“Slow to respond to complaints”

Ranked #2 of 114 Hotels in Baku
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Slow to respond to complaints”
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a week in Jan/Feb the hotel is nice reception staff were friendly. Had to call room service a couple of times because the room hadn't been cleaned but generally it is a nice hotel.
The main problem was they charged me twice for the stay as I paid in advance through Expedia and then the hotel said that they hadn't received it and charged me again and that was a month ago and I'm still waiting for a refund. So unimpressed with the Marriott on their customer service. I usually pay in advance and this is the first time that I have ever had this problem.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Donna H
Guy_Godet, General Manager at JW Marriott Absheron Baku, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear DonnaH

Thank you for your recent comment.

My investigations over the past few days have uncovered that we never received payment from Expedia prior to your departure and as such we needed to charge you accordingly for the Accommodation.

This concern regarding pre-payment should have been made aware to you when you arrived on January 29 and I can only apologise that my team did not make you aware of this at the time.

It was on February 24, only a few days ago, that we were contacted by Expedia in regards to your booking questioning why you had been charged.

What was made apparent and addressed to Expedia was the fact that no payment advice was received along with the booking request and additionally, why it has taken 12 days for them to raise this concern with us.

The following day we received a method of payment from Expedia in regards to your stay and, as you may be already aware, we subsequently refunded the accommodation charges which were incorrectly billed to you.

Unfortunately we have still not heard from Expedia as to why it took them 12 days to action your concerns however I have my colleagues following up on this so as to ensure that this doesn’t occur again in the future to you or other guests.

Whilst this is never a nice experience, I trust that you can appreciate that we would never wish to double charge any guest and I hope that this does not cloud your otherwise enjoyable stay with us.

I sincerely apologise again for any inconvenience this has caused and I wish to thank for choosing to stay at JW Marriott Absheron Baku.

I hope your travels bring you back to Azerbaijan soon where I look forward to personally welcoming you back.

Kind regards,

Guy Godet,
General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is truly one of the out-standing hotels in the city and that is a big statement when there are several first class hotels here. For someone who spends a large part of his business life traveling, I have a rather cynical view on both reviews and hotel service. But when it is of this level, then I can only applaud the standard of service and more importantly welcome. For a 5 star hotel, it has all of the amenities that you would expect but where is really excels over the others, is that little extra personal service and attention to detail. The welcome is friendly, helpful and genuine - no force smiles and rehearsed greetings but a genuine attempt to put the customer at ease, which they achieve effortlessly. SO rather than a gushing tribute - these guy's have gained my respect.

Room Tip: The corner suites over looking the sea are out-standing
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank jdmLondon
Dear jdmLondon,

I would like to thank you for leaving a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay at the JW Marriott Absheron Baku Hotel.

We are very pleased to learn that you were generally satisfied with your stay.

Please note that your feedback and comments are very important for us and are shared with our team for encouragement and improvement.

Tbilisi, Georgia
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I must say that JW Marriott in Baku has almost all facilities to make your stay perfect: good location, perfect view, great rooms.Hotel is good for both business travellers and tourists.
The staff at the reception is friendly. The rooms are perfect, very modern, with fancy bathroom, very comfortable bed, espresso machine and great design.
Hotel has two restaurants:one is Italian and another offers azeri, punjab abnd persion dishes. I tried Italian and must say that food is really deliciose.
They have a very good spa with big swimming pool, sauna and the atmosphere over there is calm and relaxing! The only thing which was not great is that I got used shampoo and shower gel at the spa...Not only me by the way, so itäs not a coincidence therefore.That's not good to economize on such small things when you are managing JW Marriott, so I guess the management should pay attention at this.
Warning! The breakfast is quite expensive! The internet in the room as well. So be ready for some additional expenses!
Overall JW Marriott is certainly good hotel and definetely one of the best in Baku.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Flower53_10
Dear Flower53_10,

We are very pleased to learn that you were satisfied with your stay. At the same time, deep thanks for positive comments about our restaurants and spa.

There are feedbacks like yours which motivate us and our team to always improve and deliver best services to our valuable guests.

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is one of the best choices to stay in Baku. The rooms with sea view are large and fully equipped with all amenities a luxury hotel should have. It is recommended to stay in one of the executive rooms on higher floors with great view. The executive lounge has all services, provides full breakfast and canapés with a wide selection of drinks during the evening hours. The fitness, the swimming pool, the sauna are located at the top floors with stunning views of Baku modern and old city.
The service is great overall, yet the restaurant service (Fireworks) was slightly slow and not very attentive as it should be in such an upscale property.
Overall JW Marriott Absheron is the hotel to be in Baku.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank travelogue88
Guy_Godet, General Manager at JW Marriott Absheron Baku, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear seawolf63,

I would like to thank you for taking your time to leave a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay at the JW Marriott Absheron Baku Hotel.

We are very pleased to learn that you were generally satisfied with your stay.
It gives us a pleasure to learn that you throughly enjoyed our sea view room as well as our gym and pool facilities. We are also happy to know that food and beverage offerings at the Executive Lounge left you satisfied and our Associates in general were responsive to your requests and/or needs throughout your stay.

May I take this opportunity to wish you a wonderful Festive season and a very successful 2013!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed for a week during the FIFA Women's U-17 World Cup Quarter Finals.The interior decor of this hotel is absolutely amazing. Right from the reception through the eating areas, to the lifts, the feeling you get is as if you are at an interior decor exhibition and this is topped once you enter your room. My room no. was 1802.The view from my room was breath taking during the day and spectacular at night.The room was very spacious and well kept. I particularly enjoyed the gym, spa and swimming pool located above my room. The location of the hotel is excellent.it allowed us to take strolls through the Bulvar as well as visit the old town and the underground market. A tip, choose seaside view when booking a room.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Kweku E
Dear Kweku E,

I would like to thank you for taking your time to leave a review on TripAdvisor after your stay at the JW Marriott Absheron Baku Hotel.

It is a great pleasure to learn that you truly enjoyed your stay with us and our Hotel's interior design, a room overlooking Caspian sea, pool & gym facilities as well as Absheron Spa met your expectations and needs.
We are also glad that you had a chance to take advantage of our Hotel's prime location and explored a beautiful seafront Boulevard and historical core of Baku - the Old City.

Again, thank you for your feedback and for choosing the JW Marriott Absheron Baku and we look forward to welcoming you back on your future visit to Baku.

Saint-Etienne, France
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This hotel will be part of the Baku identity and heritage for many years to come. It is a splendid building superbly located. I hope they will continue focusing on customer's service and satisfaction. Most of the staff is very amicable and competent, a few are still new on the job and being trained, but they will get there. The facilities are astounding and well managed. During your reservation you should request a room with sea view, it is really breathtaking. If you are offered the opportunity of an upgrade, try room 1912 or similar. The rooms are modern and comfortable, but I have two complaints: 1) the lights in the bathroom are not powerful enough to shave in front of the mirror; 2) same in the bedroom, lights are not suitable to handwriting or reading; these are certainly "hitches" typical of a new hotel and I hope they can fix that. As for the two restaurants on the 2nd floor, one offers excellent breakfast and lunch buffets and the other high quality Italian cuisine a la carte. There are two bars which are also good. I ordered room service twice, it was fast and it was good. At the gym, all treadmills face the Caspian Sea and the harbour and the music at the was pleasant and loud enough, so I didnot need to use my i-pod. Whether for business or pleasure, you will have a memorable stay. If I come back to Baku another time, I will definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with sea view are much better. If you are given the opportunity of an ugrade, try room 1912 or...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ALEX R
Guy_Godet, General Manager at JW Marriott Absheron Baku, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear ALEX R,

We are very pleased to learn that you were generally satisfied with your stay.
It gives us a pleasure to learn that you throughly enjoyed Hotel's prime location, your room overlooking the Caspian Sea, breakfast at Fireworks Oriental Kitchen as well as dining experience at OroNero Bar & Ristorante.
We appreciate your comment in regard with insufficient lighting in the bathroom and bedroom. I would like kindly to inform you that every room has personal lighting controls which allow a guest to customize level of light. However we will review our standard settings in this regard.

various
Reviewed December 20, 2012

What a place, the rooms are awesome with double doors opening onto a fantastic bathroom, totally equipped with every comfort, the views are amazing, the decor is perfect, it is imacculately clean. The pool was beautiful, the staff could not be nicer, even the bar was inexpensive. This is probably the nicest hotel I have stayed in over the last 10 years. I did not want to leave!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank roderrs
Dear rodders,

We are very pleased to learn that you were generally satisfied with your stay.
It gives us a pleasure to learn that you throughly enjoyed our pool on 22nd floor and our room and bathroom facilities have met your expectations. We are also happy to know that our Associates were responsive to your requests and/or needs and remained at your service throughout your stay.