“Great Place to be ripped off”
Review of Long Son Pagoda

and up
Private Nha Trang Half-Day City Tour
Ranked #9 of 111 things to do in Nha Trang
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is one place I really wanted to see, and was scammed from the moment we stepped foot into the place.
Firstly there is NO entrance fee like some places. So the girls at the beginning who tell you they are students maybe they are but not from there. Ignore them and you do NOT need to buy their crappy postcards for some rip off amount so you won't get hounded anymore.
Went to the first temple walked out and met a VERY informative and interesting guy who we learnt a lot from but then almost demanded a lot of money from two females not prepared to argue in a place of worship or with some male who was clearly not part of this religious place. Walked up to sleeping Buddha only to be met by an old man shoving incense sticks in our hands giving us little information then again demanding more money from us, at this point I had had enough told him to speak to his mate downstairs and walked out of the place without seeing what I wanted to see.
This attraction cost us so much money (from cons) and am very disappointed that the monks allow this to happen, what these people are doing is NOT what Buddhism is about and I am sure Karma will prevail.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,580)

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have only given this Pagoda three stars, not because of the Pagoda, but because of the suspect scammers. The temple which is at the base is lovely and I met a gorgeous monk there, who wanted nothing.
The steps to the top aren't too bad and halfway up there is a reclining buddha. Therein lies the problem. At the base I was hassled by a postcard seller, no problem, but at the reclining buddha a smiling older man came up to me and gave me incense and took photos of me and was very friendly. Then he asked for a donation of 200 dong and said it went to the monastery. Unfortunately I only had large notes, so whilst I was looking in my purse, desperate to find something smaller, he grabbed the 200 dong and thanked me for my donation. I was fleeced I fear!! I like to think it went to the monks, but I'm not so sure. I carried on up the steps the beautiful white buddha statue, but my visit was tarnished with the thought of this old man.
Still worth a visit, but like I say, beware!

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I was approached by a very nice Vietnamese lady upon entering this site. She helped me park my bike and started walking with me and telling me about the pagoda and her involvement there. She spoke excellent English, said she was studying, and told me that while the tour is free they do ask for a donation. She stopped half way through and tried to get me to buy postcards for 400k dong. She got quite aggressive when I wouldn't pay the full amount.
Highlight of the visit though was meeting two kids and playing noughts and crosses with them for half an hour!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a fascinating place to visit and definitely add it to the things to see whilst in Nha Trang. Some of the history that is spoken or that you will learn is great. There are monks who reside on the premises and will walk around and have photos with the tourists. As you walk the 150 stairs to get to the top it is worth every breath, or lack of, to see it. The view from the top and also just to really see the size of the Buddha is amazing. Inside the Buddha is a story and the pictures to tell: it is worth a look. As you climb back down make sure you stop to see the large happy sleeping Buddha.
It has a Buddha school on site with monks who reside here and they also have a school next door. Do not be fooled by the 'kids' at the front who may scam you for money by buying post cards and indicate that you didn't pay an entrance fee. It is free. Just scammers!
Add to the list to do whilst in Nha Trang.

1  Thank SLG014
Reviewed September 2, 2013

A beautiful site gives this the rating of 4/5, but it is let down by the scammers (we only encountered one, but he got us, asking for $200,000 for some postcards for the orphanage after giving us a 'tour' of the pagoda), we see others warn of it too (too late for us, but we didn't give the full amount at least). Also really surprised by the living conditions of people at the top near the buddha and the huge amounts of rubbish. A lot of beggars, but not surprising given what we saw in the area.

1  Thank Walfika