“Spacious rooms, basic furnishings”
Review of Hrazdan Hotel

Hrazdan Hotel
Ranked #49 of 71 Hotels in Yerevan
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed in this hotel while on a tour of Armenia in July, 2012 and found it satisfactory overall. The rooms are quite spacious and contain a mini fridge, an air-conditioning unit producing almost adequate cooling and beds which could use supportive new mattresses. All the furnishings are very basic. There is a large dining room serving a nice breakfast, although instant coffee is all that can be had. Hotel staff is friendly and accommodating. The hotel also has an outdoor swimming pool. Restaurants are a 20-minute walk away.
Global New York City

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank globalNewYorkCity

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I was booked into this hotel by the company that organised ny tour, spotting it was low on Trip Advisor's list I queried this but was persuaded by reports of good views of Mt Ararat, but then they put me in a room with no view of Mt Ararat, and said there were no rooms with view available, a dubious claim given that there were so few people around.
It is on the edge of town - not a huge hike but the direct route involves a bit of scouting around, climbing steps etc. It is in effectively the same grounds as the Presidents Palace, so I guess it is as safe as anywhere!
It has an outdoor swimming pool with only one thing missing - water!
One very clear morning I guessed there would be a great view of Mt Ararat (there was) and took myself up as far as the lift/elevator would go only to find a floor of rooms all out of service with a kind of locked cage leading up to the higher floor. All very spooky.
They did open an unoccupied room with a view so I could take a photo - that's one of the rooms that wasn't available.
There never seemed to be more than about 8 people for breakfast, so consequently they didn't bother too much. Breakfast was grim. In the evening the restaurant was a furniture display, lots of tables and chairs and no people. Not surprising - empty hotel, restaurant door closed, no menu outside.
The lady who looked after the floor I was in, cleaning rooms etc, was great - did my laundry etc etc. The only bright spark in the place.
Next time I will stick to my guns about not accepting a place at the lower end of the Trip Advisor list.

Room Tip: Insist on a high room with a Mount Ararat view
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank RedHeadPeter
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I traveled to this hotel with my family for a weekend trip, so i opted for a family suite. I was given a room on the night floor with great views. The rooms are big and have a separate bedroom, which suited my needs fine. For the size of the room the A/C unit is not sufficient and having big windows, it was very difficult to maintain an adequate cool room temperature, especially in the second bedroom. The rooms require some kind of renovation but are generally clean. The breakfast in the hotel is terrific, not just on the variety and quality but also on the hygienic standards. Grabbing most of the food items with your hands in order to fill your plate is not a good practice. Also noticed the restaurant/food manager re-arranging the food on the breakfast table with his bare hands. The location of the hotel is not very central, but with a taxi ( which is quite cheap and easy to take one) you can go almost everywhere in no time. The pool area and cafeteria are good and have also a good variety of food to purchase. The service at the hotel was also very good. Overall, I would recommend this hotel, as after all I believe that it is good value for money.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Hello there,

I spent 5 days in this hotel for business trip, the feedback which I hope to be useful as follows:

Location: the view is fantastic but the hotel is a bit far from the city center of Yerevan thus, location is not good.
Staff: good, friendly and helpful .
Food: is just a joke, the breakfast is really bad.
Value for money: I don’t know [my company paid] but as for Booking.com price is good compare to the price you will pay.
Room: good with a very nice view [I put some pics have been taken from my room].
Bathroom: clean all the time.
WiFi: is really amazing, I have FREE WiFi on my room all the time with very strong signaling, I like this 
Extra services: I arrived at 4:30 am and they gave me my room immediately I like this too 

Room Tip: There is no spa just out door swimming pool
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ShadiALBESS
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I stayed there for four nights on an organised tour. The rooms were indeed very spacious and the beds comfortable. It was quiet and we slept well. Wake up calls were arranged and were always prompt. The breakfast was adequate. We didn't eat there at night, being taken to local restaurants. There are two (very small) lifts and it seemed to take ages to get the group of 30 people back to their rooms after a day out. Getting luggage up and down also took forever. Although we were on the 13th floor we decided to walk up and down (not with luggage!). We had a lovely view over Mt Ararat - a stunning view actually. We also looked over the Presidential palace and were told before hand by our guide that no photos could be taken of the palace complex. There was also a 'no photos sign' stuck to the room window on that side.

There is an ATM in the foyer which didn't work when I tried it - the staff came over to tell me that but my card was already inside - however I went through the whole process and the card came out again. I do believe that someone from our group was able to get cash the next day, so maybe it was just a short 'outage'.

I can really only rate the hotel as average as we stayed in two much better ones in other parts of Armenia. However, it was quite adequate. If I was travelling independently I would choose to stay closer to Republic Square.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks out on Mt Ararat
Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank TravelToes99
Reviewed April 21, 2010

Everything that the previous reviewer wrote about this place in 2009 is still true today. HUGE rooms (bigger than most of my friends' apartments/flats), basic but sufficient breakfast buffet is included, my room (904) was a corner room and had wi-fi access in it, though it was weak. Another interesting quirk was that the windows on one side did not open and there was a little sticker on the window with a picture of a camera and a line drawn through it. I didn't know why until my guide told me that the Armenian president lives in the estate just on that side of the hotel. Bed was firm but ok. Bathroom was also huge and shower was great--strong water pressure, hot water...made you not want to get out. Staff was fine (didn't have a lot of interaction as I only stayed one night). Pool looked like it was being worked on, possibly to open it for the coming summer. Didn't watch any TV. Curiously, the bed in my room was tucked into an alcove with no nightstand and no lights next to or over the bed...so no reading in bed before sleep! Very quiet hotel, no noise at all, but then again I'm not even sure there was anybody else staying there as I saw only two other people the next morning at breakfast. This would be a perfectly fine hotel if it weren't for its location. Being a quick 3-5 minute taxi ride (or probably a 15 minute walk, though I didn't do it myself) from Republic Square (ie. downtown) isn't a bad thing, but it's just not convenient and not worth the hassle when you can get a similar--if not better--hotel (Aviatrans) for the same price just 2 blocks off Republic Square.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank GlobetrottingMan
Reviewed June 25, 2009

Hrazdan Hotel is a 15 story block, a leftover from Armenias Soviet past. It has been refurbished and provides sufficiently modern services.

The rooms are huge, almost the size of a small appartment. This way you don't feel cramped, even during a longer stay. Aircon, large bath room. TV mostly with Russian and Armenian channels.

There is free Internet access in the lobby, as well as a computer and printer available for guests.

The service is efficient and generally Armenian style friendly. The restaurant produces a rather basic breakfast buffet, which is sufficient, with continental standard items and some armenian specialties. Other food (lunch and dinner) ist Armenian style. There is a small bar, serving drinks until about 10:00 pm.

The pool was dysfunct during our stay and some grass was growing inside.

the location is a 10 - 15 min walk to the city center. Behind the hotel, a road leads down into the Hrazdan River George, where there are many good and lively restaurants.

Generally the Hotel is very quiet, just a little bit outside of the city center. This is very useful when conducting workshops and seminars, participants don't constantly have to rush out to do some downtown business. At the same time it is close enough to walk into the center or to take a taxi.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business