“Beautiful New Property in Beautiful Baku”

Ranked #2 of 116 Hotels in Baku
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel is very new and has some of the greatest urban views and accommodating staff I have ever encountered. Having replaced the old Absheron Hotel across from the Boulevard on Baku's billion dollar mile, this hotel is quite lovely in a breathtaking location. Get the view towards Government House. With newness comes kinks. My lights blew and the sink did not work, but repairs were made immediately. The staff was very nice. I was part of a conference and my reservation was misplaced but I am not sure where the blame lies. In any event all was straightened out. The health club and pool are on top and really worth a visit. Stunning! I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Get the view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Guy_Godet, General Manager at JW Marriott Absheron Baku, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking your time to leave a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay at the JW Marriott Absheron BakuHotel.

We are very pleased to learn that you were generally satisfied with your stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for some inconveniences you faced during your stay.
It gives us a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed our rooftop fitness & pool facilities.
We are also glad to know that quality of our services met your expectations and you have an intent to return to our property.
Please note that your feedback and comments are very important for us and are shared with our team for encouragement and improvement.

Again, thank you for your feedback and for choosing the JW Marriott Abshern Baku and we look forward to welcoming you back on your future visit to Baku.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

What an amazing hotel. Excellent desighn! The staff is friendly, welcoming that you do not want to leave this hotel. We did stay on the 13 floor and had a super view of the city. Exelent terraces with beautiful view! This is the place to stay!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tomas145

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking your time to leave a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay at the JW Marriott Absheron Baku Hotel.

We are very pleased to learn that you were generally satisfied with your stay and enjoyed the view from our rooms and terraces.

Please note that your ratings and comments are very important for us and are shared with our team for encouragement and improvement.

Again thank you for your feedback and for choosing the JW Marriott Absheron Baku and we look forward to welcoming you back on your future visit to Baku.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed here with my wife for a night in September. We were due to meet associates nearby so it was a good option. In terms of overall stay quality it was good but definately room for improvement. The stay was good except for the check-in/check-out experience. I wasn't happy with the original room, and asked to change which they obliged after a slight delay.

On check-in however I had prepaid so was suprised to be asked to pay a small extra charge in addition to local tax. I was told this was for internal accounting purposes, however the charge was on the bill at check-out. Although quickly resolved, it did delay me at 6am checking out as a result. No big deal though.

Good Points
+ Italian Restaurant - excellent service. Although not cheap and portions were not substantial, service was excellent. Waiter and waitress were very well trained and genuinely kind.

+ Swimming Pool - excellent pool area and there was a lovely man working at the pool area who was exceptionally kind and attentive.

+Bar - Nice bar and good service.

Bad Points
- Check in (see above). It may have been my imagination but the agent was very aloof/rude in terms of service. I felt as if I was bothering her with my request/questions.

- Lack of tea/coffee at 5am in the morning. My wife had an early morning meeting and they hoped to be able to at least get a coffee or tea - but nothing was available.

Overall Opinion
A better option than the Hilton - I would definately stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking your time to leave a review on TripAdvisor after your stay at the JW Marriott Absheron Hotel in September, 2012.

We are very pleased to learn that you and your spouse were generally satisfied with your stay.
We are sorry for some misunderstanding and lack of service quality you faced during check in. We are constantly working on training of our associates and hopefully you will have a chance to experience a professional and careful attitude of hotel associates on your next stay with us,
It gives us a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed service and food at OroNero Bar Ristorante as well as at Razzmatazz Bar.

Again, thank you for your feedback and for choosing the JW Marriott Absheron Baku and we look forward to welcoming you back on your future visit to Baku.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

This hotel is quite lovely but as other reviewers have said, still has some room for improvement. We had a few problems including a problem with noise. Both problems were corrected but I didnt have the same feeling of superior service I had at the Marriott properties in Georgia and Armenia overall. There were some pockets of excellent service - a couple of front desk staff members (I dont remember their names unfortunately but one was from Nakhchievan), the concierge lounge staff, and the car service driver, all of whom were locals.

We took the arranged car service from the airport. It's nice but overpriced. On the return, the hotel arranged for a taxi and there was a miscommunication on the pricing. So make sure you confirm with driver and the hotel and both know this to save any kind of discussion later.

The sheki paklava in the lounge is amazing! They also made omelets for us daily. The lounge staff was awesome!

Unrelated to the hotel but if you codeshare on Azal with Air France, make sure you confirm your flight. We were not in their system. It worked out in the end but was kind of a pain for the staff at the airport.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SJ2007
Reviewed July 25, 2012

It is a beautiful building, from the stunning decor in the lobby to the modern Euro designed rooms. Sometimes the emphasis on design outweighed practicality, though: signage was discrete enough to be almost invisible, which made finding things a bit tougher than it has to be. And do you really need separate programmable lighting systems for the bath and the sleeping area? But those are minor things, and it was indeed one of the most physically attractive - and comfortable - hotels I have ever stayed in.

But physical attraction isn't everything. Where the Absheron falls short is service. Yes, the staff all very much want to be helpful, are all extremely polite and will no doubt be very good some day in the future. But now, they seem a bit . . . uncertain. Lots of smiles and somewhat panicked looks when asked a question -- example from my efforts to find dinner in the hotel other than in the two restaurants:
Me: "Can I get food in the bar?"
Bartender: "No" (smile, awkward pause) "But you can get a snack." (awkward pause)
Me: "Errm, OK, what kind of snacks do you have?"
Bartender: (producing menu) "Oh, just little pieces of meat. Not food."

Okay, then . . .!

The restaurants in particular need some work. I ended up in the pan-asian restaurant, again beautiful, but service was very very (very) slow despite an approximately one-to-one wait staff-to-diner ration. My salad and "Lahori kebab" (which was suspiciously Azerbaijani rather than Punjabi) took more than an hour to reach me. It was OK, I was on the terrace and the evening was beautiful. It will all get better with time.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Three_0f_Us
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Stayed in the JW for 4 nights on business. Rooms are excellent, good beds and well designed bathrooms.
The iPod doc and working station in the room were a real home from home. Gym and pool were first class and the staff very helpfully.

Well done Baku, another big step forward...

Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank David O
Reviewed June 13, 2012

this hotel was opened at the beginning of May. just one week before our visit. Brand new and luxurious hotel. Staff from all over the world "pampers" you like a best guest ever. sometimes they try it too hard. It seems that they afraid to do any mistake.
Restaurants and food in the hotel in general are very good. It costs more than somewhere in the city, but not really much more. Sauna, swimming pool and SPA zone are perfect. they are situated on the top of the hotel and offer a great view over the city and harbour.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business