“The nicest place in the nicest city of Vietnam”
Review of Ha Van Hotel

Ha Van Hotel
Ranked #55 of 211 Hotels in Nha Trang
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Sure this is the best price/quality Hotel of Nha Trang because of its wonderful service. The manager and his spouse speak English, viet and French, which help to know the best restaurants and bars to go, but also best place to go in Motobike they rent very cheap for you. From 7 to 77 years old, Ha Van Hotel, with its marvelous Rooftop bar and very clean rooms bar have someting for you!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Ha Van Hotel

Reviewed July 2, 2009

We paid $25/night for a triple. For that price, the hotel was really clean and in a good location close to the beach. But for me, it was probably a little too touristy since all the shops and restaurants were catered to tourists. The closest pho restaurant was way too expensive. The restaurants we ended up loving the most were across town since the hotel is in the southern most section of the town, but the cab rides weren't too pricey (but more expensive than in Saigon).

The bathrooms were the Asian bathrooms with no tub (drain in the floor). This was acceptable but by our 2nd and 3rd nights, the bathroom started to smell like sewage and it was very uncomfortable having to use the bathroom. The beds were on the hard side.

Staff (incl cleaning staff) was friendly but we learned right away to be cautious about services offered. The girl at the front desk in the afternoon offered to hire us a car to drive us to Thap Ba Hot Springs, but for double the price of what we ended up paying for a metered taxi. However, the older man who worked evenings was always very helpful. He would advise how much we should pay for certain services without trying to sell us any. He did quote us a price for a driver for a day which was higher than we wanted to pay, but he was able to find us one for what we were willing to pay.

The hotel offers car service for $15 from the airport. We decided to go w/ the metered taxi drivers harassing us at the airport which was a mistake since that was almost $19 (Lonely Planet advises $10). But on our return trip to the airport we paid $10 by negotiating with taxis. So in retrospect, it may have been easier to hire the hotel car service to avoid the bad experience we had with our taxi driver once we realized how expensive the meter was getting.

Another good pick from TripAdvisor... we learned a lot from this experience. BTW, the beach is packed at 5 am with locals who are avoiding the hot sun and humidity. The weather was very pleasant at this time.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Flamingosuites, Owner at Ha Van Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2009

First I would like to thanks all posters that comment on our hotel.
I would like to rectify some points made in those two last comments.

First: ‘’ but we learned right away to be cautious about services offered. The girl at the front desk in the afternoon offered to hire us a car to drive us to Thap Ba Hot Springs, but for double the price of what we ended up paying for a metered taxi.’’

You paid the double price compare to the taxi meter because when she called the taxi for you it was for both ways. You end up paying the return because you didn’t take the taxi that you went on it. It would never occur to us to try to cheat you or any guests we have at our hotel. We do not function like that. How bad business would it be!

Second: ‘’ The sheets were not very clean and the towels threadbare.’’. We use to clean our sheets at the hotel with water use from our well (most houses in Nha Trang have the same system). The water has some sulphur and iron in it that changed the color of sheets and towel over the time. In no way they are dirty. We now use a commercial cleaning service for our sheets and towel, the problem is fixed some time ago but some legacy towel might look a bit bad (in that case we might have an older discarded towel mixed to our new towel...)

Thirdly: ‘’ Oh and although the advertised commission for booking the train was 10% the girl on reception tried to charge 15%.’’

I was as shock as the poster to have one of my receptions to try charging 15% commission on the train ticket, our policy is 10% and I made it clear that I would not be otherwise. Still, 15% is hardly exaggerated when compare to what travel agency or other hotel charge (often between 25 to 50%). But there is no excuse 10% is 10%.

Fourthly: ‘’ The bathrooms were the Asian bathrooms with no tub (drain in the floor). This was acceptable but by our 2nd and 3rd nights, the bathroom started to smell like sewage and it was very uncomfortable having to use the bathroom.’’

The guest were in one of our ‘’triple room’’ 3 beds in what has been before a twin room. We did that room to accommodate travellers on a tight budget that can’t afford to book two rooms. In that optic the room is a bit small. The door of the bathroom is in front of one of the beds. I guess they let it closed. Ventilate is the solution when you are not in the room. Humidity has to get out. I live in one of the same room on the first floor (yes I live inside the hotel) and let me say that I do not have this problem (and my room is not even clean everyday by our maid).

Finally, I just what to say that not all is perfect in our hotel; we do try to do our best to help our guests to have the best time with us and in Nha Trang. One thing I like to add is that those problems would have been easily resolved in a few minutes if we had been aware of it. Your towel is not looking good? Let us know, we will change it immediately. The cost of your taxi is not what you have been expected? Come and let us know that you are not happy. The bathroom is smelly after 3 days of use...let us find the solution for you (or we will change your room). You have been overcharge compare to a rate we are advertising...ask for the manager.

I am somewhat ‘’amazed’’ to find some of the hotels problem on Tripadvisor when most of them could have been solve on the spot if our guests would just have told us in the first place. I understand that when you are in a hotel you expect to have it perfect. The reality is that we are not perfect and we need the interaction between you, our guests and us, the hotel, to be able to give you the best solutions. Our hotel is a family managed hotel, we try our best to be ‘’more’’ perfect but at the same time we don’t have the same resources as our more expensive competitor.

On a lighter note...don’t hesitate to use our in house masseur, the best in Nha Trang. Also, the rooftop terrace has seen some very interesting evening lately; I invite everyone to enjoy our Rooftop Lounge! A great place to have a COLD beer and a relaxing evening!

Have a good trip in Vietnam.

Reviewed June 23, 2009

We stayed two nights on 20 +21st June. in a balcony room. The staff forgot to turn on the hot water so we had cold showers the first day. The sheets were not very clean and the towels threadbare. The ariel had pulled out of the TV,which I fixed. But the worst thing was that we arranged a wake up call and taxi to catch the train to Danang and didn't get it. Fortunately I woke up in time myself and when we got to the lobby the night staff were sound asleep on the lounges. Oh and although the advertised commision for booking the train was 10% the girl on reception tried to charge 15%.

NhaTrang itself is in a great location, but the town is dull. Lots of hotels but no zip, and the food is ordinary at best. Skip it. However Danang is great.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Razar
Reviewed June 21, 2009

Ha Van has a great location only a few steps from lots of restaurants and a short walk to the beach.

The rooms were lovely & bright with comfy chairs & strong wi-fi connection. The front balcony room on the 1st floor had lots of traffic noise early in the morning so we changed to a quiet room at the side (without any hassle) & we really enjoyed our stay.

The staff were friendly, the aircon was powerful & this was a good value room for only $18.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2009

I stayed in Nha Trang for about 4 days and enjoyed myself greatly. Ha Van is really a wonderful place to stay for the price. It is located maybe a 5-7min walk away from the beach (and Sailing Club). The rooms are large with nice balcony for around $22/night.

The staff at the hotel are great. I booked the hotel through email and Nicolas was extremely helpful before I arrived and confirmed the booking a few days before I got into Nha Trang. Nicolas and his wife were extremely nice when I was there and have incredible plans for making the hotel an even nicer place. Their kids are adorable. I can online imagine this place will get better and better as time goes on.

The bar/lounge on top of the hotel is a great place and I enjoyed drinking there throughout my stay. It is run by a French Canadian named Philip, who was chill and extremely helpful in recommending places to eat and things to see. The beers are cheap and truly cold (which is a surprisingly difficult thing to find throughout the country). I had a White Russian one night as well, and it was out of this world. The Dude would have been proud.

Overall, I think this is a great place. There were a few flaws, such as the room being left open and unairconditioned before I arrived, allowing mosquitos in. There were no shower curtains, so everything sprayed around the bathroom (not uncommon in Vietnam).

I booked a trip to the mud baths one night and didn't pay the hotel one cent (or dong) of commission. The laundry service is incredibly cheap and fast. The internet service is cheap and fast and there are enough channels on TV to find something worth watching. The staff was interested in helping you and so I think the minor flaws are easily made up for.

The diving is nice in Nha Trang, take a dip if you are certified. Get certified if you are not and have the time. I paid $50 for a three dive trip at a place just down the street on the right (it was called Rainbow Dive, maybe?).

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 28, 2009

Nicolas and his lovely wife really looked after us. We were in Na Trang for 4 nights and felt very at home. The room was spotless, balcony was great and the rooftop bar (and staff) was excellent.

On our second day, I hung up my shirt after washing it and in the subsequent stormy weather it blew off the balcony and into the neighbour's property. With Nicolas's help, we tried to retrieve it, but the neighbour was not their and we left it. Upon getting back after dinner, I was informed by Nicolas that he got the shirt, he's wife's washed it and I will get it the next day.

Honestly, nothing was too much effort for them and we really enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2009

The Ha Van hotel was great. We were on the fourth floor and could see a little bit of the sea from our room. The fifth floor bar was great with very cheap icy cold beer. We spent a great hour up in the bar talking to Nicolas (the owner). He is from Canada and lives in the hotel with his wife and young family. He had some great stories and is very knowledgeable about a wide range of subjects. Meeting different people like Nicolas is one of the reasons I travel. We needed to book a flight but we couldn’t get the printer to work and he spent ages ensuring that we got our ticket printed. The facilities in the hotel are clean and all the staff were very helpful. Did I mention the cold beer? A big plus for me was the lift, which saved me struggling up stairs with my bad knee (not everywhere in Vietnam has a lift so if you are a bit older or have mobility issues make sure you check). The hotel is right in the middle of everywhere and a couple of minutes from the beach with a great range of eateries and bars in view of the hotel. We went on an all day boat that the hotel organised for us (about AUD $10) and it would be one of the most entertaining days we have had in our travels. Would go back to the Ha Van anytime!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple