“Excellent mid-range Hotel, Recommended!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tropical Daisy

Ranked #5 of 68 Dhaka City B&B and Inns
“Excellent mid-range Hotel, Recommended!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

Location of thw hotel is excellent, its located near banani-gulshan lake bridge. Nice room, though every room is different, the room i stayed in had a wonderful ambient, nice clean toilet, though the lcd tv missing n was replaced with a normal tv. Didnt matter much to me but the big tv was looking ugly n out of place. Overall the room was pretty clean.
Service was very good n timely. Breakfast was decent. One complain i have was that i had to pay an extra $10 for car parking. Room charge was $60. So overall great value for money, especially given the fact that is difficult to find a decent hotel in dhaka in this price range.
Overall, recommended.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank PriamHasnat
t_daisy, Owner at Tropical Daisy, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your kind words and we are grateful that you have shed light on your problems with the stay. The room that you were staying in has now been taken out of order until we have replaced the TV with the original LCD TV. Hope your future stays in our hotel would be more enjoyable.

Sincerely Yours
Tropical Daisy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Turkish first
Stalybridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Having read the reviews on trip advisor, this seemed a good choice to stay, what a shame I didn't read the reviews warning of the problems of this place. The service was very poor. It took an hour for breakfast to arrive plus numerous phone call reminders for anything you ordered for the room. They wanted $60 a night dispite the fact you can book it online for $40, once booked online, I was given a small room, I asked for non smoking which they took no notice off, the room had two TV's,which were both broken and the second one completely blocked the passage way in the room to get to the other side. I asked for a car to the airport on arrival and was told I had to ask them the night before, the day before I was due to leave, I asked them about getting a car and said i need to be at the airport at 8am I was told I'd have to leave at 6am because someone had now already booked the hotel car at 7:30am. This place is fine to stay at if you don't need to staff for anything and you are just looking for a safe place to rest your head for the night. But I think you can find better hotels within the area at the same price. Disappointing.

• Stayed July 2012
t_daisy, Owner at Tropical Daisy, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Sir,

We are very sorry to hear of your bad experience during your stay with our Hotel. The Hotel was going through a major administrative re-shuffle during the month of your stay and we had two such very unfortunate incidents of Bad room allocation, which is totally our Fault. However, we have been able to amend the mistakes and would definitely love to have you at our hotel again for a second review.

Travelers are raving about these Dhaka City hotels

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

I saw the reviews and surprised to see some of the poor feedback as my experience was good.

I stayed twice. The first was hard going when it came to ordering a car and the driver turned up late. However when the owner found out, he immediately rectified it.

My stay was really good in that the room was very clean and staff helpful. They fall over trying to help (although you may find it takes a while and they are not understanding your request as well).

However, this is Bangladesh and even the service I have gotten at five stars has been questionable. So I thought Tropical Daisy did great.

The room was lovely and the owner even took be up to show me the roof garden (breathtaking views fo Dhaka skyline).

The point is you can avoid unhappy experience (once I learnt) by making sure you make clear what you want, when and how.

Food is catered for travellers (so not great) but there is Sat TV.

Its location is very handy as it is in Gulshan.

Rather difficult to catch a rickshaw at peak times.

Room Tip: See the room before you take your bags up. Brief in advance for anything you need.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank YxYxYx
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

Long time user of tripadvisor, but first time i've been moved to post a review, as I felt it was necessary to warn everyone to stay away from this place

Booked for 3 nights for a long weekend away, and we left after one night, and quite frankly, had we not arrived very late at night on the first night, we'd never have stayed for even that long...

First impressions of the room were it was nothing like the photos - our room, and especially the bathroom, clearly hadnt been renovated in 20 years - so if you're hoping the photos on this site are representative of what you'll find, think again.

Cleanliness was clearly a major issue from the minute we arrived: the tiled floor was dirty, there was cockroaches throughout the apartment, the bathroom was filthy, and the bed sheets & pillowcases were more grey than white, covered in stains, and clearly hadnt been changed anytime recently.

When we complained the following day, and asked to speak to the manager, we were told he was on his day off, and couldnt be contacted - at which point we decided enough was enough and decided to cut short our stay

Then, to add insult to injury, when we asked the hotel to book us a taxi to take us to the airport, we were told that they couldnt do that - and that we had to use the hotel car, which was at least double the cost of a taxi, although they did offer to discount the cost of the car for a favourable review on Tripadvisor...

it seems to me that our experience was very much reminiscent of that detailed by edinburghdude. In short, find somewhere else to stay, anywhere has to be better than this

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Martin W
t_daisy, Owner at Tropical Daisy, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Sir,

I am really sorry to hear the kind of treatment you received at our Hotel. I can assure you that recently, we have made it a point to do the following:-

1. We shall always ask the guests how their room is or if it is to their liking at least twice within the first day of stay. Once 10 minutes after check-in and once in the first day of stay.

2. We no longer try to push-sell our hotel car facilities, though we are still offering the same price and facility as before for the Hotel Car. We do understand that the cost of travel with the Hotel car is more than that of outside CNG/three wheelers, but it is a cost that is just covering our own expenses. We however, do let the guests know of the price difference.

I would not say that I understand fully how you had felt during your stay, but I have tried my level best to understand the feeling and am deeply sorry that such an occurrence happened to you specially at the Tropical Daisy.

Humbly Yours
Manager
Public Relations
Dhaka, null, Bangladesh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

This hotel is really a nice one.
1. Reception lounge is very very nice.
2. Reception desk is really helpful
3. Rooms are very clean(I have stayed in 3 rooms already)
4. Foods are good but expensive.
5. Stuffs are really nice.
6. Bathrooms are modern with bathtub facility
7. So much secure, you can go with your girlfriend. No problem.

Room Tip: First become a facebook fan of them. Then give a massage on facebook for booking. I think you will g...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
58 Thank Shuvo H
Ballinrobe, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

Considering that it is quite difficult to get a good quality hotel at affordable cos in Dhakat, the "Tropical Daisy" is a little gem. Located at the Banani Bridge in Gulshan-2 the building overlooks a small lake. The front street along the lake can be a little loud at times but as it is a one-way street its not too bad. If you value tranquility, get a room away from the front.
The hotel comprises serviced appartments, however, most rooms are let individually. If you rfeally want a serviced appartment, you will get two bedrooms, a central sitting area and an open kitchenette with fridge and microwave. However, be aware that the kitchen does not contain anything in terms of crockery, cutlery or pots/pans.
Each room has an en suite basic bathroom (bathtub, shower and European style toilet). Bathrooms are tiled, shower curtains are ok, there is hot and cold water with good pressure and the bathroom in general and all fixtures are basically clean. It sure isn't a 5 star hotel but considering the location and country it is a very good standard.
The rooms are rather quaint, all are decorated differently. I stayed here twice in two different rooms: In one room I enjoyed a small walk-in wardrobe - quite handy and spacious with loads of storage space. The bed was the best: Above the bed a wooden canopy, lots of small starry lights and an excentric blue and red lightshow UNDER the bed :). In the second room, there was a large wardrobe and a small balcony (far too warm outside to enjoy it) and the bed was placed on a rather palatial raised platform. All rooms have a small writing desk, plenty of multiple sockets (UK, US and EU sockets). Best of all is the FREE INTERNET ! Atg times a bit slow but great to have unlimited free web access - at times even fast enough for Skype.
All rooms have excellent A/C making the 38-43° C outside very tolerable inside the room. The beds are absolutely brilliant. Firm, yet very comfortable.
The staff in the entire hotel are exceptionally friendly and accommodating, trying their VERY best to help and accommodate guests wishes. Starting with the welcome drink, to the reception, to the room service, to the cleanersw - brilliant staff.
If you need to eat here, its quite ok for a few days. Food tastes good, nicely spiced. Unfortunately, the menu is extremely scarce with a choice of 8 dishes on the main menu and a limited variety of hot and cold snacks. Room service is a bit slow but again, very friendly and basically ok if you don't depend on speed. All rooms congtain a well-stocks minibar with soft drinks and chocolate/nuts, and in the hotel lobby there is an additional cooled fridge with drinks and snacks.
In the same block, behind the hotel, about 5 minutes on foot you can find an excellent Japanese restaurant (very good quality sushi and sashimi), unfortunately its rather small and smoking is allowed :(. Close by, also 5 minutes on foot is another restaurant with very good and tasty Thai, Asian, Indian and European food and enormous helpings :)
Hope this helps when chosing a nice place in Dhaka :) Enjoy your stay,

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the front street as this can get a little loud during the day and late a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Gert V
edinburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

I'm finding it hard to believe this is the same hotel that others have reviewed so favourably on this site. The photos on this site provided by management bear little resemblance to the actual hotel.

A (male) friend and I booked a twin room for the first 2 nights of our holiday in Bangladesh for which we paid 90 USD/night. We arrived at the hotel to be greeted(?) by a very grumpy man who I presumed to be the onwer or manager. We were shown to a tiny room which only had a double bed. We pointed out that this was unacceptable and that we had specified at the time of booking that we wanted a twin room. We were told that the hotel was full and that no twin rooms were available. We argued that in that case we should receive a refund. Suddenly a vacant twin room was found which we accepted. I think we saw one other guest in the time we spent at this hotel.

The room was of a decent size with an adjoining living room which we only used for breakfast. The bathroom was pretty dirty with a unsightly stain in the tub. There were a lot of mosquitos about, but no nets were provided - luckily we had our own. I think you'd be mad to sleep here without a net.

The hotel is also very close to a mosque. I'd advise sleeping with ear plugs unless you need to catch an early flight/train and need waking up at 5am.

Breakfast was very basic, but enough to get you going. Most of the staff were pleasant enough apart from the owner/manager. I expect a bit more courtesy from someone who's taking my money.

We had to spend another 2 nights in Dhaka during the holiday. We chose to stay elsewhere. You can do much better for your money without looking too hard.

Would only stay here again if I couldn't find anywhere else.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends