“Okay, but room for improvement”

Sushi Toria Yerevan
Ranked #360 of 597 Restaurants in Yerevan
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: The most successful and popular sushi restaurant in Yerevan. Located in the very heart of the city. Our restaurant provides relaxing atmosphere along with high level of service and of course the best quality. Our staff is very friendly and speaks different foreign languages. We value the loyalty of our customers and do everything to maintain our best qualities, set from the very first day of opening.
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Okay, but room for improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

My wife and I enjoy sushi and make a point of seeking it out whenever we travel. The good news: even in landlocked Armenia, you can find sushi, at least in Yerevan. Just keep your expectations realistic. It won't be fresh from the sea, but it can still be quite good. The bad news: the service and ambiance may detract from the dining experience.

Smoking is allowed in 99% of the restaurants in Armenia. Unfortunately, Sushi Toria is in that 99%. The idea of a nonsmoking area in most Armenian restaurants means there is a table without an ashtray on it. The table next to yours can still have four guys chain-smoking away as if smoking will be banned after midnight. Something to keep in mind if you are nonsmokers, or, like my wife, extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke.

Regarding Sushi Toria, it was okay but there is plenty of potential if they really want to step up their game.
The dining area: There is a more formal dining area up front, with tables and chairs. There is a more casual/open area in the back adjacent to the bar and kitchen with tables and low sofas along the wall. Decor was nice, music was not Japanese, more like something you would hear on a pop/rock radio station.

Service: Slow, but satisfactory. We had to call out to get someone's attention from time to time even though the restaurant was not packed.

The Food: Hit and miss. Be forewarned, the food you receive will not necessarily resemble the pictures shown in the menu. For example: My wife likes Udon. After living in Japan for 5 years, she knows her Udon. The Udon shown in the menu had udon noodles. She was served Udon with ramen noodles. The rest: some good, some not so good. The Good: Spicy Tuna. So good, we ordered a follow-up serving. The not so good: Ebi Tempura, Gyoza (fried), Ebi Tempura Roll, Green Dragon sushi, and Fried Bananas with Chocolate.
Ebi Tempura: Tempura has a special taste and texture to it when done right. It should be dipped in batter and deep fried just long enough for it to come out light and crunchy. The Ebi Tempura came out closer to something one would associate to fried chicken. Good for Popeye's, not so good in a sushi place.
Gyoza: The gyoza served at Sushi Toria were not hand made which in itself is not necessarily a bad thing. But they were over-fried and did not taste good at all. I had the feeling the restaurant bought the cheapest gyoza they could find with minimal ingredients/filling.
Ebi Tempura Roll: We couldn't find any ebi in the roll. Seriously.
Green Dragon Sushi: Okay, but we wouldn't order it again.
Fried Bananas with Chocolate: We tried them for dessert. Would not recommend.

Would we go back? Yes, but only for the Spicy Tuna and perhaps to try some of the other spicy sushi entrees as well.

• Visited March 2014

Yerevan, Yerevan, Armenia
“The worst experience I ever had in a restaurant. Horrible service! Disrespectful attitude!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

If you are looking to have a nice time enjoying sushi, avoid Sushi Toria !!

We visited Sushi Toria on Sunday. We choose the table .The waitress gave us the menu to choose. We picked from the menu. The waiter took the order. Approximately 30 minutes passed, the waitress came to us asking to leave the table and move to the other section, bringing the excuse that the table is reserved . I want to mention that initially there wasn’t any “reserved” sign and even if that table was reserved why we weren’t informed about it at the beginning. Maybe the women customer who came was one of the stuff members relative or friend , or maybe permanent client I can only guess . But it is not a customer service ! What we experiences was really humiliating! And we just decided to leave the place.

• Visited August 2013
Colma, California, United States
“nice interior but the whole thing seems like a joke!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

By the whole thing I mean the entire Sushi/Oriental atmosphere/idea.
The furniture was fine, but the music was terrible. I'd imagine ethnic music or something close. God, even music from Kill BIll would be more oriental than what they had. it was just plain pop music. That's what you get at a restaurant that advertises themselves the most popular sushi place.

The staff was also quite ignorant. At one point I was even suspecting the waiter was high.

Nevertheless, friends persisted in staying there. I'm not a big fan of sushi where they dont have ocean, but I figured i should try something. It looked fine although not exactly what I saw on the photo in the menu. Not a big deal, It was a shrimp roll. Didn't feel fresh in my mouth to be honest, I even poked my throat with it.

in the end friends payed about 35,000amd for just 4 people eating sushi and me eating a single shrimp edomae. Was it worth it?! NO. FREAKING. WAY.

as other reviewers said, stay away. may be earlier this place was good (assuming from the good reviews) but my visit was just terrible!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Venedict V
Montreal, Canada
“Horrible service! BAD wine and disrespectful staff!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

Do not waste a sushi night by going to sushi toria! They served us bad wine, refused to take it back when we noticed it was bad (probably homemade and rebottled wine). The frustrating part was not the wine, horrible service....it was the disrespectful manager. If sushi toria has such disrespectful managers than they don't deserve any business! If you're a tourist/foreigner stay away! You will get scammed and it will ruin your evening. sincerely yours

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Raffi A
ToriaKartaYerevan, Public Relations Manager at Sushi Toria Yerevan, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear Raffi,
We are sorry to hear a bad response, But:
1. We do not have listed any home made wine
2. If you do not like the wine do not drink most of it if you expect it not to be charged for
3. We are a sushi restaurant, so do not want to be judged by wine, but by sushi quality.
4. "Customer is always right", but we are sorry not to be able to accept this statement this time.
Thanks for visiting us.
“Bad Service! Bad Management!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

No explaintations after waiting for 50 minutes for the order to be served and leaving after waiting for more 10 minutes!

• Visited April 2013