“Very good city hotel”

Best Western Congress Hotel
Ranked #7 of 71 Hotels in Yerevan
Reviewed September 24, 2011

The hotel is located in the heart of Yerevan, just few steps from Republic Squere and within the walking distance of other major tourist attractions. The hotel features an italian restaurant. It has also a nice garden with big swimming pool. The room are quite spacious, a bit old fashion but very clean. The bathroom was also clean and functional. The towels and bedding material were freshly provided each day. In the room there is TV, minibar, an air-conditioning system. The staff were friendly and helpfull in all the situations. They have a very good breakfast menu, including the usual assortments of eggs, bacon, fruits, sweet treats, etc.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank KubaTraveller
BWCongressHotel, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Congress Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2016

Hello Dear Kuba Traveller,

Thank you very much for your positive opinion about our hotel. We are glad that the location of our hotel helped you much during your stay. We appreciate your opinion about our facilites, comfort and tidiness and want to add that our services are always being updated. Happy to know that you liked our "Rafaello" restaurant and its delicious American buffet. Thank you very much and will be glad to see you again in our hotel.

Best regards,

Karapet Galfayan

Reviewed September 20, 2011

It was rather easy for me to choose the hotel in the Yerevan city centre as there are not many international hotels here. Though intl chain hotel, Best Western experience is usually differs from one place to another. This hotel has typical Armenian character - building design, staff, etc. Overall, very friendly people and memorable experience.

Pros:
- great breakfast to start your day;
- location is very convenient in the centre of everything;
- nice pool area but it was closed - off-season (February);
- free wi-fi internet;
- good bathroom equipped with heated floor.

Cons:
- bed mattress was not comfortable enough;
- no electronic room key system, the trinket was heavy.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank lyagywonok
BWCongressHotel, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Congress Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2016

Dear lyagywonok,

We do thank you for choosing our hotel. There are a lot of changes at the hotel that we'd like you to see and enjoy during your next visit.
Dear guest we want to inform you that we already have an electronic room key system.

Grigor Dovlatyan

Best Western Congress Hotel Yerevan

Reviewed September 18, 2011

I stayed 3 nights ..arriving on a Friday and leaving on Monday . I arrived an hour early but they would not let me go to my room until exactly the minute of check in time ,The hotel caters to bus groups so expect slow front desk service . They issue you a heavy metal key chain plumb which weighs a ton .You have to leave it with them for your own convenience .Getting it back when you return is like take a number please.
The Best Western online advance paid rate included breakfast
but when I arrived the breakfast quickly disappeared .The manager would not go any further than saying NO BREAKFAST ,The breakfast cost 10USD .I ate elsewhere .at a rate far cheaper .
I got no sleep on Sat night as this is a popular place for wedding receptions .My room overlooked the pool so the DJ cranked the volume up till after midnight .If you have an early flight am you have wasted your money paying for the room .
The room was to have a tea kettle but upon arriving at the room none was to be found .I asked the maid in the hall to get one for me .When she returned she stood there expecting a tip ..so I gave her one..She was not on duty again until Monday morning. As I was locking the door behind me
to check out she reopened my door and indicated me to come back in which I refused to do ..She was saying "tip tip "..but she did not look after my room at all while I was there so why should she get a tip for doing nothing to my room ,.Having read about these scams before, I gave her what coins I had indicating that I only had large bills left ..The scam is if you do not tip them they will report to the front desk that you have used something from the minibar.They keep the item for their own use and report it missing from the minibar so you are charged for it upon check out .Try explaining this in Armenian to the front desk .
Also I paid for the room in ADVANCE .AND HAD A RECEIPT ..The girl at check out called the maid to look in the minibar .Lucky for me the tip was enough and she reported nothing missing .
However the front desk now wanted me to pay for the 3 nights .Having learned about this scam before I had the receipt in hand .She looked at it and handed it back .NO APOLOGY !!
NOTHING!!! .I guess that she was disappointed that I had the receipt .
The hotel is close to everything IF YOU WANT TO WALK..Considering the number of tour groups passing through it is clean but the weekend staff leave you without towels and bath mats .I guess that this is another " give me a tip for finding you some" .You have to call down to front desk and wait ..if you awe ther eon the weekend you will wait a long time !
There are no non smoking rooms ..EVERYONE IN ARMENIA SMOKES except the women.
The door boys are lazy as they do not open the door for you and will not have hail a taxi.They will take your luggage to your room but want a tip.Opening doors and hailing taxis do not generate tips ..
Just beaware of the scams ..and check your bill with a fine toothed comb..Allow lots of time to check out to call the manager every English name you can think of ..you may win the battle
if there are onlookers .Oh yes they have idiot security guards watch you check in and check out ..CREEPY .VERY CREEPY !!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid the pool rooms on a Sat night but stay in one during the rest of the week as they are the quie...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank skip n
BWCongressHotel, General Manager at Best Western Congress Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,
thank you for your feedback which will help us improving our service.
Your reservation was done through Best Western System, you chose the EB rate plan which doesn’t include breakfast, so you were informed politely about the cost of the breakfast.
You booked a single room no smoking and quiet, later on you changed the dates of your arrival and departure directly with our Reservation Office and we provided you with a quiet double room at the same price.
In the room description you can find on the Best Western site, it is clearly mentioned that a kettle is included in the amenities of Executive room, for all the other room categories, a kettle is provided for free upon request. We apologize about the maid asking you for money, I’m personally shocked about her behaviour and we will take the necessary measure to avoid that in the future.
Our Front Office Manager dealt with your check in. As you have not prebooked the room from the day before, the room happened to be occupied when you arrived at the hotel. As soon as the guest checked out (by the hotel check out time: 12:00), our housekeeping staff cleaned the room immediately and 20 minutes after (long before the official check in time) you could go to your room.
Our beautiful pool area is a popular location for wedding party; the hotel has a strict policy regarding the music, in fact the music on such occasions is always switched off sharp at 11:00 pm to allow our hotel guests to have their sleep.
At the check out you were asked about your minibar consumption, even if your answer is no, the front desk staff double checks it with the housekeeping staff according to the hotel procedure. If the guest uses the minibar, the hotel charges him, no matter how many tips he/she left to the maid.
Since your bill was already prepaid in advance, the front office staff had no reason to ask you to pay once again. If this was the case, I do apologize.
Our bell boys are always at the guests disposal opening the door or hailing taxi for them. If you remember well our porter Karen hailed a taxi for you as part of his duties, guests are free to leave tips to the staff if they were well served.
I’m very offended you consider our security guards and their job idiot. Our security staff is 24h on duty patrolling all the hotel area for your safety.

Looking forward to welcoming you again at our hotel

Chiara Figini

Reviewed September 13, 2011

The hotel is situated within walking distance of the city center. The rooms were clean and standard-equipped, no problems there at all. Housekeeping worked well and we were also happy with the laundry services. Internet connection was available and worked well.
The restaurant downstairs was excellent, we ate a delicious Italian dinner and can certainly recommend it. The wait staff were professional and polite. The pool area was clean and looked nice enough, although one day it was closed because of a private party.

The only problem we had was with the reception staff at sign-out. We had booked a package with a discount, but the staff were not aware of this and it took them about half an hour to sort everything out with the billing department. We were first presented a bill about twice the real amount. Good thing we had the original internet confirmation printed out. If we had paid the full price, I'd say the hotel were somewhat overpriced. But overall, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
BWCongressHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Congress Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2016

Dear Omenahillo,

Thank you for your comment about our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Our team is always trying to provide guests with high quality customer service. We want to inform you that our "Raffaello" restaurant has new arrivals of dishes from Armenian and Italian cuisine. Also it is nice to know that you liked our open-air "Caribbean" swimming pool which is beloved place of our hotel's guests and locals. Concerning the room price we have flexible discount system and hopefully during your next stay you can book your room at more preferable rate.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in our hotel very soon.

Hayk Voskanyan
Reception Team

Reviewed September 3, 2011

The hotel is conveniently situated in the heart of the city but is way over prized for its services. We had extraordinarily bad experiences concerning services due to a huge wedding that blocked the entire pool and restaurant area for almost 2 days. Additionally, the air condition in the whole hotel did not function during the whole stay of three days despite the sign that they were working on it. After the pool was supposed to be open again, the filtration system broke and turned the water grey. The staff did not seem to be too bothered by these problems, let alone understand the customer's complaints. Only due to our initiative they agreed to pay for a stay at the pool of the golden tulip hotel (which would have been a much better choice).

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank carsten80
BWCongressHotel, General Manager at Best Western Congress Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2011

Dear Carsten,
the Italian Management of the Best Western Congress Hotel is very much concerned about our guests’ feedbacks on our services.
The biggest problem we had to face starting from September 2, 2011 was connected with the air conditioning system. Unfortunately the entire system failed unexpectedly and men were at work immediately in order to replace 5 ton broken machine with a new one. This operation took us just 4 days; I’m glad to inform you that the air conditioning system is now perfectly functioning in our hotel.
We used to have a very open and honest approach to each guest of ours. As soon as the problem to the air conditioning occurred, we immediately hanged an apologizing sign explaining all the steps that had to be taken to solve the issue.
Regarding your complaint about our Swimming pool, we would like to inform you that our pool is a unique place in Yerevan loved by our hotel guests and by locals who choose it as the best venue for their wedding ceremony.
The wedding ceremony took place on September 3, 2011 just at the pool (and not in the restaurant area) and started at 5:30 pm until 11 pm.
It is true that in order to set up the area for the wedding, the pool has been closed on September 3, 2011 from the morning. Informative signs about the event were placed around the hotel.
When you and your colleague approached our Reception expressing your dissatisfaction about the not functioning air conditioning and the pool closed, we accepted immediately your request to spend your day at the pool in Golden Tulip Hotel Yerevan.
Although on the day after the pool was functioning normally, we again accepted your request to go to the Golden Tulip Hotel Yerevan pool.
You will be glad to know that Golden Tulip Hotel Yerevan is owned by the same Italian company and it is ruled by the same Italian management.
On Sunday morning the water was not perfectly clear due to the heavy rain fell on the night before. We did not experience any technical problem and we apologize for the misinformation you received. In this regard, we would like you to tell us (if you remember) who among our staff provide you with the wrong information.
The Best Western Congress Hotel Swimming Pool as well as the Golden Tulip Hotel Yerevan Pool are well-known and loved by our hotel guests and pool members for the clearness and cleanliness of the water. An appointed team (the same for both the hotels) is constantly treating the water and monitoring the PH and Chlorine levels using the best branded chemical products and controlling the water temperature.
You can easily understand that the problem of the water opacity was solved in a shorter time at the Golden Tulip Hotel Yerevan Pool (thanks to the smaller size of the pool itself). We can assure you that the water opacity is not connected to the cleanliness and hygiene of the pool which as I already told you are constantly monitored.
We hope to see you again in Best Western Congress Hotel so that you can experience our best service.

Chiara Figini

Reviewed August 28, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for a whole week and I can point out so many pleasant things : the room was everyday tidy and clean, I had a nice view, a lovely swimming pool and a friendly staff always there do help you out.
The hotel is well located, two minutes away from the Republic Square.
The room had a lot of space for all the wardrobe.
Concerning the bathroom, it was clean and there was hot water. What else can you ask for?

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank basra42

Hello Dear basra42,

Thank you for taking time and leaving the review. We appreciate your opinion about our hotel which is really very important for us. We are glad to know that you liked our facilites,tidiness and comfort. Happy to know that the location of our hotel helped you much during your stay. Our team is always doing their best to manage your stay in a most comfortable way.

Looking forward to welcoming you again to our Hotel.

Best regards,

Karapet Galfayan

Reviewed August 6, 2011

The location of the hotel is excellent for sightseeing in Yerevan. Some of the minibus stations and metro is within walking distance.

Staff speaks very little English. When we once returned to our room during our stay, the housekeeping had taken al the towels but had not yeat cleaned the room nor replaced the towels. When we called the reception they did not know what the word towel means. We explained what one does with a towel and then someone from the housekeeping came to see what the problem was. This is no big deal but it is good to know that you cannot expect too much in English.

We had an issue with a minibar bill they tried to make us pay even though we had not used the minibar at all. Naturally we refused firmly (this discussion was conducted twice). This sort of thing often happens in hotels, so it is not a big deal but normally, one discussion (argument) is enough to end the trouble but here they insisted more.

Room was okay, not very large but clean. Modern bathroom.

We heard no traffic noise or noise from other rooms and slept well.

Breakfast was excellent, definitely better than I had expected.

The hotel offered good value for money and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank kauris

Dear kauris,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that our central location close to the Republic Square and American breakfast made of homemade and natural products had impressed you. It is very disappointing for us to hear that you had issues mentioned above, but as you stayed at our hotel approximately 5 years ago we want to ensure you that you will not face the similar problems anymore. Our team is doing everything to provide guests with high quality customer service. Hopefully you'll have the better experience during your next stay.

We are looking forward to welcoming you in our hotel again very soon.

Hayk Voskanyan