The Aristocrat is a good choice for travellers seeking an affordable hotel with great service. First, the hotel is located near the airport. This is important because Dhaka has terrible traffic and traffic jams are common. When traffic is good, the hotel is only 10 minutes from the airport. At other times, you should allow 20 or 30 minutes for transport to and from the airport. I arrived in Dhaka after 1 in the morning, so traffic was good. I was met at the airport by a member of the Aristocrat Inn's staff and driven to the hotel. This service was free of charge. In the past the hotel staff would actually meet guests inside the airport and shepherd them through immigration as well. Unfortunately they are no longer allowed to do this because of government concerns regarding the H1N1 flu virus. Not a problem because going through immigration was a breeze.
The hotel is in the Gulshan area of Dhaka, home to Dhaka's elite and location of many embassies. This means that the area is relatively safe, and quite central. You can get to most places of interest fairly easily. On the other hand, there aren't many resturants and shops in the area. You're basically limited to the hotel's restaurant, which is fine but you'll find much better fare elsewhere in Dhaka. Breakfast is served starting at 6:30 am. It's basic, an egg with dry toast, a banana, and tea or coffee. The coffee is instant coffee.
The standard room is a comfortable size. The bathroom is ensuite. The water is hot. The bed is firm, but not hard. There is a great air conditioner and a fan. You'll stay cool. The room has a t.v. with BBC World. There may be a few more channels available in English, but I just watched BBC. The room also has an internet connection, but it's not high speed. Still, it's OK. The room also has a fridge stocked with lots of bottled water, but no alchohol. Not a problem. A quiet word at the desk, or a quick phone call and you can get a beer. All they served when I was there was Heineken. The beers were 200 taka each, about US$3.
Finally, just a quick reminder that Bangladesh is a developing country, with all the sights, sounds, and smells of a developing country. The Aristocrat is a good hotel in the elite district of Dhaka City, but you must remember that it is the elite district of a city in a developing country. Don't expect to see limos parked on pristine streets, or municipal sculptures by famous European artists. Having said that, Bangladeshis are generous far surpassing their means and their hospitality is humbling. The staff at the Aristocrat Inn are a fine example of this.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel is ideally located in the heart of Diplomatic Zone of Gulshan-2 beside American Club. It is only a 10-minute drive from the International Airport. It delivers exclusive modern facilities with a dynamic and luxurious comfort and care. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Aristocrat Inn Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aristocrat Hotel Dhaka City
- Aristocrat Inn Hotel Dhaka Division, Bangladesh