“Poor Service, Poor Policies”

Armenia Marriott Hotel Yerevan
Ranked #7 of 71 Hotels in Yerevan
Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is my second review of this place, as I needed to update my first one.
When you check in in this hotel, your card will be pre-authorized for the amount equal to cost of your room for the duration of your stay, which is another way of making you pre-pay for the service which you didn't yet receive. This alone I find dubious practice in Marriott, but what the hell.
During check out there was no connection to the bank or the card machine was broken and the receptionist charged my card again, promising to cancel the pre-authorisation.
Now I have received the statement and there are in fact two charges for my stay. I called the hotel in order to get this sorted, but the person on the other end could not find the record of my stay - which was about 3 weeks ago... Poor service, poor policies, another stay at any Marriott is very unlikely for me. I'd rather stay at no name hotel and get proper service then have my expectations not met by a brand name which seemingly means something in the hotel world.
From my last review - the rooms (at least on the third floor) are located in a different part of a building, so you need to do some exploring in order to get there. Location is good, right in the centre of town, near government buildings.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank MrRommie
Anahit S, Executive Assistant at Armenia Marriott Hotel Yerevan, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Dear Sir,

On behalf of our General Manager I would like to thank you for this review.

We did an investigation on the issue that you are indicating. The Credit Card pre-authorization is a standard procedure for all high level hotel, which is done for benefit of both sides and of course for fastening the check-out process for our guests. There can always be technical problems, which we try to avoid, but not always are capable to do so and we are very thankful to you for bringing this matter to our attention. We are going to take some action in order to eliminate this kind of unpleasant situation for our guests.

Also we are very pleased that you mentioned Armenia Marriott's great location and we hope to have a chance to host you again in one of our Square view rooms, so you can fully enjoy all the advantages of our location.

Best regards,
Anahit

Reviewed April 5, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 5 night. The building is a monument itself. The republic square is lovely and close to everything you need. Our room was spacious and clean and on top of that the staff made you feel at home. Very professional, yet friendly.
I love to go back there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Stayed here for 10 nights on business, and my wife joined me for the weekend. Location on Republic Square is priceless with access to many nice restaurants and stores in just about every direction. Staff and service are top notch. Rooms are clean and large. In-room safe and iron and ironing board were a very welcome touch. My wife said the bed was one of the most comfortable she had ever slept in and they provided plenty of pillows and two types at that. Room had a bathtub w/ shower head which my wife prefers. We had a nice dinner at La Cucina Restaurant on the second floor, overlooking Republic Square. Great meal with a great view. Breakfast buffet was nice with a good variety of foods to choose from. There is a children's play area next to a small indoor cafe so parents can enjoy a nice gelato, pastries and coffee while keeping an eye on the children. Hotel laundry service is quick, efficient and reliable. I used it every two or three days with no problem and it was reasonably priced. The Cristal Bar on the main floor with the adjacent cafe is very nice and includes a good menu. There is a very nice private alcove on the second floor overlooking the bar. You can access it by going up the back stairs by the cafe counter with cakes, pastries, sandwiches, confectioneries and drinks.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Some of you may remember that during Soviet times each country had the one top hotel to house top party officials. In Yerevan this was the Hotel Armenia. It was subsequently renamed the Marriott Armenia in 1994. Excellent location right on Republic square. The staff are great. Armen and Marian at the front desk, doorman Toran who can help you out with almost everything, the great lounge staffers on the 6th floor who were all great and especially standing out were Marine and Marianne, and the stern faced short order cook who cooked the most awesome omelets whose name I can't remember. Thank you for taking care of us and making us feel at home. Compliments to the great Food and Beverage manager who sources excellent foodstuffs and who has put together such a great team. The open buffet breakfast is a six star offering with all kinds of local delicacies and pastries. There are some newer hotels being opened on Republic Square but this place is of a different standard of its own. All hotels have some good and some bad rooms and this hotel is not the exception. My only negative feedback is concerning the "Housekeeping" department. It was a constant task to get the room serviced before the late afternoon. Understandably they may have been understaffed at times but restocking the room with amenities was an issue as well. One of the negative outliers when it comes to housekeeping at Marriott standards.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank hotelreview77
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I have been to this hotel for two nights and I was not disappointed. The rooms were - compared to most of the Marriott hotels in the western hemisphere - huge, a room for clothing and luggage, a living room, a bedroom and a bathroom. The room are comfy and clean. The blankets are very thin though. Internet is not for free unless you are at least Gold Reward Member, however, the rates for internet access were quite affordable. Wifi connection is very reliable.
The lounge is open 24hrs, the staff leaves at around 11pm.
The hotel is located in the center of the city, close by are a couple of different restaurants, pizzeria, local food and of course the unavoidable fastfood chains (KFC, etc.). Breakfast and Dinner in the lounge certainly meets Marriott standards.
I can recommend this hotel to anyone going to Yerevan, for business or pleasure.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Piper202
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I stayed here with friends in February 2014.

Positives
The hotel was well located in Republic Square, the center of Yerevan
The rooms are a reasonable size and the bathrooms were as you would expect from a Marriot hotel
There was the normal selection of English TV channels – Sky News, CNBC, Bloomberg, CNN, etc

Negatives
The hotel charged USD 15 per day for wi-fi in the rooms (this is unacceptable for 5 star hotels)
There was free wi-fi in the public areas, but it was not very good
The breakfast section was reasonable, but not as good as other Marriott hotels that I stayed at
Parts of the hotel could have done with some updating (e.g. some of the walls could have done with some new paint)
I asked to borrow a charged and they would only sell one. Not what you would expect from a 5 star hotel!
The hotel did not have a spa.

Would I stay here again?
It is unlikely I will be going back to Yerevan, unless I am getting a brandy cask from the Yerevan Brandy Company. However, I try and make a point of not going to hotels that charge for wi-fi.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank PQ971
Anahit S, Executive Assistant at Armenia Marriott Hotel Yerevan, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

we would like to express our appreciation to you for taking the time to write about your
experience at your property. Your comments are very valuable for us and were shared with all Managers for future development of services that we provide.

Have a nice day and best regards!

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Had a two week stay Aug 2013 for business here. Hotel was lovely. Location was great! Staff was friendly and helpful. Exercise room was spacious, room was always tidy. Internet was down for repairs a few days, but my office was close by so I could use from there.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business