit card. When we were leaving the hotel, the front desk person refused to acknowledge the fact that we checked out, or to follow normal check-out procedures. We were repeatedly told that we will not get back our deposit/payment for one week and few times reminded that they were not a hotel.

I would not recommend anyone who values comfort and safety to stay in this place.
For exactly the same price (even less as the breakfast was included) we found another hotel with similar rooms in Baridhara with all the positive sides and with almost no drawbacks.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Natalie V
Shahed M, General Manager at Contemporary Heights Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

We appreciate all reviews as they help us grow.
Regarding this particular review, we have the following clarifications to make.

Location: Hotel is located as described. Baridhara J block is extension of Diplomatic Zone. Located at the corner of US Embassy's annex building and 1 block away from Saudi Embassy's residence premises. All can be checked easily through google map.
None of our guests ever complained about safety and security about the area. Haven't had not a single incidence in last 2years of operation.

Complaint on hot water is not correct. As we have modern jaccuzi installed in suite room, this may have caused problem to this guest to operate our shower mixer properly that we could show if any complaint was ever received from her.

We expect if guests are not comfortable on anything to make a complaint to front desk to draw our attention. We could have easily changed her room to other floor on other side in quit area.
This guest simply ask for full refund and make her stay complementary. We charged them through Credit Card at the time of check-in. They pre-booked the stay for 1-week. It takes 72hours to get confirmation on card payment from the bank. Only complaint were made about street dog and construction noise. As per hotel refund policy, we can't make refund full amount and make their stay complementary based on complaints which are external.
When they expressed to check-out early, we offered them, complementary stay in their next visit. for the same duration. We are sorry to have one very unhappy client and hoping to have them with us once again to show better side of our hotel and facilities.
We leave it to readers to justify our rates $50 to $100 in comparison with other hotels in Dhaka city. Our hotel thrive to make positive changes and add more value added services to our guests. That's why many complimentary for their satisfaction.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed here for one night in January, 2013. Unbelievable (high) cost for a quite average hotel. I have to think that they are simply taking advantage of American government per diem rates. But, the reason I am really writing this review is out of anger of how the manager tried to profit of getting me a taxi to the airport. I had called down to the front desk and the young man quoted a reasonable price and specified the type of transport (there are taxis, and the little 3 wheelers). After manager saw me checking out, he offered to get me a taxi. The price he quoted was 3 times that of the front desk guy. I said I knew he was ripping me off, and he proceeded to tell me the front desk guy didn't know what he was talking about (even though the front desk guy had been working there over a year, was a native of Dhaka, and probably simply made the mistake of being honest). A big argument that spilled out into the street ensued and I eventually got my taxi at the fair rate, but that manager really spoiled Bangladesh for me.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank Sven J
Reviewed December 19, 2012

This hotel is located in the diplomatic area, close to many market stables and even en quiet road where even some fields are to be explored, all by walking a few minutes. The big road into Dhaka full of rickshaws and buses is also very close. People are extremely curious when meeting a foreigner as there are almost none, especially no tourists. Such a shame as these people are so extremely friendly. They are hard working, a country full of energy where even the homeless try to set up their own small business. The hotel is very clean compared to the dirt of the roads and the air outside. It even has a clean indoor pool to cool off in summer months. NOw, in December, people wear warm clothes and even earwarmers, where for me about 22 degrees Celsius was kind of warm... Rooms are clean, modern and all furniture has the design feel. There is a relax sofa, a desk with chair, a flatscreen TV with even many European channels, a nice bathroom, marble tiles, free bottle of water per day, free laundry, fruit basket when arriving, free and good wireless in the rooms. Staff are like all Bangladeshi People very helpful and try to speak as much as possible to you to approve their English skills.
But they never get sticky. Also no hassle when doing a trip or asking a favour, they will always be honest and ask a normal price or even do things for freee, you will get small presents in the street, just for free, to show them their friendship. Very extraordinary ! I made a trip to the boats at Shadargat and to the old town of Sonargaon, which was worth it but don't expect too much.
Rates are very good compared to other hotels with pool, they even have promotions for executive rooms at 50 USD per night ! I sincerely hope this country and especially their people will get a better future.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Lesley B
Reviewed December 6, 2012

After staying at a more expensive hotel for the first few nights in Dhaka, on our return to the city after a few nights in Cox's Bazar, myself and my 14yo son and his mate decided to stay here. It has been a g8 place to stay, as there is not much difference in location, in Dhaka every part of the city is the same to me. Great staff, very spacious rooms, very clean, and has side stores outside of hotel that provide most things that one needs. There is no food available on-site but the staff can arrange food from outside hotel to be brought to the hotel. Loved Bangladesh and really liked the hotel. The pool is not too big but my son and his mate found it adaquate for them. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Always agree on a price before getting on the rickshaws outside of hotel, or any hotel for that matt...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family