“Beautiful Location”
Review of Hilton Baku

Hilton Baku
Ranked #6 of 118 Hotels in Baku
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The pros: a very nice location, right on the Boulevard, safe, 15 min walk to the pedestrian zone and downtown, next door to a large shopping mall, a newer property, a clean room with the modern design, great breakfast (got it for free cause it was part of the deal)!
The cons: a very slow check-in and check-out; when we arrived due to a rally, the streets around the hotel were closed and bellmen were watching me and my colleague walking for 300 m with heavy suitcases, they made an attempt to help only when we were entering the hotel lobby; in spa got my appointment for facial rescheduled twice and as the bottom line, the facial lady was late for the appointment... :)
To sum up, my stay was nice, but mainly because I felt in love with Baku 7 years ago and I am still in love with this one of the most undiscovered gems in the world.. and the hotel location was excellent to help discover more of the city's secrets. However, if I would have to pay for this hotel from my own pocket, I would probably try to find smth else with a slightly better service.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank SmileyTravel
TolgaAytan, Manager at Hilton Baku, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear Guest,

While happy to see that you were satisfied with most of our services, I am sorry to see that we failed to meet your expectations in arrival at the hotel and spa services. Please accept my apologies for our shortfalls and the inconvenience we have caused. The City Challenge Car races indeed restricted access not only to the hotel but to the down town area in general. Unfortunately we had no control over the roads that were blocked but tried to ease the restrictions by providing guests checking in and checking out of the hotel by shuttling them to the contact desk by golf carts and also by helping with the carrying of their luggage. Obviously our team members failed to identify and react in assisting you. Regarding the Spa treatment being late this is unacceptable and has been brought to the attention of the Spa manager and corrective action has been taken to make sure that such incidents do not happen again.

Meanwhile, I certainly hope that these incidents do not prevent you from favoring our Hilton family of hotels wherever your travels take you.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is well located. 10-15 walk from old town, and very close to Baku's shopping area. Also across the street from the beach. Service is good. The gym is fairly well equipped, and the bar on the 25th floor has an amazing view

Room Tip: High level, on the sea front

Dear guest,

I am happy to read that you found our facilities and especially the service to your satisfaction. We will continue training our staff with the goal of to exceed expectations and up-keep the facilities to ensure continuity and consistency.

Meanwhile, we will be looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel, and to any of the many Hilton family of hotels & resorts worldwide.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel looks like an old hotel in S. Francisco, with elevators that runs outside in crystal view from the lobby. After a busy day, You can go at 25th floor at the revolving bar and restaurant. Very Impressive, with a great wiew of the city.

Room Tip: higher floor rooms are very quiete, and all side have interesting wiew
1  Thank pfranzo
TolgaAytan, Manager at Hilton Baku, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear Pfanzo,

Thank you very much for having selected our Hilton Baku.I am really happy to read that you were satisfied with your stay with us.
We will continue training our staff and up-keeping the facilities to ensure continuity and consistency.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel, and to any of the many Hilton family of hotels & resorts worldwide.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

My funniest Hilton experience. The hotel is brand new and centrally located. Nice pool, great views over the sea, separate suanas and steam rooms for men and women, modern gym. Revolving bar on the top floor with stunning views over Baku at night. Overall, the hotel is grand and imposing, inside and outside, and looks like a real Hilton, but all the little wierd things that happen leave an impression that this is an impersonation, not the real thing.

The air conditioning in my first room stubbornly refused to go lower than 25C. They moved me to another room, where the temperature was set always at 22.5C. The second room was cooler, but at nigt filled with a strange stink. During the day, someone upstairs drilled and hammered. Lifts live their own life in the building and now and then refuse to let you out on the desired floor. The water in the shower in the sauna is hot, no matter what you do with the tap.
The jacuzzi was designed by the aliens -- standard human beings have difficulties adapting to the strange curves, to enjoy the bubbles.

Hotel staff are very polite and attentive (especially when one complains), but be prepared to ask them everything twice, as they don't seem to know what they are doing.

The odd feeling that this is an impersonation is bolstered by real London cabs that sit waiting at the front of the hotel -- driven by locals who speak Azeri only.

Going back to the airport, take the cab -- savor the experience of a London cab driving like a Lada! You open your eyes, and you are in a London cab, you close them and feel you are in a Lada. Not to be missed!

1  Thank MaxV_96
TolgaAytan, Manager at Hilton Baku, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Dear Sergei P,

Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch.

I must admit that we faced some technical issues in the spa during the period you stayed with the hot/cold water pressure control system. I am happy to say that the problem has been solved and I am sure we will not face the same inconvenience again. The design of our lifts enable us to reduce energy costs while reducing waiting times for guests on the floors. The difference in the operation of these lifts compared to conventional ones are that the floor required to go to has to be entered on the lift landing before entering the lift itself. If the lift is entered without designating the floor requested, this would result in going to the floors the lift was called to by other guests as there is no way of controlling the lift from the inside.

You posting will be used during our monthly training sessions with our team members as an example and corrective actions are being taken to improve our team members attentiveness and follow-up on guest issues.

The Taxi company is nor run by the Hilton but rest assured that your comments have been brought to their attention and a close follow-up will be done on their performance.

Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. I would love to have you come back and give us another chance to prove that this is not usual for our hotel. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at tolga.aytan@hilton.com if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Sincerely

Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

Pluses:
- good location
- great view
- good SPA
But the service is poor. I felt like being in a 3-star hotel in Egypt: elevators missing my floor or stopping without opening their doors, my air condition that was 25 degrees and could not be fixed, a constant noise of electric drills and hammers. My room was not tided up every day, even if it was -- there always were missing towels or bathroom amenities. No slippers, no bathrobes. The personnel seemed always either very busy or not at their working places (e.g. concierge). Reception staff couldn't give any good advice on restaurants or explain how to get somewhere (they offered a taxi when actually the place were in a 5 min walk). Waiters gave menus and disappeared. I was waiting for 15 minutes to take my order in the panoramic bar on the 25th floor then another 10 minutes to have my drink. I asked for an Earl Grey tea and got a cup of black tea with lemon instead.
My requests to fix or check something in my room were met enthusiastically but actually nothing was done. Every request should be repeated twice, even to bring a bread or give a city-map. Bringing bills was the only thing that was performed quickly.
I think that the hotel has not been ready yet for taking guests. There are a lot of defects and unfinished things, the personnel's level is below par for such a reputable hotel's chain.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Sertova
Reviewed October 24, 2012

This hotel is perfectly situated in the very centre of the city and in front of the Caspian Sea!
The staff is very polite, friendly and helpful :)
The rooms are big and with a really cool view!!!
I have loved my stay in this hotel and the city of Baku and I really recommend this place :-)))

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
TolgaAytan, Manager at Hilton Baku, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2012

Dear guest,

I am happy to read that you found our facilities and services to your satisfaction. It seems like we have started to see the results of the time and training we have invested with our team members. We will continue training our staff with the goal of to exceed expectations and up-keep the facilities to ensure continuity and consistency.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

This is a modern new hotel in Baku which sits on the water and gives great views of the Caspian Sea. There is a 360 degree bar on the top floor that actually rotates around, you just have to be able to deal with the horrible stink of smoke because everyone smokes. I had a couple of issues with the hotel, for one I upgraded to an executive room which gets you breakfast and access to the lounge that has some drinks and food but for all of that extra money you still don't get free internet in the room!! Free internet is only in the lobby and executive lounge but truth be told it did somehow worked in my room although not very well. Another problem was my TV in the room every time that I turned it on it had to reboot like a computer and the brightness kept going higher and lower on its own. The room itself was very nice with a comfortable bed and sheets with a nice size bathroom. There is a nice spa and swimming pool on the 23rd floor. The other concern was that there was no concierge and the people behind the desk were not very helpful when it came to suggesting touring in the area or sites to see, they basically give you a map and that's it. The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the old city. Overall it's a good hotel but if you can afford it I would definitely stay at the four seasons- that hotel is magnificent.

As far as Baku itself, when you arrive at the airport the bathrooms are being renovated by luggage claim so i hope you don't have to go. There is a taxi line and it should cost around 25 AZN to the city and get used to some crazy driving. When you get money at the airport ATM don't expect much privacy people like to look up close at what you are doing (must be a cultural thing). Also be very careful about taking pictures, I was warned on my return out of Baku when I took a picture at the airport that I could be pulled off the plane and put in jail for taking a picture. There are not many traffic lights so walking the streets can be risky at times most street crossing is done underground. As far as touring is concerned there was not much to see other than the old city but you will find that most people do not come here to tour but rather for oil business.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room that faces the Flame buildings, at night the LED lights on the outside make i...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank travelxpertNY
TolgaAytan, Manager at Hilton Baku, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear guest, thank you very much for having stayed at the Hilton Baku, and also for having posted your review.

I am happy to read that you found most facilities and services to your satisfaction, however it seems that we failed to impress you some areas. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience we caused. Your valuable feedback regarding the concierge has been shared with our Frond Office Manager and corrective actions will be taken. Regarding smoking in the bar, as you have mentioned a majority of our guest do smoke and unfortunately due to the rotation of the bar it is not possible to separate in to smoking and non smoking sections.

The TV system used in our rooms are IPTV that provides higher picture quality and enable trouble free Video on demand therefore go through a boot process when turning on. The fluctuation of the light level on the other hand is something that should not happen. Would you be so kind enough to forward you stay details to me via tolga.aytan@hilton.com so I can have the TV checked?

While I understand your point of view about free internet we will not be able to provide this service free of charge to all guests until the brand makes this decision on a global basis. Having said this, internet is free in public areas to all guests and free throughout the hotel to all Gold & Diamond HHonors members.