“Great refuge in Dhaka”

Ranked #12 of 81 Hotels in Dhaka City
Bangkok
“Great refuge in Dhaka”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed here for a week in March 2013. I really appreciate the very high level of service and professionalism - I've stayed in a couple of other places in Dhaka, and the Royal Park was just what I needed during a particularly frustrating business trip (hartals for 4 out of the 6 days I was there). The staff could not have been more accommodating, they gave me a large room that was perfect for working; and I was so relieved to be in a place where everything not only worked, it was actually good quality and well maintained - this visit was at the end of an extend trip also in Africa so I really needed a little luxury. The food is outstanding, and the business services great.

The pool looks wonderful but was quite cool and not terribly useful - have to access it via the lobby and I felt a bit shy about walking through in my dressing gown...There is a lovely rooftop deck, and I would rather see a pool up there I think: warmer and more private.

As with all of Dhaka there is noise from construction, but the Royal Park's windows close and there is double glazing so the sound is much reduced; and when the last surrounding building is finished I imagine it will be very quiet.

This was a real 'oasis' for me and I am delighted to recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank anner58

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have grown weary of paying exorbitant rates for everything at the Westin and decided to try an alternative, The Royal Park was fine - friendly, courteous staff, free shuttle service to the airport, good restaurant, wifi and a quiet location. The rooms seem to vary in size - my first was larger but had no natural light at all (the window seemed to be faced with a brick wall); the alternative was smaller and faced the street (which was fine - not noisy at all). My only request of this hotel would be to lift the carpets in the bedrooms and replace them with wood or tile. Those in my room were old, tired and well used. Sadly, the Royal Park failed my "bare foot" test -why do so many mid-priced hotels in the tropics insist on carpet, when tile or wood are such a better choice? Apart from that, I have no reservations in recommending this hotel as a safe, comfortable choice in Dhaka.

Room Tip: Ask if your room has natural light, before accepting it.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank rothar-gorm
melbourne, australia
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed here for a week while on a work trip and was really pleasantly surprised by the experience. Offered everything I needed - excellent (i mean, seriously excellent) food, excellent coffee (a big surprise, even the espressos were top notch), a small gym for getting some exercise (vital in Dhaka, especially with strikes meaning i was confined to the hotel), competent staff, a reasonable neighbouhood (no protests during the strikes in my vicinity was a onus), comfortable rooms (if not overly well lit or new). The swimming pool would be handy for some, though I didn't take advantage of it.

Downsides during my stay - i found one of the front desk staff really rude. I don't know his name, unfortunately. On two occasions I'm quite certain he was laughing about something i'd said to his colleagues, and on another he basically refused to serve me as i waited there obviously in need of some assistance. The other staff were all fine. There was also construction going on at all hours of the day (well, from 6.30am until late at night) in the building next door right outside my window - not the hotel's fault, and not a dealbreaker, but a bit annoying.

All in all - I'll be staying here whenever in Dhaka.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank samb1981
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Clean, comfortable & friendly staff, I recommend this hotel in Dhaka. Compared to the bigger hotels, excellent value for money especially for longer stays. My room was relatively quiet, bed was comfortable & I agree with other reviewer, showers not the most powerful, however it was hot. Food is good value & not too expensive. I would definitely stay here again on my future trips.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Juliana Y
Saxmundham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here twice now, mainly because it's close to my office in Banani. Ignore the speil on the website about it being just 15 mins from the airport. It usually takes around 60 to 90 minutes due to the traffic.

The rooms are small, with single beds or twins. They're clean and the bed is reasonably comfortable. The shower is hot if not very powerful. The main problem here is noise from the air con exrractors on the exterior of the sides of the hotel. They're big and noisy, to the extent that a pile of coins on my desk was toppled with the vibrations. I tried to change my room but was told the hotel was full, although it clearly wasn't. This hotel is much cheaper than the nearby Sarina and Westin. Actually the Sarina is no better than Royal Park. The Westin is more comfortable but pricey for a long stay.

Don't forget to add about 20% to the room price for tax and service charge (even though room service also includes an addditional service charge).

The breakfast and food in the restaurant is good.

The lobby area would be vastly improved if they turned on the air con and stopped people smoking. It's such a confined area, if you don't want to smell of other people's smoke there's nowhere to go.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Romablade
Dhaka
Reviewed January 22, 2013

clean, comfortable, hotel with helpful and knowledgeable staff. The food is good, the SriLankan fare is absolutely awesome. The only flip side to the hotel is that its on a really quiet road, and away from shopping and business districts.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road are the most spacious!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Garima_Dhaka
Saxmundham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We had to stay here for just one night when our guide advised us that local strikes and rallies would make getting from where we were staying to our meetings and offices dangerous. This hotel was just round the corner from our office in Banani and was the only place that had rooms available in the area (Banani and nearby Gulshan are two of the most popular business zones).

First impressions were that the hotel was clean and modern, tastefully decorated. The bell boy took our bags up to our rooms which were small but comfortable. The shower wasn't very powerful but at least the water was hot and it ran over the bath with an adequate curtain so no drenched bathroom floors. There's a large screen TV with all the usual international channels such as BBC World, CNN and several international entertainment programmes, including ESPN for Premier League football.

The bed was comfortable, but there was a problem with mosquitos in my room even though it was December... A mossie plug in device is provided and refils are available from reception. But, hey, you're in the tropics - mosquitos are all over the place...

Dinner was nice and not too expensive, so was breakfast with fresh cooked omelettes and a selection of pastries and fruits available.

Didn't get chance to use the pool but looked tempting for a quick dip.

There's wifi throughout the building, including in the rooms and it's free and the signal strength and speed seemed to be OK most of the time. We will use this hotel next time as it's so close to the office. It is a small hotel though, so don't expect the hustle and bustle or facilities of the big ones like the Westin, Sonergoan or Radisson. On the other hand, this was less than $120 for a night, dinner and breakfast which would have been closer to $200 at the others.

Room Tip: Ensure you keep the windows closed to keep the mossies out.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business