“Ok for travel with family”

Vinpearl Nha Trang Resort
Ranked #19 of 211 Hotels in Nha Trang
Reviewed January 19, 2012

This resort is not about luxury and private for honeymoon but ideal for family. Kids can enjoy a lot of entertainment in parks while parents just have to pay for the room. The room rate includes three meals per day but we end up eating out in mainland where the local foods is more interesting rather than eating the same thing almost everyday. The decoration is between 4 and 5 star standard for me, however the staffs are very efficient and smiley. To sum up, I woukd recommend if you travel in family for a short time of 3 or 4 days, this hotel will be perfect. But if you travel in couple, this hotel may not be the best choice in Nha Trang, you will frequently hear childrean screaming and you could find more romantic place o spend together.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank lanna87
There are newer reviews for Vinpearl Nha Trang Resort

Reviewed January 9, 2012

I should start this review by mentioning that I probably would not recommend staying at Vinpearl in high season or a busy weekend. Granted, it is a very large area, but even the largest area can reach its limit with a busy crowd.

I do very, very highly recommend booking the Vinpearl in low season, or during any time that gets you away from big groups and crowds. We stayed there in September, right after school started in Vietnam, and the last holiday (National day) was over. The result: The whole Vinpearl compound was completely empty. I am normally not a big fan of huge hotels, and I really tried to find something to complain about, but: I cannot. Our stay has been great.

The big swimming pool is indeed: Big. There are pools that look bigger on picture, this one is not of that sort. You can swim, swim, swim and still haven't reached the end of it. There are more shallow parts, but even for those who want to do swimming as a sport, there's enough deep parts to be satisfied. The beach area is nothing exceptional, but it is very quiet, and thanks to the fact that Vinpearl is an island: It is completely free of any vendors or other people who try to harass you.

Prices are actually quite reasonable if you keep in mind that all 3 meals are included (and have to be, because, remember, you are on an island). The buffet is huge, offers genuine Vietnamese food and changes daily. Only letdown was the more "Western" stuff in those typical big silver buffet boxes, but you honestly don't need that, if you choose from the fresh food instead. As with almost any buffet on the world, it still can get boring and repetitious after 5 days. In fact, I'd say, one week on Vinpearl island is enough to sample everything and then go on with the good feeling to have left the place before it got boring. It is not easy to get bored though, because right outside the hotel, you have a few "entertainment areas". While I would consider the amusement parc only so-so, the sea aquarium is outstanding for Vietnamese standards! You can definitely spend 1-2 hours there and won't regret it. There could be a few more labels and information on the fish, and I am a bit sceptic about entertainment like a "mermaid" swimming in the big water tank, but all that aside, it's a great place to visit after you spend the days before lying around the pool.

Same goes for the waterpark, which boasts some slides and other usual water activities, and is stunningly fun and empty (again: in low season, I don't know about other times of the year). It is certainly better than any waterpark I've seen in Hanoi or HCMC.

In theory, you can also every evening use the cable car (or the boat) to go back to the mainland and eat out at the restaurants there. In reality, you should be aware that this might take quite a bit of your time, and you probably won't do it, so if you're not the buffet type of person, think twice. (In fact, Vinpear also does have a restaurant with a menu, but we did not try that.)

The gym is not outstanding, but I found it adequate, it had everything you would need, and on top of that a very nice view out to the beach, which makes running on the treadmill all the more fun.

The main difference between the Deluxe and the Executive building in my opinion is the food: Both have different restaurants, the deluxe restaurant looks more like the down to earth type. We were in fact lucky that the deluxe restaurant was under construction for a few days, and we could sample both. I have to admit: Atmosphere and food in the executive ("Lotus") restaurant both seemed much better to me, although they shared the same standard food items. The reason for this might simply be that the Lotus restaurant has more space, more windows, and a higher ceiling, which somehow unconsciously added to the whole food experience?

To sum up: The main advantage of Vinpearl Resort is the fact that it is on a private island. If you want to stroll around Nha Trang, this could also turn into a disadvantage. Apart from that, the resort offers everything you might need during a few days of relaxation.

Room Tip: If you book a "hill view" room, because you think that you won't spend any time in the...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Louisd0r
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Recent 3 day stay at VinPearl Luxury was very disappointing. The design and rooms were pleasant but the new manager has a very big job to get the resort to deliver the sort of service expected based on the advertising. Poor service and poor attitude among some of the service staff, particularly spa staff put a sour end to our vacation. Probably best to leave this venue for a few years until it improves.

Room Tip: Stay at the Sheraton Nha Trang - its fabulous
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank annette231
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We stayed at a five star resort, with meals included, were waited on hand and foot, beach front view for $200 USD per night. Are you kidding me? Where else could you afford something like this? Included in the room rates are:
- 3 meals/day
- free transportation to/from the main island... 24/7!
- admission to the Sea World
- admission to the amusement park
- free arcade games (games are all set to free play)
- private beach

You're literally staying on a fantasy island. It may not be of the same caliber as say, Disney, but this place is fantastic nonetheless. I haven't read all of the reviews, but in simply skimming some of the others... people need to bear in mind that this resort caters mostly to locals, and so there are often communication problems as their English is very limited, if existant at all. I will say that the staff absolutely goes out of their way to accommodate. Even if they don't really understand what it is that you're asking of them.

I stayed here for a few days in October, which is apparently the off season. The resort was fairly empty, which was GREAT for us. despite the resort being probably 1/4 full, they didn't skim back on services at all. the Amusement park was still open late. all of the ride operators stayed working even though the park was completely empty! there was seriously more staff there than guests. i lived my childhood fantasy and rode the roller coaster 6 consecutive times. I never made it to the sea world, but did go the "water show" and could have really done without it.

What i was really there for was the beach. I had been roughing it around other towns in South and Central Vietnam and couldn't wait to be spoiled, fed, and relax on the beach. The beach is beautiful. It sits within a great concave, so the water is warm and calm. The sand is like powder. Fortunately the sun was full blast, and since the beach is private, it's nice and quiet. (again - this is the off season. i'm sure during the summer there are tons of kids running a muck. i don't know why you'd want to be there during the summer though.. i thought I was going to melt at the end of October). Anyway - it's no secret that the waters surrounding Vietnam are quite polluted. At the Nha Trang beach, waters were crystal clear, but garbage washed ashore constantly. That being said, again in a concerted effort to keep the beach pristine, the resort literally has staff dedicated to walk up and down the beach clearing the miscellaneous trash that washes ashore.

I had hoped that the rooms would be a little bit bigger, but we had a balcony, a great view, comfortable beds, and a high water pressure shower so i really can't complain.

This is getting really long - so in summary - I admit that the VinPearl may not have the level of detail as a Ritz but it's pretty damn nice. And the price is just impossibly low for all of the amenities food, etc. available to you. The level of service is high relative to the rest of Vietnam. It may not be a global standard, but they really try. there is even guy who hangs out in the gym to hand you towels. The fact that anyone's complained about this place blows my mind. They need to put into perspective where they are! And if you want more luxury, please pay $1000/night elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank Nicole S
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We are family with two children (16 and 7 years old) so much enjoyed our vacation in Vinpearl. Yet it is not perfect, such as the architecture is very standard, no jacussi in the rest room (delux), no welcoming fruit basket, no gift to children, shops sell fake things, etc. but all these seem minor to what we have had there: a beautiful white sand and clean and quiet beach, a huge swimming pool, free buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner with huge variety of good foods, free play in the amusement and water park, free games and 4D movies, very convenient transportation services. We stayed for just 3 days, so did not have time to try 10 free golf kicks as well as other sports activities organised everyday. Children are well taken care there, as there is a large area in the ground floor for children of all ages to play and draw pictures. We came in December, and the temperature is around 23-28 Censius, little rain from time to time, not many people went to swim in the sea, but we all did and felt great. Last but not least, the seasonal (Christmas) decoration of the hotel is impressive. We will definitely come back (next time may be in the summer).

2  Thank Lien_Le
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at Vinpearl. If you read my other reviews you will note that I am generally quite a fair person and always try to find the best in every place I visit. I go out of my way to commend resorts for outstanding service and provide constructive feedback. In this case, I am sad to say that I don't have a lot of positives to report.

For a hotel that pitches itself in the same league as Disneyland i.e. a happy place for kids (because of the onsite amusement/water park, etc), sadly this resort represents anything but. From rude staff who dared chastise a 2-year-old child for dropping cake crumbs in the foyer to not having enough babysitting staff on hand for one of the busiest weekends of the year when the hotel was at almost full capacity (new years eve), the amount of frustration we experienced during our stay is enough for me to warn people with young children to steer clear.

We live in Saigon and regularly travel throughout Vietnam and Asia so we are used to the "cultural quirks" that tend to get on the nerves of tourists, but Vinpearl has by far exceeded all of the bad experiences we have had in the 3 years we have lived here.

Ok, so let me outline the very few positives. As mentioned in other reviews Vinpearl is indeed a beautiful resort (but it is looking a bit tired). It is very clean and the housekeeping standards are excellent. I could say a lot of negative comments about the resort staff (particularly the staff at the Executive reception desk who couldn't answer a simple question and who don't speak the standard of English that you would expect at a 5-star international resort - although I will say that many of them could speak fluent Russian!) but let me highlight the good employees worthy of a mention.

Firstly, the kids club staff who do a fabulous job under tough conditions. Hotel management don't give them enough staff per child ratio so basically if you have a child over the age of 3 years you are leaving your children in the club at your own risk and they make sure they point out that fact on the big sign as you enter! (under that age you apparently pay for a dedicated babysitter which really just means that the kids club staff who are there are supposed to focus on them and not the other kids!) Ms Thuy and her pregnant colleague (sorry I can't remember her name) are outstanding and show a genuine love of the children in their care.

Also outstanding was Mr Dung at the Beachcomber bar/restaurant. On our first day after we had spent hours arguing with the management regarding the lack of safe babysitting options for our children we sat at the Beachcomber restaurant with our fellow Saigon-based travelers looking pretty perplexed and upset. Mr Dung immediately sensed our frustration (particularly when a mistake in the restaurant ordering process just added to our woes) so he did his best to make sure we were happy and continued to do so throughout our stay. A very professional and friendly personality.

Also, kudos to the young manager Mr Quan (Deluxe building) who took the full brunt of our (and our traveling companion's) complaints regarding child safety issues on both the first and second day. We repeatedly assured him that it wasn't his fault and asked to speak to someone higher up but he was told to fob us off. Basically the managers/owners of this hotel hide behind their young Vietnamese staff rather than coming down to the foyer to face the customers who are expressing genuine concerns.

So now to the major, underlining gripe of our stay. As above, we were staying over the new years eve period. As most hotels around the world do, we were told that we had to pay for a compulsory new years eve gala dinner. For us this was $100++ per adult and $70++ per child. We have 4 year old twins so paying that much for children was a little over the top but we accepted that fact prior to our arrival. When we arrived at the resort we immediately enquired about booking babysitting options for new years eve so we could enjoy the party we had paid for while knowing our children were safe. This is where the fun started. First I was told that we could have sitters in our room until 11pm only. Ok, so new years eve kicks in at midnight so what do I do from 11pm onwards? "Go back to your room and bring them down to the party" was the response! Really? I am supposed to wake up my children and bring them to a party? (a party, by the way, that was held around the swimming pool which presented additional safety concerns for any reasonably responsible adult!) Or, I guess I could miss out on the new years eve 2012 party (that I had been forced to pay USD 400+ for) and return to my room before midnight? Hmmm, not good enough. My friend, traveling with a 2 year old and 1 year old, who was dealing with the management in the deluxe building, was told a different story. All kids in the hotel would have in room babysitters if needed, but after 11pm they would all be transferred to the kids club where they would stay until 1.30am until the parents picked them up! Seriously?? Aside from the fact that moving a sleeping toddler from their bed is not an ideal arrangement, the fact that on further enquiry we discovered that there would possibly be over 100 children (they couldn't confirm a definite number of kids!) and only 2 carers in the kids club was even more of a concern! This discussion went on for over 24 hours with Mr Quan (and others) speaking to us and claiming they were having "management meetings" to discuss. Each resolution was more absurd than the last. We went from being told that we could have in-room sitters until 11pm to an admission that they did not have enough staff so there would be no in-room sitters and only a kids club with a few carers for potentially 100+ kids! When we asked why they could not provide housekeeping staff to babysit in-room (as do most international standard hotels in Asia) the response was that they only used "qualified" professionals! (note - at an international hotel all staff should have police/security background checks. Most reasonable tourists would accept paying a member of housekeeping to watch over their sleeping child - I don't think an early childhood qualification is required!). Regardless, the fact that the management did not see an issue with the unqualified large amount of children possibly in attendance at the kids club versus the small number of staff they were allocating suggests a lack of concern for the safety of the children residing at the resort. We were then told by the kids club staff that they were going to get 5 men from the recreation unit of the resort to help out on the night! Long story short, we pushed the issue and demanded a dedicated sitter for our children in-room otherwise we would expect a refund for the dinner and would simply spend NYE in our hotel room with our kids so we could be ensured of their safety. This was eventually agreed to about 5 hours before the gala dinner was to commence and, surprise surprise, they used housekeeping staff! All in all this made for a very crappy last day of 2011 when we should have been just relaxing.

A note to the management - to force your guests to attend/pay for a compulsory party and then only supply an inadequate, not to mention unsafe, option for babysitting is appalling behavior. What if some of the children in the care of the meagre 5-7 staff members in the kids club had wandered off and drowned in the pool? No parent in their right mind would choose to leave young children under those conditions. I sincerely hope that the few of us who chose to complain and buck the protocol will force you to have a serious rethink about your policies in the future.

14  Thank TeamSomerville
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Our family (2 adults/2 children aged 6 and 8) have just returned from a 6 night stay at Vinpearl Resort and we really enjoyed our stay. We highly recommend this resort for children of any age as there's so much to keep them entertained - the waterslides, amusement park, aquarium and shopping area are all a close buggy ride from the resort (few minutes), so we found ourselves taking multiple trips each day. Great when you have young kids who tend to want to go from one thing to the other and back to the room for short rest breaks. We also appreciated the fact that everything was included in the cost of the room, so we didn't need to take money out with us each day. The facilities are 5 star, the staff are very friendly and helpful, and the food .. wow! We can't speak highly enough of the food - each day we had a wide selection of local and western food (buffet style) for breakfast, lunch and dinner - it is a little pricey, but you are in a 5 star resort after all. The food was always fresh and presented beautifully - even our fussy kids found something to eat each day and enjoyed the experience. All 4 of us crammed into a Deluxe mountain view room - the rooms are really only meant for 3, but we were happy to squeeze in together - after all, you don't spend a lot of time in your room anyway - just sleeping. The pool was incredible (huge!) and the kids had a great time playing in the pirate ship. The only down side was that we had some rain each day we were there, but the temperature ranged from 24 to 27 degrees celcius so it was still warm enough to swim and enjoy outdoor activities. Even though we stayed 6 nights, 4 would probably be enough to relax and enjoy everything the resort has to offer. Oh and did we mention the spa -- well worth a visit whilst you're there. Thanks Vinpearl, we will definitely be coming back to enjoy another holiday here.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room on a non-smoking floor.
7  Thank DuttoFamily