“you get more than you pay for”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Areg Hotel

Areg Hotel
Ranked #20 of 65 Hotels in Yerevan
Zurich, Switzerland
“you get more than you pay for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

in this friendly hotel you get much more than you pay for. I stayed here for 10 nights and I really came to like it. the staff is very friendly, rooms are clean. they were nice enough to arrange a room for us upon early arrival, and only charged us half of the cost.
sure it is a bit outside town, but with 2 stops on the subway, or 600 (about a euro) for a taxi this is not far away.
Since I was too late (and alone) I did not use their tour service, but looking back at it their prices on that tour was really good. I paid more or less the same doing the tour with local transports, and then I didn't get a guide which they include.

When I go back to Yerevan, I will do my best to book this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

Called for a reservation for myself and a colleague a couple days prior to arrival, and got two single rooms for three days. Arrived at 0500 and was given a double room until the place opened for business the next morning. The hotel is not far from the Central train station for Yerevan and metro is within walking distance. The staff is readily availbale to provide a taxi if you need which costs about two dollars to get to Republic Square, the epicenter of Yerevan. As promised, free breakfast in the morning. Russian billiards in the basement and water, soft drinks, beer and wine available around the clock in the lobby. If you need your shirts washed and pressed, also available for almost next to nothing. What really makes the visit, and as mentioned throughout all the reviews, is the warmth and helpfulness of the staff. Always a smile and always ready assist. One additional comment, for those on your first visit to Yervan be sure to check out Freedom Square and especially the "Old Yerevan" restaurant, you will not be sorry.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank kazyol
Ljubljana, Slovenia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

I stayed in the Areg by pure coincidence. I was on a business trip, but my travel to Yerevan was on a very short notice and it was during Armenia's major event - the 20th anniversary of
independence. Needless to say, all the major and not-so major hotels in the city centre were booked out. I browsed through recommendations about hotels or BBs near the centre, and the Areg had some positive ones, including this page. I booked with them directly, and I've
made a good choice. The hotel is clean, the staff keeps up the warm and friendly atmosphere. They are most happy to help you 24/7.My room was large, with everything in it - cable TV (not that you will need it - you will see from your guide books that there is
so much to see in Yerevan alone), air-conditioning was there, too, and a fridge. The bathroom/shower was en suite. The manager of the hotel, Nvard (God bless her, I wish all the managers were like her), speaks fluent English. Other staff speaks at least some English.
Locationwise, nothing to worry about. The metro station is 5-7 minutes walking distance. From there, your second stop will be the Republic Square. A minute or two away from the hotel is a nice market, which has everything - food, drinks, sweets, etc.

All in all, if you pick the Areg, you should be fine. Considering the price of the room and what may expect from a B&B (and I've been in quite some of them in my life), I can only rate it excellent in every respect. And again, I cannot say enough nice words about the staff.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank COK274873
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

OK…I’m in the middle of Armenia in August 2011. Don’t even ask why I was there, it’s a long convoluted and crazy story. It’s late at night and the Marriott in the center of Yerevan seems to be the only game in town, but…their prices for walk ins was ridiculous, and I decided that I wasn’t going to get ripped off like that. To make a long story short I end up at this place called Areg Hotel, a small family run place. It’s not exactly in the center of town, but frankly, there’s not that much to 'the center of town’ lol, so you’re not missing much. It’s close enough by taxi or bus, so that’s not an issue. The best thing about Areg is the warmth and hospitality of the family who runs the place (and I later found out that that pretty much applies to the people of Armenia in general; so very warm. They, in general, are just very nice people). The rooms are quite fine and very spacious, and the breakfast which is included had some local flavor and was enough to get me going for the day. In closing, if for some bizarre reason you find yourself in Yerevan, Armenia, and you’re looking for a place that’s inexpensive and friendly, then Areg is it. You will not regret it!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

I went there for a short holiday (2 days) and I had a good experience. The communication with them before my arrival was fast and clear, they offered me help from the beginning (regarding information, pick-up, etc). Bear in mind that you're going to a small hotel, but it is clean and they have all the facilities for your stay (I got a big room, with big bathroom, hot water, mini fridge, tv/cable, fan -no A/C but didn't mind-, a small lounge). There is a small yard where you have the breakfast (which is included in the fare) and consists in a big basket of bread, boiled eggs, cheese and tea or coffee (but no milk). There is no other meal served but you can have restaurant delivery to your room. I asked them to help me with a short day-tour, they arranged it for me with a tour operator but then a setback happened and as the tour operator didn't show up, the hotel did the tour for me with the help of Nvard (one of the hotel staff) and I was very satisfied with it. Once in Armenia have your mind open to what you will find, since it won't look like western Europe, and you will see the echoes from the communist era, but the nice treasures are hidden and you will find them walking all around the city. People is very calm and polite, they will try to talk to you even if u only know 3 words in armenian or russian, and they'll help you as much as they can, in the streets. Get a phrase book when you go, english is not widely spoken

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank CaTiLo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

Very welcoming from the off. My friend fell seriously ill very soon after we arrived [not connected to hotel or Armenia in any way - problem was apparently waiting to happen] and a call out doctor was arranged very swiftly on request. Rooms are very spacious and prices very reasonable. Rooms etc all very clean. A liitle out of the center but we found that the nearby station was a good landmark for very cheap taxi rides {$2 mostly} [especially when written in Armenian by the hotel staff] .
No pool, but if you want that try lake Seven...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jgooge
Zahle, Lebanon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2009

After a nightmare staying in a rental house in Yerevan, we decided to go to this small hotel that I had found in the net. We stayed there for 5 nights. Its a Nice and clean hotel with friendly staff and small beautifull yard. The location is somehow far from the city center but the metro station is close and you can approach to Republic Square(City Center) just in 10 minutes. Compared to other hotels in Yerevan the price is acceptable. We paid 50 US$ per night for two persons including breakfast (Nov 2006). I Definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends