“Terrible”
Review of Grand Hotel Europe

Grand Hotel Europe
Ranked #24 of 116 Hotels in Baku
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Arrived on Sunday night and the air conditioning wasn't working properly. Was assured this would be fixed the next day but by Thursday morning I'd had enough and checked out. The food at breakfast time was a joke, hotdog sausages and cold scrambled egss do nothing for me, neither does nuttely filled bread rolls!!
Wont be back in a hurry!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed May 13, 2012

This is my first time visiting Baku and my first time staying at Grand Hotel Europe. I love the services offered by this hotel. Friendly and helpful staff. The General Manager is a kind and friendly person. Always greet me with a smile. The restaurant serve good breakfast daily. Delicious buffet dinner. Swimming pool was great, gym, sauna and jacuzzi was superb. I will stay in this hotel again. Cox sag ol Grand Hotel Europe.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank djselinalight
grandeurope, General Manager at Grand Hotel Europe, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

Dear djselinalight,

let me first thank you for your review. It was a pleasure to accomodate you and have you as guest in our hotel. We always try to serve the best service possible. Our Goal is the satisfaction of our guests.

We hope to welcome you again in our hotel and would like to tell you you are always welcome.

Our Best Regards

from the Team of Hotel Europe

Reviewed May 6, 2012

This is my fourth time in Baku and my first time staying at the “Grand Hotel Europe”

The hotel is close to the town and has very good gym and pool facilities, however the outdoor pool was out of service during my stay and the indoor pool looked a little green for me!!

The hotel decor is very nice and well serviced / clean. The rooms are clean and adequate for a short stay (one week) however the wifi is appalling, it is weak, unreliable and you have to pay for it.

The bar is only open during the evening, but the restaurant is open all day. The food is good and the restaurant staff are excellent, which is more than I could say about the reception staff!!!!

As I was having problems with the WiFi I was offered an “upgrade” however this room turned out be of very poor standard and the WiFi was no better.

Baku has changed a lot since the last time I was there and it is amazing town full of life. The airport is greatly improved but you might still get some of the old Soviet attitude e.g. nothing happens without a triple check and double stamp!!!

Getting to Baku form the UK is not easy and Azerbaijan airline are not the top end of travel, however the planes are clean and ‘work’ the staff are excellent and they do a very good measure of whisky!!!! Regrettably I think I have seen the same black and white movie three times now and its not in English.

Room Tip: Ask for one with more than two little windows and with enough plug sockets for all the lights to wor...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Keith H
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I had to stay in this hotel twice recently, both times with a group of co-workers. The reservation was booked by our company so we had no choice. Unfortunately, this hotel does not live up to its self-claim of a "5-star luxury hotel". If you need to be in this area of Baku, I would recommend the Hyatt Regency, which is just around the corner but a much better hotel than the Europa Hotel. There were several issues our group had to deal with.
The internet (advertised on their website as free wi-fi throughout the hotel) was not working 3 of the 4 days we stayed there, and the one day that it was working, it was very slow and kept going on and off.
The water pressure in the hotel was terrible. Showering took forever because the water pressure was so low!
The food in the restaurant was only edible, not even close to the quality that should be expected at a 5-star hotel. The restaurant was always out of glasses, plates, and food in the buffet servers. One time when our group entered the restaurant, there was only one clean glass, and only four other people in the restaurant. When we asked for more glasses, we were told they did not have any more. The buffet servers were always out of food, and we had to ask the waitstaff to get more to refill the containers. The waiters were just standing around, never taking initiative to check this themselves and keep the containers full.
In my room, the tissue box had only 2 tissues in it. Baku is a very dusty city and my allergies were raging. I called reception to ask them to bring more tissues, and was told it was no problem, they would send more. 15 minutes later, nobody had come to my door yet, so I called again, and was again told, "Don't worry, someone will bring some more." Ten minutes later, an employee knocked on my door, empty-handed, and said, "You need something?" He had no idea what I even needed! I told him, yes, I had called because I needed tissues. He told me ok, Five minutes later, one of the housekeepers knocked on my door and offered me one of the hotel's complimentary shaving kits, then when I declined and told her I needed tissues, she offered me the dental kit. Again, I told her I needed tissues, and showed her the empty box in my bathroom, at which point she finally went and got a mostly empty box of tissues (probably from another room, is my guess.) So it took over 30 minutes to get some tissues!
Finally, one of my co-workers arrived at her room and her key card did not work. She called reception from my room to ask them to bring a key to let her into her room. Ten minutes passed before an employee came with a key, but it did not work either. Another ten minutes later, he returned with another key and opened her door, but when she asked for the key (because her key was no longer working, so she needed the key to use when she left and returned) he said no!
I was not impressed by the quality of the hotel or by the service of the employees. If you just want a basic hotel, it is sufficient, but don't have too high of expectations. And don't be fooled when they claim to be a five-star hotel. This hotel does not live up to that claim.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
grandeurope, Geschäftsführer at Grand Hotel Europe, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2012

Dear Guest

let me first thank you for your review which gives us the possibility to improve and correct our services. Regarding the equipment in the restaurant it must be missunderstanding because our equipment in the restaurant is quite enough. During the last weeks we have had several sport groups which had dinner and lunch breakfast buffet style at the same time. Maybe your visit in our restaurant was exactly at this time and because of the limited space at the buffet it happens that unfortunately Glasse, Plates or other other equipment was not enough but just for that moment.

We have completely renovated and refreshed our rooms in 2011 so we certainly update our building but this process is continuing.

Regarding 5 Star Standards up to date I would like outline that 5 Star Hotel Standards international Style are in power for more than 50 years. It is sure that our personal missunderstand you at this time unfortunately several times this day, we would like to apologize for this but to pu the general hotel under the question of 5 Star Standard because of this is not fair. I perfectly understand that you were angry and disappointed but be sure that we will immediately work on this matter.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you a third time so we show you our progress and improvement.

My best Regards

Reviewed March 30, 2012

Good modern place for staying during business trip.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2012

OK it was snowing pretty bad for all but 2 of the days I was in Azerbaijan, but the hotel was dreadful. I have never seen food like this in a 5 star hotel. Even if we had specially selected meal plan, any chef worth his salt would not have prepaired and presented such garbage.

I ordered a bottle of wine in the resturant, and after 5 minutes was told that they did not have that particular wine. No problem, I ordered another bottle, and they not only opened it away from the table without showing it to me, but when I pointed out that it was not the wine I had ordered, the waiter argued with me, that it was. I asked for the wine list again and pointed out that it clearly was not. We moved to another bar and the same happened again!! I asked to speak to the manager, who said sorry and thanked me for my understanding. He at least made sure that the correct wine was available for the rest of the week. All in all we had 9 bottles of wine (at exhorbitant prices), but the cork was broken in the bottle, by the waiters 5 times! My particular room was OK but my collegues rooms were a joke.

Sorry to say, but steer clear of this one.

Room Tip: End of the building, corner suits are best.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mik4647
grandeurope, General Manager at Grand Hotel Europe, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2012

Dear Sir,

Sorry for the inconvenience regarding your stay in our Hotel. Our Golden Caviar Restaurant Menu is a liason between local and international Food. Sometimes unfortunately it happens that
international Guests doesn't find the taste sucessfully as the local Dishes may differs in taste.

But thank you again for your review.We will work on it. We always analyse our departments regarding the quality of services and correct them if it is needed. Be assured that we will do so with this matters.

We wish you all the best

Best Regards

from Baku

Reviewed January 15, 2012

Selection of food in the restaurant is not what was expected in a 5 star hotel.
The housekeeping is generally average, linen needs to be looked into.
The receptionists are helpful.
The hotel needs a bit of a make over.
Thanks

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Dear Sirs,

let me first thank you for your review. This gives us the possibilty to correct our mistakes. Our Hotel has passed a general Refreshing in 2011. They are still some small areas which used to be refreshed but generally the rooms are totally refreshed. The Room linen are changed at this time.

Actually we have nearly completed our new European-Azeri Fusion Food Concepts for our Restaurant and Bar. We implemented the latest Trends as Healthy Food and Inovations. We hope we can welcome you again to show this new Concept

With our best Wishes