“Good location badexperience”

Ranked #44 of 114 Hotels in Baku
Holon, Israel
“Good location badexperience”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Arrived to the hotel in early November 2013 for 1 night on business purposes.
I arrived at 2 AM and the hotel seemed deserted.
The entrance to the hotel is rather hidden after some stairs so if you are carrying heavy luggage you would find it challenging.
The lobby smelled as if people were just smoking in there. (But I realized that this is rather common in Baku).
The hotel is rather new and not many taxi drivers are familiar with it (be careful not to get mixed up with the "Grand hotel Europa")
Tap water in the hotel is not suitable for drinking (according to the hotel flyer) but no mineral water were provided in the room as might be expected.
Breakfast was generous but generally in rather poor taste (but it is subjective)
Staff is very nice and helpful and the location is 10 min walk from the old city.
The view from my room was to the rear of the hotel at the roofs of shabby houses and was not worth even a glance
Overall I would have rated it 3 out of 5 but the thing that killed the rating were the lack of hot water in the shower!
I would have given it 1.5 but changed it to 2 just on the hope that this was a singular event.
regardless I would never set foot in the hotel again.

Room Tip: A room facing the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ori D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I stayed five nights in this amazing hotel. And it was my first travel to Baku. The view from my room fascinated me... Also during day light too... The hotel stuff are so nice and especially I should add, they all have a smiling face,... Whenever I travel to Baku, this will be the place where I want to stay again. The place of the hotel is so nice too, especially to walk through the Fuzuli Park how peaceful... during day and night... and the center of the city and shopping centers,...etc. it is so close, even by walking you can reach everwhere... Sea side of the Caspian Sea too... I really enjoyed being in this city and in this Hotel. I can never forget.

Room Tip: I stayed number 209 and it was amazing... Has a wonderful view... especially during dawn time and du...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Good location 15 min walk to old town. The square outside provides a good insight in to Azeri life.
Room was spaciuos and equipped with the most silent aircon ever encountered. Bathrom amenities were not replenished. Staff is a bit slow. According to the website the hotel is equippped with a gym - this is not the case. Breakfast is indeed very meager.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank MarieMalmo
ZSK06, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments.
We do not have any website at the moment as it is still under construction,so we could not mention that we have Gym at our hotel.
As i have already known that online reservation channels could not mention it too but i am going to check it from them too.
We are getting very good comments for our ala-carte menu and open buffet breakfast,but as you know it is very diffucult to make everybody happy but believe me,we are doing and we are going to do.Please feel free to order your wishes at the breakfast if we are lucky to serve you again..
I am looking forward to see you at our hotel on your next trip.

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed May 20, 2013

this hotel renewed recently. they have enormous rooms. All rooms are clear and stuff are very helpful. Only disadvantage is stairs in front of the hotel. it is hard to climb stairs with luggage for this hotel. Hotel location is very close to city center. it takes 10-15 minutes to walk to old city via nice shopping street.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Atilla2
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice review.We are very glad to see you at our Hotel at your next trip.
And you are going to have %5 discount for your next stay.

Glyfada, Greece
Reviewed May 15, 2013

The location of the hotel is central, overlooking a city-park. The facilities were great but you have to be aware for some of the staff.
They do not reply to any e-mail that I send to them, even though they had reserve a parking for the car. Their excuse was that May 10 was holiday …..
They tried to change my reservation to a higher priced one, because I wanted 2 twin beds. Of course I refused and got 1 double bed.
I wanted to pay a deposit and he got the money without giving me a receipt, when I wanted my money back I got a receipt.
They tried to charge me refreshment from the minibar, I refused it.
The hotel/transfer to the airport is 40 azm when you can arrange a taxi with 20 azm
Our room 205 did not have a good WIFI, I had to go to corridor for getting great signal.
Breakfast was very good and plentiful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank magistros
Dear Guest,

We do not have any twin room at our hotel,all of our rooms have one king size bed and at ll online reservation sites we mention this room style.So it is not possible to make reservation as TWIN BED,there must be a misunderstanding on this,in order not to make you discomfort our reception could advise you to buy another room for the second person with a discounted price.But you understand this wrong and think that we would like to get some more money from you! First of all all of our staff has trained for guest satisfaction and as a general manager i know that they are doing their job.Nobody in this hotel try to charge a little bit more from the guest ,like;writting some refreshments from the minibar,We prefer to gain the guest's satisfaction than couple of dollars (refresments: 3 azn/each).
We have special airport transfer with a PRIVATE car ,it means that we quarantee your loss of personal materials if you forget them in the car.Our driver is your PRIVATE driver for the transfer.And the charge of this service is of course 40AZN,we are also explaining to our guests that if they get a city cab,they can go 20-25 AZN to airport,so it is upto our quests 'needs.
Our WIFI system covers all hotel and it if free,Not looking that it is free it's speed is very high too,but we are respecting your review that there could be a temporary problem frm the service provider,we are sorry for that.
Thank you very much for enjoying at our breakfast.
We are looking forward to see you in our hotel again,and i am going to take care about you personally.Regards
Ireland
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

It is so nice to be able to write a positive review of a small hotel in Baku. This one gets everything just about right. Spacious and well equipped rooms, good services, pleasant and attentive staff and a good location within a short stroll of the Old City and Fountain Square.
Nice restaurant with a terrace overlooking Fusuli Square.
Another good feature is that every taxi driver knows the location.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Gerry96
Dear Guest,

And you are going to have %5 discount for your next stay.

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed April 29, 2013

As a business traveler the first thing you expect is a well deserved and quiet sleep. Difficult to do when you hear conversations and television from your neightbour room. Rooms, despite comfortable, are extremely badly insolated. Quality room, clean, friendly staff, good dinner food ... but little details that you cannot accept, for a 4 star hotel, again as a business traveler without a lot of time and energy available to solve. Some example: no cash at reception (so cannot make change to taxi driver, get you the change when paying for a service, ...); english level of staff in general is low (call from your room to reception ... you have to go down because they don't understand your point); ask your business visitor, in front of you, his ID ...; no glass in bathroom for your toothbreath; nowhere to hang your towel (shower); ...
But again, nice hotel, conveniently located, friendly staff willing to help, confortable rooms, ...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Pat042
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying at our hotel.I would like to give information to you and to our future guests as this kind of reviews are important for our future plans.
First of all,we are getting IDs from the visitors of our Guests while we are letting them to go to our Guests'room as it is a regulation and a security item that we are using in our hotel. We must think of our Guests' secure stay,everybody could not be a business visitor.
Second of all,our rooms have standard amenities,refreshments and items.Among them we have glass for TOOTHBRUSH,gillette and etc.But if you mentioned like that,it could be forgotten by our housekeeper,you can easily call the reception from your room and want a glass,as our receptionists know Azeri,Russian,Turkish and English( one of them is an English teacher).We could not except the comment about the hanger as we have hangers at each bathroom where it was mounted to the wall and fixed at the towel shelves.
Finally i would like to tell that your commnets are very important for us because of that i am very glad to see your honest reviews.If you choose our hotel at your next trip,i am going to serve to you personally.Regards