“Envoy the Excellent”

Ranked #1 of 137 Specialty Lodging in Yerevan
land of Oz
“Envoy the Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

Like its counterpart in Tbilisi, Envoy is everything a hostel should be. Stupendously clean, spacious and welcoming. We also did the essential Armenia tour which was fantastic and excellent value for money. Would recommend to anyone considering a visit to Yerevan.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Judging by the other positive reviews, I fear most of my disappointment might stem from staying in their newer location in Tbilisi, first. But, value and location aside, I found the Yerevan location to be just average.

When I arrived in the morning, I expected a similar greeting to what I received in Tbilisi. I knew I wouldn't be able to check in, but I wished the staff checking me in would have been a little more welcoming. I was permitted to store my luggage, but aside from that, nobody really went out of their way to make me feel welcome. When I did check in, later in the afternoon, the bathrooms had not yet been cleaned. In addition to dirty toilets, I was pretty grossed out to see a used sanitary napkin in one of the showers.

Breakfast was very disappointing. Again, spoiled by Tbilisi, I expected similar. But instead, I had to wait for about a half hour after the advertised starting time one day, and the food was not fresh. Bread was stale and portions of cheese and butter were about 1/3 the size of Tbilisi hostel.

Ask to see the rooms first. The first night I was in 4-bed room, but it was awkward because you had to walk through an 8 person room and down a few steps to access it. It was damp and smelly, and the other guest sharing it was staying for several weeks (I think that might have been contributing to the smell) and therefore had huge amounts of luggage. He also liked to walk around naked. On top of that, there seemed to be an apartment above that room, and the TV/household noises at night were unbelievably loud.

The remaining nights I stayed in the 8-person room. Despite being a little cheaper it was infinitely cleaner and more comfortable.

Although I'd booked a tour several days in advance, it was cancelled, due to lack of interest, though I did talk to other guests who said they had inquired about it as well. Staff did refer me to Hyur tours, which was a pretty decent value, but definitely didn't have the personal touch that I would have received from Envoy. In addition, I had booked the Friday tour to go back to Tbilisi, also several weeks in advance, but this was also cancelled due to lack of interest. Staff didn't offer me any other alternatives. Though again, I did learn from other guests that they had also wanted to take that tour, and upon finding out it had been cancelled, staff assisted them with hiring a private taxi for the trip and tour. This service was not offered to me, even when I asked about it, and I ended up going by marshrutka and missing out on the sites in Northern Armenia I had hoped to see.

All in all, it's a good value for the location, and about half the staff are friendly and helpful. But, unlike the polished perfection of their Tbilisi location, Yerevan Tbilisi is solidly average.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank nobo
Essex, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

As a first time visitor to Yerevan, I was very happy to receive a warm welcome when I arrived. The hostel is situated centrally and there are shops, supermarkets and bars all within easy walking distance. I was surprised how everything stays open very late or even 24 hours, so you can change money or go to a restaurant or shop whenever you like. I found the hostel to be extremely clean and well organised and the showers are great, with constant hot water. The breakfasts are good and are served downstairs in the large common room and sitting area. I stayed there in November and was pleased that there were others around out of season too. The Envoy staff will provide any information and advice about travelling around and are happy to arrange a taxi for you.
A real plus about the Envoy, is that it is smoke free. And this is not the case in restaurants and cafes around Yerevan. Unfortunately, I was unwell for some days, but all the Envoy staff went out of their way to look after me and went shopping, prepared me food, drinks, organised a visit by paramedics and cared for me as if I were at home. They even checked me during the night. I cannot thank them enough. They were all absolutely fantastic. If I ever return to Yerevan, I will definately stay at the Envoy and would thoroughly recommend it to other travellers. Also the Envoy in Tbilisi.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Zagreb
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

While staying in Yerevan we have taken two tours in August of 2012. The first one was Inspiring Armenia which was really nice experience but a bit tedious long drive, although the driver was something speeding like crazy. We have almost had an accident when a young Molokan boy suddenly ran in front of the van, but the driver had really good reflexes. In my opinion the half an hour Dilijan stop should have easily be skipped or they could have made a short pause somewhere else where we could have gotten the refreshment. The Essential Armenia tour was not tedious and really fun. Finally, the girl that took us around on the Enchanted Yerevan - by Night free walking tour was nice and knowledgable.

However, the highlight of the both one-day excursions were the lunches with the Armenian families at their own house or garden where you can taste really delicious home cooking you otherwise probably wouldn't. Also the guide which we had on the both trips was very knowledgable and fun to listen to, knew the answers to the all the questions we have asked and in general very nice. Also we've gotten pick-up and drop-off to our hostel we were staying in on both ocassions with no problem at all. All in all they were very efficient and I would certainly recommend their tours.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed in this hostel twice in October and would probably stay there again if I'm going back to Yerevan.

The hostel is well located, on a calm street in the center of Yerevan. The center is rather compact, so It's easy to walk everywhere from the hostel.

The first time I stayed there, it was in a nice private room. This room was upstairs and had a nice balcony. The balcony was nice, but it would be even nicer with a chair and a little table. I think all the private rooms are upstairs and i think there are four rooms on this floor. These rooms share one shower and one toilet. There facilies were always clean and I did never have to wait to take a shower or go to the toilet. The only problem with the shower was that the drain was partly blocked, so it became like a small swimming pool after some minutes of showering.

I had booked my room for single use, but it was actually a room with a bunk bed. The room was small and basic, but clean and bright. There's free wifi which was fast when it worked, but sometimes it broke down.

Breakfast is included when you stay in this hostel. The breakfast was nice and filling. You have the choice of coffee or tea, I did not try the tea, but the coffee was cheap instant coffee. It would be so much nicer to get a cup of real coffee.

The staff in the reception is very helpful and nice. Some of them also work on the tours that they organice. The tours are great value, it's probably the best way to see sights outside of the capital. The guides are very nice, they speak very good english (better than I do) and they know everything about their country.

When I came back to Yerevan for my second stay, I was a little bit upset when I found out that there wasn't a room for me even if I had a reservation. They offered me to stay for free in a dorm and they did even give me a discount for some of the nights during my first stay (which was already paid for, so I got some money back!). I think it's a big mistake for a hotel or a hostel to not honor reservations, but at least it was very good that they gave me a compensation.

To stay in the dorm was not as nice as staying in a private room (I think I'm too old for dorms now...). The dorm was downstairs and did only have a very small window. I also got the impression that the dorms, showers and toilets downstairs were not as clean as the private rooms upstairs. It was also much noisier to stay in the dorm. Not only because some of the guys in the dorm were snoring very loudly, but also because there were people talking outside the dorm and there was a lot of noise from the bathrooms.

Room Tip: If you book a private room, try to get the one with the balcony!