“Worth a visit. A nice place for a walk”
Review of Fountain Square

Ranked #7 of 120 things to do in Baku
TN
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Worth a visit. A nice place for a walk”
Reviewed November 8, 2011

A very nice park along the waterfront on the Caspian Sea.
A pleasant walk and a place to stop and have a cold drink and watch the locals and tourists. About the most interesting thing to do in Baku.

Visited October 2011

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Beautifully renewed park”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This is a great place to walk. Safe to bring children for rollerblading on the smooth tile. Safe to walk day and night. Lots of people out and about.

Al Ain
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“my impressions”
Reviewed May 23, 2008

Baku: I worked there for two summers in 1998 and 2000. It was a safe place. Fountain Sq was a very theatrical place to have a beer. A lot of Azeri women in revealing clothing were walking about looking for a western guy, any western guy to befriend them. One note of caution: I found on more than one occasion while sitting with groups of westerners when we came to pay the bill, we were also billed for Azeris who sat with us and drank beer. It was very hard to get the Azeris to pay up. It appeared they expected us to pay even if we weren't friends or anything. I got a bit tired of being taken for granted. I never had as many women's eyes on me as I had in Baku. I think they saw me as some kind of walking passport out of there for them. I didn't find it flattering at all.
I wouldn't say there was a whole lot to do there but perhaps it's changed a bit since then. There was the Caspian of course, the beaches but the weather was sticky. Getting out to the Caucasus area meant taking a driver. Taking a driver who was polite, interested and good company was another challenge!

8 Thank TappyAlAin
UK based
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Go for the people watching”
Reviewed December 3, 2007

The square is the heart of the pedestrian part of the town, with lots of new expensive western designer shops dotted among the older Azeri markets and small boutiques. The locals throng the square at weekends as a popular venue is now on the corner of the square, Mc Donalds has set up shop in Baku and was doing a roaring trade with the young hip crowd. There are restaurants and eating places for every budget within a few hundred meters of the main square and bars and clubs too.
It is a safe area to walk around with the proviso of any new place keep to the main streets and don't draw attention to yourself.
I would recomend Baku for a short break in the summer months when the weather is much better. The nearby Beach area has fun fair rides and a pleasant walk. Hotels range from very high quality to budget accomodation but personally I would steer clear of the low cost rooms. Baku is a city that is developing all the time some expect lots of traffic and construction activity.

9 Thank Bakuvisitor