“Nice hotel, but...... details need better finish!”

QafqaZ Baku City Hotel & Residences
Ranked #12 of 114 Hotels in Baku
Nyborg, Denmark
“Nice hotel, but...... details need better finish!”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I've stayed at the hotel for 2 weeks, business reasons.
Had one of the smaller rooms, with "no view" i would it!! It has a nice size bathroom, not much to complain about or brag about for that matter.
The room was small, not even room for a normal chair, only a square puff thing (sorry, not sure what they are called!) that was under the counter. The bed okay, nice and big enough. But I can see that putting in a normal chair, the would have to make the room bigger. It comes with a 28-30'' flatscreen - mostly lokal channels and a few english/german ones.

The hotel, I think was rather new, maybe open 4-6 month when i stayed there in Nov. 2012.

The Food:
Breakfast buffe, nothing to excitet about! I ate there 2 times and was not overly happy with food, but the had a bit of everything. But not worthy of a 4 star hotel.
Room service menu - came to know that one very well, I can say. Again, not the best food in town, but i did like the cesar salad with chicken, aldo the still have some work to do in that part. One thing I would avoid, is ordering when the hotel is hosting a banquet or reunion at night - the food I got turned out sloopy....sorry. What can I say, the burgers should have been more chrisp and the pasta dishes should have been "bigger" - 14 Euro for 4 tabel spoons of pasta/ravioli is just not right!!

Staf:
Most of them I would say was friendly, helpfull and with a bit of practice, the will become great.
But I still had a few "bumps" in the road. More than one time, I had to come down because my key was not working, when ordering room service, the came with a small table and I said 4 times "come back in 1 hour and the table will be outside the door" - but next morning table still outside my door. I told them when ordering the food (room service), in person at the 18'th floor - then on the 5 evening the complainet to me about the table "we need table back" - well, you can come pick it up after 1 hour..... this time it seemed to work.
When calling in a order for room service, I would say ceasar salad and city burger, room 00 thank you sir, the repited the order - Done. Hang up the phone, 2 min after some lame guy would call me again...."arhh...sir, you orderet this and this??" Yes...that was me calling and yes I did order it, now why are you calling me again??? Be patience, cause english is NOT there best.

Small bonus info: Always take the "london taxi" outside, but the will try to hostle you if the can. One evening I was sick, ask the guy infront of the hotel, to ask the taxi driver wher the nearest farmaci/drugstore was. I said, I need to go there, the taxi should wait and bring me back to hotel. The driver said "10 manat" (10 euro), I said are you ####### crazy?? and stormed into the hotel. It should onlye be around 3-5 manat. A trip downtown cost around 6 manat and would take 10-15 min. So the drive was charging me extra.
I later found out that just 150 m to the right (same side as hotel) there is a small drugstore, but the hotel staff did not know that. Beside the drugstore (200 m from hotel) there is small supermarket, cheaper than getting everything on room service.
To the left side of the hotel, the hay a small (15 m2) shop that sells beer/alcohol/soda, but think the supermarket is cheaper.

Okay, bad things asi..... I would properly go there again and think it's still a nice place. But I dont know what the price is, since i did not pay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Ali A, Guest Relations Manager at QafqaZ Baku City Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, July 24, 2015
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing feedback to us on Tripadvisor regarding your stay in our hotel.We appreciate that. We are sorry to hear about the inconveniences you have experienced in our hotel.
We will for sure work on this issue to avoid this in the future.Feel free to contact me personally to discuss the issues you described above. I can be reached on +994 124043160.
Please accept my apology and feel free to contact me.

Qafqaz Baku City Hotel & Residences.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Turkish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed here for one night in November and all I can say that the hotel was fine. The staff were friendly and the food and service in the lobby bar was fine, although it took a while for my drink to be delivered.
The rooms were good, comfortable with all the amenities and the breakfast was fairly good.
I would stay here again despite the fact it wasn't in the heart of the city centre.
The room cost 130 MZN so an ok price considering most hotels are expensive in Baku

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We want to express our gratitude to you writing a review on Tripadvisor.
We are very pleased that you had both positive and enjoyable experience while staying in our hotel.
Our main goal is making your stay comfortable and all the reviews provided to us help us achieve it.

Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel with a clean aspect. Free wifi. Minibar is missing in the rooms. Common spaces have a strange floor plan. A little bit off the bulvar part of the city especially because of the heavy traffic. Good value for your money.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ali A, Guest Relations Manager at QafqaZ Baku City Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, August 2, 2015
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our gratitude to you for writing a review on Tripadvisor. Such reviews are really important for us since they contribute to making our hotel a better place to stay.
Based on your review the management of the hotel has analyzed the minibar issue and we would like to assure you that all the rooms have been provided with a minibar.
If you have any other suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact us by calling +994 124043160.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel!
Edmonton
Reviewed August 28, 2012

If your travels take you to the centre business district of baku, this is a great place to stay. Brand new property. Regular rooms on the small side but superior and up are fine. In the regular room couldn't even fit the desk chair between the bed and the desk. Bathrooms are spacious. There are a number of restaurants but my favourite was the terrace on the 18th floor to just watch the world go by. There was no requirement to order, so often times I just sat.
Service throughout was attentive. Food was excellent. Hotel has wi-fi although if the hotel is busy, connecting can be an issue. Close to a nice supermarket. Nice work out facility but unfortunately no pool. Also close to Haydar Aliyev sports centre. Traffic noise can be heard in rooms facing front of hotel.
10 minute cab ride to old town or shopping

Room Tip: Superior room is better. Rooms that end 14 are nice rooms with good view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CanadaSportsDoc
Ali A, Guest Relations Manager at QafqaZ Baku City Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, August 3, 2015
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for review which you provided.
Your opinion is very important for us because it helps us improve our service and make our hotel a better place to stay.
We are very pleased that you enjoy our beautiful open-air with a nice panoramic view.
Since our hotel is situated in the business area of the city there is some noise coming from outside.
Please feel free to contact us by calling at +994 124043160 for any requests or future bookings.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again to our hotel!

Bangkok
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for eight nights in July 2012. It is brand new - so new in fact that the carpets still smelt, well, new. It had been open for six weeks or two months, depending on what member of staff I spoke with.
My room was very spacious indeed and the bed was comfortable enough without being special. Some might find it a little on the hard side. The bathroom has a walk-in shower. The hotel has a luxurious look about it, but there were some downsides.
The fridge in my room clearly had a defect. It was warm inside and the cupboard containing it was very hot, almost dangerously so in my opinion. It took me six days to get it fixed after I was told it was 'normal'. In the absence of cold drinks in the fridge I ordered ice. On one occasion it took 25 minutes to arrive, on another it took 40 minutes. On the latter occasion I tried to hurry it up by calling reception and the staff member I spoke to snapped, "It's coming" and hung up the phone. When I called back he lied that the phone was broken.
There is an in-room safe, but no instructions on how to set it. I tried the usual way and it failed and when I called reception I was told to key in 0000. That, it seems, is the only code that can be used so it is hardly secure.
Communication can be difficult in the breakfast restaurant if you do not speak Russian. I ordered a plain omelette every day, just eggs, and three times it was delivered with cheese including twice on one day. The breakfast though is quite varied and the staff are generally attentive. The same applies to the restaurant on the top floor.
There are plenty of lifts but they are small and although they say they are for up to six, more than two people with luggage would be a squeeze. Luggage, though, is delivered to your room probably via the much larger service lifts.
There is free wifi in the rooms, and it is excellent, and a comfortable lobby lounge/bar. And 100 metres away is a decent supermarket.
This is a good hotel which would be better with a bit more staff training. I'd be happy to stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Barry Wood
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our gratitude to you for writing a review on Tripadvisor.The hotel management team will take your review seriously as they do with the other reviews and take appropriate actions to make sure our guests do not experience difficulties when they stay in our hotel.
We will definitely see which dimensions of our services lack quality and professionalism and work toward improving them.
This is very important for us because we are keen on improving our service on a constant basis.
We hope to welcome you back to our hotel and make you enjoy your stay!
Should you have any questions or suggestions,please feel free to contact us by calling on +994 124043160.
Please accept our apology and let us know if we can do something for you.

mıamı
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I checked in early afternoon.Front Desk staff being very friedly.My room had a nice view.House keeping cleaned my room every day and was great.At the restaurant Mr.Behruz take care of me and he did a great job.Food quality and taste was great too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank benahem
Dear Guest,

The hotel management team would like to thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.We are very pleased to receive such a nice review about our hotel.
Our paramount goal is making your stay comfortable and we really feel great when we achieve this high priority goal.
You can easily reach us for questions,suggestions and also objections by calling on +994 124043160.