“Glistening new hotel in a burgeoning metropolis!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of JW Marriott Absheron Baku

Ranked #2 of 114 Hotels in Baku
Makati, Philippines
“Glistening new hotel in a burgeoning metropolis!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Definitely one of the best hotels I've stayed in. It's a no-nonsense business hotel that just recently opened. It's in the center of downtown Baku, just right across from Government House and the boardwalk along the Caspian Sea. The lobby is impressive, with the staff having the right amount of unobtrusive hospitality, quickly checking me in to my room, which has all the bells and whistles of a top-notch business hotel. The room is fairly large, with high roofs, huge tub in a bathroom having a rainshower fixture, and rolling doors that open up to the bed. The best part is the huge glass windows that offer a lovely vista of the glistening downtown of Baku. Be sure to ask for a room facing south, so you can have a marvelous view of Government House and the amazing Flame Towers in the distance. The view is especially spectacular at night, when the whole place is lit up, and the Flame Towers provide an impressive light show.
The room has everything you'd want to have, like an iPod dock, office supplies, and an ironing board. They have a pod-type cappuccino machine, but the pods don't come free, as well as wi-fi connection, which is expensive at around 20 euros a day, but is lightning fast.

They have a good breakfast spread, but hopefully they should provide more variety for those who stay more than 3 days. But I loved that they provide freshly-squeezed orange juice and cappuccino. The waiters are friendly, and can speak passable English.

Yes, the place is indeed convenient for walking. Just go down to the restaurant area on the 2nd floor, exit from the south to the Government House. There's an escalator that brings you to a tunnel that crosses over to the waterfront. Just 5 minutes walk to the Park Bulvar shopping center and its basement supermarket. Few more minutes walking on the boardwalk brings you to several fountains, new buildings, and beyond the Hilton, the old walled city, which is especially picturesque at night. The shopping streets are also nearby.

Overall, a highly-recommended hotel, for it's location, facilities and friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Government house, and on a higher floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank TheShrike_inManila
Guy_Godet, General Manager at JW Marriott Absheron Baku, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear TheShrike_inManila,

I would like to thank you for taking your time to leave a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay at the JW Marriott Absheron Baku Hotel.

We are very pleased to learn that you were generally satisfied with your stay. It gives us a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our room and its view as well as hotel facilities overall.

Thank you for pointing out the issue with coffee pods as in fact they are offered to our guests for free. Unfortunately confusion occured due to the reason that outdated minibar menu was placed in your room where coffee is still listed for fee. Please accept my sincere apology in this regard and I do hope that you will have a chance to enjoy your coffee on your next stay with us.

Please note that your feedback and comments are very important for us and are shared with our team for encouragement and improvement.

JW Marriott Absheron Baku

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I recently spent a long weekend in Baku. We stayed at the Absheron and were pleased that we did. We had a sea view room, and could see the entire city skyline as well as Baku's waterfront. The hotel is conveniently located for walking (and Baku is a walking city for sure!) The restaurants were good (we only tried the Italian). Room service was fairly reasonably priced (esp since Baku is a fairly expensive city to dine in). The beds were very comfortable! In all, a terrific trip. All this in spite of it being City Race weekend so the city was incredibly crowded and busy and the hotel was located right in the middle of the race track.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Guy_Godet, General Manager at JW Marriott Absheron Baku, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking your time to leave your review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay at the JW Marriott Absheron Baku Hotel.

We are very pleased to learn that you were generally satisfied with your stay.

Again thank you for your feedback and for choosing the JW Marriott Absheron Baku Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back on your future visit to Baku.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Overall, I enjoyed this hotel and would stay here again. There are a few areas where they could improve but no deal-breakers for me. The staff were all very friendly, and must mention by name Rashid, one of the door staff, who went out of his way to answer my questions about the area, restaurants, etc. I picked here to stay in over the Hilton because of recommendations from my in-country colleagues; one plus up is that Wi-Fi is included in the price.

When I checked in and was escorted to my room, I noticed immediately that the room was NOT non-smoking as had been reserved. The staff person (Rashid, actually) quickly made a call down to the front desk and remedied the issue; we went up one floor where I was provided a much fresher smelling abode. The view wasn't anything of note since I was at this point far enough to the side of the hotel that I couldn't even sneak a peak at the sea. I mostly looked out over construction.

The fitness room, on the other hand, comes with a fantastic view. The equipment is in good shape and there is plenty of it. Bring your own equipment, though - the equipment is designed for iPods (which I don't have, sadly, in this case) but otherwise there was no space for magazines, and the TV/radio on the machines was not working. It's a bit of a puzzle getting up there, though, as the elevator only goes to the floor below, unless there was a method I missed.

The breakfast buffet included many options but left something to be desired in terms of quality. The best, no question, was the made-to-order omelet. As another reviewer noted, the baked goods especially were covered with little flies. Thinking back, I was really, can't-leave-the-room sick one day - I'd blamed it on the pizza and salad I ordered in, but perhaps the culprit was really that donut I knew I shouldn't have eaten...

On that note, I was permitted to order in pizza ... though then again, I didn't ask. I just made the call myself, and the delivery person brought the pizza to the reception desk at the restaurant. Calls to local landlines are free, but I think calls to mobiles will be charged.

The room itself was very nice, very comfortable bedding. Tastefully appointed with a great layout. Enjoyed the overhead shower option. Occasionally got a whiff of sewage in the area where the toilet is but it generally subsided and didn't really bother me. Room service was prompt, and night service usually came with a little treat.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest ,

We are very pleased to learn that you were generally satisfied with your stay. It gives us a pleasure to learn that you throughly enjoyed our fitness facilities with breathtaking city & sea overview and your intend to come back.

Kristiansand, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was a Hotel stay that I will not forget, and I hope that my company Aker Solutions can come to a agreement to use this Hotel in the future.
The stay is recommendebel and have epoken of this Hotel to all my collages. From first floor to the swimming pool at the top is just outstanding. The view of the Baku city from the balcony was fantastic from seeing the Crystal Hall to the Flame Towers.

Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to learn that you were generally satisfied with your stay.

Again, thank you for your feedback and for choosing the JW Marriott Absheron Baku and we look forward to welcoming you back on your future visit to Baku.

McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

A fantastic hotel, from the moment that we arrived until the moment we departed (well past official check-out time) the staff and management of this hotel were perfect!

We arrived, as i think most visitors to Baku will, at about 2am and found three staff ready willing to assist me & my colleagues to check-in. They had our info, made copies of our documents and credit cards and had us in our rooms in no time. Even better, we had been upgraded to complimentary access & use of the executive lounge, which is great when you're traveling with a group for work, just to have a place to meet and chat, okay and share a drink, too!

Since we were here for work, we only had 3 hours one day to make use of all the facilities: I elected to hit the gym, pool and spa! The gym has a view that's not to be missed (REALLY even if you don't work-out - stroll through, grab a bottle of water & a piece of fruit and go out to see the 360 degree view of the Caspian sea & city of Baku), with a wonderful outdoor area to enjoy it from. The equipment and staff were excellent, providing everything you could imagine. The pool wasn't available as they had just added some chemicals so I was cautioned to wait, but fortunately the spa was able to accommodate me for a last minute 1 hour massage that was strong and relaxing - just what the Doctor ordered!

Ohh, and I almost forgot to mention breakfast - wow! It doesn't get any better than this... everything you could imagine and great coffee too!

This hotel was just perfect! I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: executive level with a view!
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to learn that you were generally satisfied with your stay highlighting your breakfast and executive lounge experience. It also gives us a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our fitness facilities with fantastic city and sea view which it offers as well as spa treatment you had at the Absheron Spa.

Please note that your ratings and comments are very important for us and are shared with our team for encouragement and improvement.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel is very new and has some of the greatest urban views and accommodating staff I have ever encountered. Having replaced the old Absheron Hotel across from the Boulevard on Baku's billion dollar mile, this hotel is quite lovely in a breathtaking location. Get the view towards Government House. With newness comes kinks. My lights blew and the sink did not work, but repairs were made immediately. The staff was very nice. I was part of a conference and my reservation was misplaced but I am not sure where the blame lies. In any event all was straightened out. The health club and pool are on top and really worth a visit. Stunning! I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Get the view
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking your time to leave a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay at the JW Marriott Absheron BakuHotel.

We are very pleased to learn that you were generally satisfied with your stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for some inconveniences you faced during your stay.
It gives us a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed our rooftop fitness & pool facilities.
We are also glad to know that quality of our services met your expectations and you have an intent to return to our property.

Again, thank you for your feedback and for choosing the JW Marriott Abshern Baku and we look forward to welcoming you back on your future visit to Baku.

Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

What an amazing hotel. Excellent desighn! The staff is friendly, welcoming that you do not want to leave this hotel. We did stay on the 13 floor and had a super view of the city. Exelent terraces with beautiful view! This is the place to stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tomas145
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to learn that you were generally satisfied with your stay and enjoyed the view from our rooms and terraces.

Again thank you for your feedback and for choosing the JW Marriott Absheron Baku and we look forward to welcoming you back on your future visit to Baku.