“Great from the start, even better when things got bad for me.”
Review of Ha Van Hotel

Ha Van Hotel
Ranked #61 of 219 Hotels in Nha Trang
Reviewed September 19, 2010

I stayed at Ha Van hotel near the end of a month long trip to SE Asia with friends. After going to 7 cities, this was one of my favorite hotels.

Form the beginning the staff was incredibly helpful, highlighting the best places to go during the day to relax, where to eat, where to go out at night, and the best places to go that guidebooks might not tell us about. They gave us a free welcome drink -- a REAL one, of our choice, from the bar on the top floor. The bar on the top floor was pretty nice. It was open air, had very cheap drinks and food. The food was much better than your average hotel bar also and without the usual hotel-food-price -- trust me.

On our second day there, my friends and I rented motorbikes from the front desk and they supplied us with a map they created to get to the best beach in the area (NOTE: there is a beach within a 4 minute walk which is very convenient and nice, but we wanted to go see the other beach for on of the 4 days we would spend in the city -- while I'm at it, the location is generally great it is near some mini-marts, a lot of cool bars, and great restaurants). Unfortunately, on my way to the beach I crashed my motorbike and had to go to the hospital. The Ha Van hotel went FAR above and beyond anything you would expect to help me through this situation.

First, when a car pulled to the side of the road after my accident I handed them the card to hotel because I couldn't speak any Vietnamese. The hotel spoke to the driver and worked everything out so that I could get a ride to the hospital and that my friends who had already made it to the beach would be picked up to meet me there -- they did all this without me even speaking a word to the hotel, just the driver that stopped spoke to them.

While I was being treated at the hospital, two representatives from the hotel showed up. The manager, Fred, came on his day off because he was concerned about my well-being. Mr. Ha also came and the two of them helped me communicate with the doctors and nurses through a very frightening time since I was badly injured and in a foreign country where I did not speak the language. All of this was initiated by them, they acted purely out of kindness. Mr. Ha insisted on pushing my wheelchair around the hospital and running next door to the pharmacy to get my medicine. He would check on me daily over the next couple of days and also arranged for a doctor to come to my room every day to continue my treatment.

Over the next couple days I was stuck in my hotel room bed, so you can trust me that the beds are comfortable. I also only ate room service, which was both extraordinarily cheap and satisfying. Their free breakfast was also good and had large portions. The wireless internet worked very well and I used it basically all the time while there. Throughout the time the entire hotel staff was amazingly kind, considerate, and helpful. They acted as true friends and were incredibly helpful during a very difficult time for me. I couldn't recommend the place enough and will definitely stay there again when I come back to see Nha Trang again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 18, 2010

I will fully recommend this hotel, the staff are all friendly. room are great. willing to go the extra mile for us. reach there a day earlier on Sunday when our booking was on Monday, but the staff was understanding and made arrangement for rooms to be ready. The manager of Ha Van Hotel Fred, you will get loads of information from him and the staff as well. its near to all the Bars and Restaurant.

would like to thank all the staff in Ha Van for the Great Stay in Nha Trang will be back for more.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 14, 2010

We stayed at Ha Van for only one night, despite having reserved for 3 nights. I guess the price is right for the type of room; the rooms are decent in general, but we had a pretty terrible stay.
First of all, our bathroom smelt of sewer pretty badly (didn't smell it when we first checked in but when we came back after dinner it was pretty bad). Secondly - and more important in my opinion - is that we hardly slept at all; a combination of bad sound insulation and incredibly rowdy backpacker-ish guests. We were woken up no less than three times in the night by people shouting outside our door (on the third floor, end of hallway), and at one point there seemed to be a screaming drunken fight/argument going on literally at our door. We carried earplugs with us but they didn't help sufficiently. Maybe it's us just getting older and wanting a proper nights' sleep, but it just really bugged me and I couldn't wait to check out...
The next morning we had breakfast and although it was okay, I by no means would give it the rave reviews that other reviewers did - it was mediocre at best and upon leaving, it turned out we had to pay for coffee since you could only order coffee OR juice, not both.
All in all, I wouldn't recommend it... (it also kind of makes me question what types of hotels other reviewers stayed at that commented it was the best hotel they stayed at in Vietnam, but that's a different discussion :-) ) We nevertheless had a great stay in Nha Trang, loved the town and had many lovely meals at the Sailing Club (seriously some of the best food we've had in a long time!)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Flamingosuites, Owner at Ha Van Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2010

Madame,
We feel sorry that you had such a terrible stay at the Ha Van Hotel. We would have been delighted to have helped you alleviate some of the problems you have had should you have communicate your concerns with us. Let me explain.

First concern was the smelly bathroom. The city of Nha Trang are cleaning the sewers 2-3 times per years...sadly, by ‘’stirring’’ the muddy concoction some rooms (really just 6 rooms) start to smell bad quite right away (and for one day). Our mistake is to not have ‘’anticipate’’ the bad smell when we have seen them clean the sewers in town in the afternoon. That said, one other guess was in the same situation as your and came to talk to us about the bad smell. Of course, we have changed the guest to another room without any problems. Moreover, since we realise that we could not well anticipate that problem in the future, we have decided to change our water drains on the problematic rooms; they are now air tight (air tight drains especially ordered from Saigon since they are not available in Nha Trang). That’s the classic operating way of the Ha Van Hotel: if we have a problem we try to fix-it so that the hotel is always in an improving state. We have improved many many things at the hotel in the last 3 years on our guests’ requests (and we are grateful to them).

Your second concern was the noisy room neighbour(s). For that, we are also sorry; it can happen some times, there are thing that are hard to control (and that’s one of them). What I would have done if I was in the same situation is to call the reception, they would have contact the ‘’noisy room’’ and ask them to make less noise (and potentially expulse them). Again, we are quite sorry for your bad sleep but again, it was not a problem that we could not have handle or fix.

As for the breakfast, ‘’mediocre at best’’ would certainly not be my choice of words. If there is something that we can be proud of it is really our breakfasts (so many people cannot be wrong in reviewing it on this website). You might have been surprise to have to pay for an ‘’extra’’ coffee at the checkout but really we wonder why; on our breakfast menu it is clearly stated that you have the choice between the freshly pressed juice and the coffee. If you want to drink a coffee with your juice...it is indeed an extra (a not a very expensive one).

Last thing, you are asking one last question: what kind of travellers could say that our hotel is one of the best hotel they have stayed in Vietnam compare to other type of hotels...Let me answer that one: they are probably saying that because it is what they are thinking and feeling about our hotel. Our hotel is far to be perfect (it is not the first time we are saying that and are not pretending perfection) but our staff is competent, offer excellent services and are quick to help if any problem arise. That’s one of the big differences between our hotels and some other...we are genuinely caring about our guests. If we know there is a problem we will fix it right away. If we can improve the hotel we will do it. When our guests speak, we listen.

We realise that we are probably never seeing you again at the hotel (but we certainly welcome you to give us another shot); my only advice I can give you Madame, and I will sound like my old grandmother: asking is always the first step to receiving.
Nicolas
Ha Van Hotel
Nha Trang

Reviewed September 8, 2010

After traveling Vietnam for a month with friends I can definitively say that this was my favorite hotel in the country. First, it's location cannot be beat. It is within a 5 minute walk to the beach but far enough off the main road to avoid significant traffic noise. It's also just around the corner from the city's most popular bars and restaurants - no taxis needed! Second, the free breakfast they serve was by far the best of any of the 8 or so hotels I stayed at on my trip. The menu is varied and a chef prepares your individual order promptly (I recommend the banana pancakes or the omelete). My friends and I all agreed that we would come to the hotel for their breakfast even if we weren't staying there. Third, the open air rooftop bar is very nice and relaxing and a good place to have a drink (or three) before going out for the night. Unlike some hotel bars, this one is not overpriced.

Lastly, the staff and the service they provided was superior to all other hotels we visited. The employees at the front desk speak fantastic English, which we learned was immensely important in ensuring a smooth stay at a Vietnam hotel (it is incredibly helpful for getting directions, recommendations and assistance with any problems that arise). Beyond language skills the staff went above and beyond to help my friend who was injured on a motorbike. They immediately arranged for him to be taken to the hospital and then stayed with him throughout the entire treatment process to translate and negotiate with the doctors. Employee Mr. Ha took control of the situation at the hospital and made sure my friend was attended to promptly and properly; we felt very secure knowing that he was in charge and had everything under control.

In sum, you can't do better than this hotel in Nha Trang. Further, if you are a US veteran, this would be a great hotel for you because the concierge mentioned above, Mr. Ha, fought alongside US troops in the war and is very fond of visiting veterans.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2010

We stayed in this hotel only for one night, but definitely enjoyed it. For 20 dollar, we got a nice room with A/C and TV including breakfast. The breakfast was amazing compared to what we were used to during our journey. Our highlight was the rooftop bar, where we enjoyed our cocktail for free. Also, a very nice staff! We would definitely recommend this hotel!

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Good size rooms, clean and tidy and best of all cheap. You will not be disappointed if you stay here, its a great location near the night life and beach and the staff were always smiling and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Flamingosuites, Owner at Ha Van Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2010

Dear travellers!
Summer time is almost past for our foreign guests (well here in Nha Trang...it's summer all year long, except 2 months (rainy season but even then it is still hot!). Our team would like to thanks all our guests for another fantastic season and we hope that you have liked Nha Trang as much as we do. Again, this year, some of our guests have so like the city that they have decided to come live here, we welcome them!

Our team would also like express our gratitude to our guests that have write reviews on this site (and/or email us); good or bad they have help us to become better in what we do. Our team value the suggestion given on this site and when possible we are making sure that your recommendations are implemented.
The Ha Van Hotel has been one of the best hotels in Nha Trang on Tripadvisor for the last 3 years and we intend to stay with the top hotels for the foreseeable future!

Lastly, in order to add to our pristine service reputation we have hire a new foreign manager, Frederic K; not surprisingly our guests are already delighted!!!

Have a good stay at the Ha Van Hotel

Nicolas
Owner/Manager of the Ha Van Hotel

Reviewed August 19, 2010

We really liked this little hotel. The staff are excellent, very friendly, helpful, and efficient. The hotel is clean and the rooms are neat and comfortable, even if a bit small. The breakfast is great - very generous servings of fresh fruit and a good selection of different breakfasts. Free internet, 5 mins from the beach, and located in the heart of all the restaurants and shops, the location is perfect. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple